electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Cacophonator Strip Board
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 5 of 7 [159 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 Next
dylar

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So no one has come up with a working schematic for the input jack yet? PLEASE someone help...
elmegil

Audio files: 16

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I built the basic cacophonator circuit over the last hour (sounds really cool), and I will work on the audio input some time tomorrow or Sunday.

One thing I noticed that may be important--I haven't read this thread in detail, but I was thinking I needed to use a 4069 for the audio input, as that seemed to be the main thing people were talking about where I was skimming. However, the circuit diagram from page 4 uses a 4049, which has a very different pinout... I would guess if you used a 4069 but connected the pins as shown in the schematic, things would not go well for the audio input. I will try both (with appropriate pin changes) and see if one does better than the other.

One other difference in mine is that I'm using a 15V bench supply rather than a 9V battery for power, but for the basic circuit that doesn't seem to make a lot of difference.
elmegil

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Built the audio in, heard no effect. Shifted my jack to before C13, and BARELY heard my audio--my input is a smartphone because I'm monitoring through my computer.

I believe I need some amplification of my source signal before this might work, not sure if that's relevant to anyone who was working on this before or not. I'm going to set up a little LM386 pre amp stage and see if that works any better.
dylar

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for the effort! Excited to hear about your results.

elmegil wrote:
Built the audio in, heard no effect. Shifted my jack to before C13, and BARELY heard my audio--my input is a smartphone because I'm monitoring through my computer.

I believe I need some amplification of my source signal before this might work, not sure if that's relevant to anyone who was working on this before or not. I'm going to set up a little LM386 pre amp stage and see if that works any better.
elmegil

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Amplification does get the signal through, but it doesn't sound to me like the video, it just basically mixes the audio through. No variable distortion, it's either there and competing with the oscillators, or it's not. The frequency of the oscillators/starvation of the circuit are the only things that affect how much distortion there is on the signal, not gain on the LM386, and not the pot on either the 4069 or Oscillator 4 (where it gets injected).

If anyone else wants to try it, I used the amp circuit from here:

http://www.fluxmonkey.com/electronoize/386amplifier.htm
dylar

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm getting suspicious about the whole project. As far as I can tell the only video of a Cacophonator that actually processes a signal is the Sascha Neudeck one. There are two other versions with inputs, neither of which actually distorts the signal (or if it does it's very subtle):
http://youtu.be/11ObmwNxL7U
http://youtu.be/zURxDI_QQHk
After watching Neudeck's video again I think I know what is going on. First, there are two extra knobs on his. I'm guessing he added a simple LP filter (and maybe something else) in between the audio input and the output. When he's turning the two knobs on the bottom left he's operating the added effects. The other knobs just seem to adjust the normal cacophonator squeal. When you have the noise made by the cacophonator along with and input signal that passes through a filter and maybe distortion circuit then you'd get sounds like you get in his video. It's possible that the cacophonator also passes through the filter--I can't tell. Maybe the second mystery knob adjusts the input level or else a distortion level. Here's his video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_s4U-8V2Gg&feature=share&list=PL416C4854F84E5312
It's actually pretty brilliant. It probably doesn't work too well with guitar.
synthesist

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

After some problems I finally build some versions with working input.
But I never kept the circuit on breadboard cause it didnt sound good enough.

The best result I ever had was to play the output of the atari punk console into Pin 14 without any amplification. It worked like one could use the cacophonator like an broken equalizer distortion resonator. really cool.

I am sure the input has to be only Pin 14 where the chip gets it voltage. Otherwise I think u would destroy the unit. If the chip doestnt get enough voltage but the inverters do ( because of the high amplificatioon) it is supposed to die!

U guyes should filter the amplified output before it goes to pin 14. Just try different capacitors against ground. This makes it sound better.

goog luck
xonrad
Familiar

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Everyone!

This is my first post over here. Just saw the link to the schematic by chance. Iḿ glad it has been usefull for someone Very Happy

See a couple of videos of cacophonatro 6DE (Circuit from famfest.info) working with audio inputs:

Quad-T from Befaco (808 conga clone)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-sNBo5fZ24

Stylophone:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSxiDPyuJ1I

Buddah machine v2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4s8xdxX-z1E
egasimus

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

^ awesome stuff! I'll build that. Care to share more info on the Quad-T conga?
Familiar

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

From Befaco's page you can download the eagle file:

www.befaco.org/es/modulos-autonomos/

It's in spanish, sorry. Link says "Descargar archivos CAD"

Any questions, doubts, etc are welcome on mail: befacosynth@gmail.com

Keep the noise!

By the way.... We made a new version of our circuit. Still based in cacophonator but with slight changes: Frequency modulation and Mute for each oscillator. And looks GORGEROUS Rolling Eyes

6deV2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  84.04 KB
 Viewed:  1165 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

6deV2.jpg

AlasdairMoons

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Familiar wrote:

By the way.... We made a new version of our circuit. Still based in cacophonator but with slight changes: Frequency modulation and Mute for each oscillator. And looks GORGEROUS Rolling Eyes

This looks so cool .... WANNA HAVE ... already contacted you by mail

my DIY-blog: http://ardvinnamodular.blogspot.be
my DIY Youtube-Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWAR64-81C3FbK_Hejz2QHw
my Music-Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzTd_AEK6CVM4gn325wvjYQ
my Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/AlasdairMoon
umschmitt

Audio files: 11

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi all!
I thought I'd share my take on the Cacophonator… It's a somewhat upgraded version with switches to allow chain sync between oscs, contact points (or whatever you call them), an LDR for kicks and also the possibility to somehow sync osc#1 to an external signal or… the sound of the radio.
Because, yes it's build in an (otherwise fully functional) alarm clock. Of course you can also use the internal speaker for a nomadic use… but wait! err it works on the mains! Oh well.
Bonuses: once you plug and start to play, the display will show you how long you've been messing with the thang. Alternatively you can program the 'sleep' function if you want to play, say 34 minutes and forget about time. It'll shut off from itself. How cool is that? How useless also?
It also looks miserable. Let's say it's a whole concept, eheh. Should I mention that it's exclusively made out of salvaged parts? (well the 40106 was new)
Anyway, here's a pic - ©crappy cellphone - and a couple sound clips…

schrottophonator.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  83.15 KB
 Viewed:  960 Time(s)

schrottophonator.jpg

schrottophonator3.ogg
 Description:
The usual cacophonic orchestra.

Download
 Filename:  schrottophonator3.ogg
 Filesize:  2.6 MB
 Downloaded:  1512 Time(s)

schrottophonator2.ogg
 Description:
Some kind of power drones here (with substantial amounts of Realistic© reverb fed back - which is neither realistic, nor even a reverb!).

Download
 Filename:  schrottophonator2.ogg
 Filesize:  4.95 MB
 Downloaded:  1482 Time(s)

schrottophonator1.ogg
 Description:
Surprisingly musical chaos. How's that just possible?

Download
 Filename:  schrottophonator1.ogg
 Filesize:  785.59 KB
 Downloaded:  1524 Time(s)

DUBmatze

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

geiles Ding !!
nice demo, nice "timer" function!
Smile
PHOBoS

Audio files: 705

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It looks great! and I love how you actually made use of the clock function . Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
umschmitt

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks! It will be proposed locally next week among other items in a solidarity auction.
You've been warned.

umschmitt

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Update: the schrottophonator sold for a good 65 euros. No idea if it's a lot or not, anyway the money was welcome for the cause. And lots of people had fun playing it the whole evening.
Speedy RB

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I finally built this puppy based on your cool antique layout, -minus-, thanks again!

One question: RV7 doesn't seem to do much of anything. Every once in a while, depending upon the positions of RV5 and RV6, maybe I notice something happening, but for the most part, nada. I've even switched out the pot to make sure it wasn't faulty.

Is this expected, or did something go wrong with my build? Everything else behaves as expected.

Once I get it mounted maybe I'll post some pics...
-minus-

Audio files: 13

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

As far as I recall, all the pots do something. I'd need to dig it out and do some tests though.

If all other pots do something, you are close to having it working. Check the stripboard cuts on the back of the board. Make sure the components around pin 12 and pin 13 are in the right place and soldered correctly. Also, there was an issue of me posting an incorrect image of the reverse side of the board originally. Make sure there is a cut in the stripboard rail above the IC. The present image on page one is correct.

It sounds like the oscillator on pin 12 and 13 isn't working. Check for solder bridges, cold solder joints, incorrect placement of components, incorrect component values perhaps.
Speedy RB

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

After a little poking around with a straightened paper clip, I did indeed find a cold solder joint on the pot. It looked totally fine, I've never had one of those before.

Thanks!

Also, I am going to add the input described for the "6DE" by familiar. Looks good!

Also also, -minus-, I saw this while researching the cacophonator+input:

http://befaco.org/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=38&hilit=cacophonator+6de
elmegil

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Speedy RB wrote:
After a little poking around with a straightened paper clip, I did indeed find a cold solder joint on the pot. It looked totally fine, I've never had one of those before.

Can you describe your method of testing further? I'm not sure how that would work. Just looking for things that wiggle but shouldn't?
Speedy RB

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elmegil wrote:
Speedy RB wrote:

Can you describe your method of testing further? I'm not sure how that would work. Just looking for things that wiggle but shouldn't?

I used the paper clip to connect the two points on the board where the pot connects - in other words, as if the pot were dialed to 0 resistance - and immediately heard the sound change drastically. Then, by laying the paper clip across the joint between the wire and pin 1 of the pot, I heard the same change in sound, so I re-did that solder joint, and viola - the pot now works.
umschmitt

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:25 am    Post subject: ups I did it again Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

One more cacophonator variation in a radio, this time providing heavy interaction with the radio signal…

radiophonator.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  68.37 KB
 Viewed:  882 Time(s)

radiophonator.jpg

Nyxaudio

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

howdy
i have a couple questions regarding this build
i have not done this before so bear with me please

there are 4 wire connections made on the diagram? is this correct? or do c8 and c3 have them too?

also can i just connect the power supply to the holes on the top and second from top on the top left corner

Hope some one can please help me
thankyou in advance
-minus-

Audio files: 13

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'd like to help you but I am unsure which diagram you are referring to. There seems to be a few layouts on this thread now.
Nyxaudio

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

http://electro-music.com/forum/phpbb-files/cacophonator_1_pg2_2nd_edition_680.jpg
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 5 of 7 [159 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: