electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Discussion » Composition » lofi
Bhajis Loops- A DAW for your pocket?
Page 2 of 2 [44 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
mtvic

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just registered Microbe from chocopoolp.com
and the demo for Bhajis loops .cool.Ican't put it down
looks like i have to get a new battery before i register Bhajis for the full version.
Olivier the developer of the programs has included his version of
oblique strategies as a plug in.

FLechdrop

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This would almost convince me to buy a palm for use as a portable composition tool. Perhaps it does.
There is another application I would like to use a palm for. I would really like to be able to use the implemented voice recorder for multitracking. So that I could jam out ideas vocally and in several layers. Because of the limited sampling time and interface of Bhajis Loops I expect this isn't possible with this otherwise neat piece of software. Does anyone know of a piece of palm software that will enable me to do so?

EDIT:

Keyboard Magazine review wrote:
The big difference between Bhajis Loops and a full-featured sequencer becomes apparent when you start to arrange your song: You can’t record linear audio tracks. You can record and import long samples, though, depending on your SD card size.

Hm, right. Well that's what I'm looking for (recording linear audio tracks while playing back the other tracks), anyway.

Last edited by FLechdrop on Fri Mar 17, 2006 1:09 pm; edited 3 times in total
opg

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

FLechdrop wrote:
I would really like to be able to use the implemented voice recorder for multitracking. So that I could jam out ideas vocally and in several layers.

Well, if we find an app for this, then websites would be flooded with a capella drum 'n bass....

BEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeew!
FLechdrop

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hehe, believe me, it is not my intention to cause any such thing! Laughing

The idea was that it enables one to record extended musical ideas more quickly and intuitively than would be possible by jotting them down note for note (so that I won't forget everything except for the first measure in the process of jotting down that first measure).
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

FLechdrop wrote:
Because of the limited sampling time and interface of Bhajis Loops I expect this isn't possible with this otherwise neat piece of software. Does anyone know of a piece of palm software that will enable me to do so?

Unfortunately as the Palm goes, BL's is about as neat as it gets. I think if Olivier could find a way of doing a palm multitracker, he would have done so already.

Remember the Palm was always intended as a pocket organiser and never as a music workstation. It's an absolute miracle that this software exists at all- and at such an extraordinarily cheap price too Surprised

Viva la Bhajis Loops! Very Happy
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 4:37 am    Post subject:  Bhajis Loops 1.7 update :D Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Although it's been out as a beta for a while, The Genius that is Olivier Gillet has recently released a glorious update for Bhajis Loops (including an absolutely mind bending new sample editor which includes being able to process samples in realtime through the excellent AudX plug-ins)

To quote exactly from the chocopoolp website; here is a list of the new features...

General

* The space bar on Tréo smartphones can now be used in place of the central button to start / stop the playback.
* The "Beam me!" function beams not only Bhajis Loops, but also all the installed plug-ins.
* A "revert to saved" command has been added in the song view.
* In all the toolboxes, a small arrow has been added to the bottom right corner of the tools for which a popup option menu is available.
* 4 short taps (at 120 BPM or higher Wink on any knob will display two arrows, allowing changes by small increments. You can revert to the normal behaviour by tapping outside the arrows.

Sample Editor

* A new options has been added in the preferences to define a default action when opening stereo samples.
* The volume of the previewed samples is now adjusted, to match the volume of the song playing in the background.
* A bug in the sample loading dialog, resulting in the listing of the content of the root rather than the current directory has been fixed.
* A new menu command has been added to add several samples in a row.
* The AudX plug-in effects can now be applied to samples. Optimal performances and accurate results can only be achieved with samples recorded at 11, 22 or 44kHz. Other samples will be processed as if they were recorded at the nearest multiple of 11kHz.
* A new command has been added to silence the selection. This is useful if you want to add empty space at the end of a sample before applying an effect. For example, if you want to add one second of silence at the end of the sample, select one second of sample data, copy it, paste it at the end of the sample, and silence it.
* Only the selected part of the waveform is played when the "Play" button is pressed.

Plug-ins

* Envelope and duration controls have been added to the Buffer lock plug-in.
* A new plug-in, "Gateau", has been added. This plug-in is a gater/gapper/filler which can also transpose and reverse periodically the source signal. It can be used to create classic gating effects, delays, reversed delays, or even arpeggios.
* A new plug-in, "CuteDog", has been added. This plug-in simulates rotary speakers, and is dedicated to electric organ sounds.
* A new Vocoder plug-in has been added. It is available in two versions - 5 bands (Vocoder) and 9 bands (VocoderX). The 9-bands version is more CPU intensive but produces a more intelligible output when used with vocal sounds.

Pattern editor

* A new command has been added to mix together several patterns into one same destination pattern.
* A new chord editor has been added to quickly input chords in standard notation (Cmin7, Ab, Gsus4...).
* A new command called "Ternarize" adjusts the position and durations of selected notes by a factor of 4/3, effectively transforming 3 semiquavers into a triplet.

Instrument editor

* You can now use the left and right keys of the 5 way navigator to change the value of the most recently used knob.
* A display bug occuring when a sample is loaded directly from the instrument editor has been fixed.
* An option has been added to invert the polarity of the filter modulation.
* Instruments can be previewed in the "Load instrument" dialog, when you select them. For this, you need to enable the "Preview" option in the preferences.

XY pad

* 5 scenes (collections of settings) are available for the XY pad. These scenes are saved with the song. You can change the current scene by using the up/down buttons or the numeric keys from "1" to "5" on a Tréo.
* A new menu option in the XY pad allows the smoothing of stylus moves, and the creation of transitions between parameter values.

Mixer

* A large part of the Mixer UI code has been rewritten, resulting in smaller code.
* A new option has been introduced in the preferences, "4 by 4 track change in mixer". When this option is enabled, the assignement of instruments to mixer tracks will be done by groups of 4. For example, if you select instrument 5 for track 1, instruments 6, 7 and 8 will be automatically assigned to tracks 2, 3 and 4.
* A new command displays the list of instruments sent to or processed by the selected effect.
* Newly created automation tracks are set to the current value of the parameter they control, rather than a default middle value.

Live mode

* A bug occuring when the same parameter is assigned to two controllers has been fixed.

Song editor

* A few minor bugs in the "Add section" dialog have been fixed.
* A bug occuring when exporting long songs to MIDI has been fixed.
* A new "Strategies" menu command is available to assist you in your creative process, by displaying random inspiring ideas.
* A new tool has been added to quickly create repetitions of the selected pattern. It fills empty spaces in a track with repetitions of the selected pattern. For example, to fill the bars 1 to 11 with a repetition of the selected pattern, create a pattern in bar 11, and use the fill tool in bar 1 to fill the gap from bar 1 to 11.
* A variation of the new tool presented above fills empty space with sequences of patterns (A01 A02 A03...).

SynchroPoolp

* An application managing both synchronization and playback of Bhajis Loops songs (SynchroPoolpX) for Mac OS X is now packaged with Bhajis Loops.

Please DO GIVE GENEROUSLY! ....and help Olivier gain the respect (and money!!) he deserves Wink

http://www.chocopoolp.com/forums.html

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
FLechdrop

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yup, I do believe I have this one. That is, I just bought a T3 and downloaded the trial. I bought the thing too, but I'm waiting for the (international) transaction to finish. Therefore I don't have the registration code yet. Can't wait to get it...

So now I wonder if I should get Microbe too. It may be somewhat more intuitive in programming simple sequences and drumtracks, and you can export them to Bhajis...
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well Fletch, what do yer make of the mighty Bhajis??
IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
FLechdrop

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It's incredible indeed, and very inspiring to have such posibilities in your pocket so that you can grab them at any time. I've only made a couple of snippets thus far though. I tried to export one of them, but somehow ended up with an empty .wav.

EDIT: I think I'm going to use this thing live as a sampler, too. Smile
Drew83

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i have been using Bhajis now for 2 weeks. i bought a Palm specifically to utilise this amazing app, and it has not dissapointed - in fact i am constantly suprised at how complex this program is, and how its simplistic interface allows such sophisticated manipulation of audio.

i would recommend this program to anyone interested in making music. there is very little (relative) sacrifice for the portability offered
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey Drew!

welcome to electro-music.com Very Happy

Yes I love Bhajis too- although like everything else music related, I've had little time to play with it as of recent Sad

Roll on Summer! Very Happy Cool

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

PS, I'll ask Mosc to allow the server to enable BL files to be uploaded here (as the Sychropoolp player is free and works on both PC and Mac)- It would be a nice addition to Olivier's Chocopoolp homepage Cool
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:
PS, I'll ask Mosc to allow the server to enable BL files to be uploaded here

Done...

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hey Howie! Cool

thanks

Drew83

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

are you guys still spending much time on the Bhaj?

i practically haven't put my Palm TX down since i got it early last year. i've moved from Reason and Ableton Live on my computer to writing practically all my music inside Bhajis. i find any limits this puts on me to be actually refreshing and seem to encourage alternative methods i wouldn't have thought of otherwise

there's very little activity at Bhajis Garden, despite the recent release of new plug-ins. i think it's a shame that such an amazing app lacks a vibrant community of devoted folk, swapping techniques and 'talking the lingo'

hopefully those of you with Palms will go back and give Bhajis another tweak!

peace to you all

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey Drew! Sorry for such a late reply! Smile

Bhajis? Yes it's pretty much a 'complete' product. It was just a shame that Palm killed Garnet. I don't know about Palm's new OS, but apparently it won't run anything but webapps (although there may be hope?).

I think the iPhone has pretty much killed the BL community for now- although there is still nothing on iPhone that comes near BL's. Not even Beatmaker. Noise IO is horrible- sounds okay I suppose, however, shite interface. I really wanted to be blown away by the iPhone- but I'm mildly dissapointed with the platform, or probably more to the point, iPhone developers. Do we need yet another 303 clone?? Give me iCellsynth or iMetasynth or even iMax/Msp anyday Wink !!!

I got the impression that Olivier was going to port BL's to iPhone, but then he got his PhD and then BL's was history. So I'm afraid, Olivier is also partly to blame for BL's demise. If the followers see that no one is improving or updating it, then they will walk- it's the nature of the game it seems.

The other thing- although it's working again, I had to replace the battery in my Zire 72s- and I've almost fu**ed the casing while doing it. There are so many netbooks around too these days- the world of powerful computing is pretty much pocket-sized now, and there is much to choose from on these little things- you can even load OS X (ala 'Hackintosh'!).

Personally I'm having fun with my £80 Korg Electribe EM-1. This week sometime, my recently purchased Boss SP-505 will be coming around the mountains- and I can't wait.

But then again....

Tom
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm really sorry to hear this isn't in the works for the iPhone. Crying or Very sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
dorfmeister

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Anybody still using Bhajis Loops. I am thinking of picking up a used T3 to run it on.
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

welcome Dorfmeister. Great to have you here. I don't use it myself. I'm doing the iPad thing these days.
Page 2 of 2 [44 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Discussion » Composition » lofi
Jump to: