electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Discussion » Composition
Your thoughts on a crazy approach to mixing...
Page 1 of 1 [14 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
KarmanHardon

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:09 am    Post subject: Your thoughts on a crazy approach to mixing... Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey everyone.

Me and a friend I occasionally mix songs for were drunk and thought of something kind of completely nuts and impractical but interesting nonetheless...

Imagine mixing the tracks of a song by feeding each track to its own speaker in the room. Yeah. 24 tracks? 24 speakers. And the "master bus" is a stereo mic...one of these binaural type things.

Panning instruments and toying around their "presence" in the mix would imply moving the speaker that is assigned to that instrument left and right, back and forth... up and down...on a tilt?

The reason why we find this interesting to attempt even with whatever non-reference, hi-fi speakers I have at my disposal, is to see how a certain cohesion provided by the natural reverb of the room, minimal as it is, could be captured this way.

Feel free to laugh this off as plain stupid. heh! But I'm curious to hear your thoughts if any.
JovianPyx

Audio files: 224

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Not so crazy when you consider how a live concert is mic'd. Each instrument has at least one mic and they may also mic the room or concert hall in several places. So while you're not using a board to do the mixing and instead are using a natural acoustic mix, you're getting each instrument in a stereo field and the room acoustics. So I think it's a clever idea if you can afford 24 speakers or have them already. You can also do things like open drapes or closed drapes, moving furniture around, moving speakers around, and controlling the level of each instrument from it's own volume control. And of course, mic placement allows more tuning of the mix. For my money, it's definitely something worth trying. It could be advantageous to have a separate room where a person can monitor the mix with headphones.

Time flies like a banana.
Fruit flies when you're having fun.
BTW, Do these genes make my ass look fat?
corruptio optimi pessima

Last edited by JovianPyx on Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
1roomstudio

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Not crazy at all... in fact shows a clear understanding of what “mixing” means. Another approach... moving the microphones would imitate the effect of a listener moving amongst the musicians.

A performance art piece from the 60’s (maybe 70’s?) involved a mic swinging from the ceiling within a ring of speakers causing various feedback effects.

You and your friend should pursue your idea... you will have fun... you will learn a lot and you will be lauded and appreciated by a vanishingly thin slice of humanity.

Thank you for sharing...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdOj3y4Q55K2nUX688PDt5Q

Reality is one thing... Perception is everything
AlanP

Audio files: 41

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Isn't that how songs were originally recorded, back in the Dark Ages of Technology?

The band, around the one mike (because those things were expensive!) and, when it was time for the solo, the solo-ist stepped forward, closer to the mike for more volume.
Acoustic Interloper

Audio files: 89

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I do that in our planetarium, and not only rotating instrument-to-speaker location, but also permuting them as part of the composition, using location-in-the-room just like key, meter, timbre, and other compositional degrees of freedom. Wrote an open access paper A Circular Planetarium as a Spatial Visual Musical Instrument last summer, gave an invited talk at the IMERSA Summit 2019 on immersive media in planetariums & related environments last month. It's a good approach. Very Happy
Grumble

Audio files: 30

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

About recording with microphones:
I once took styropor sheets about 2cm thick, and made a head out of it, complete with ears and in the ears I placed electret microphones and here you have a great recording microphone.
I could hear where someone was in the room, not even in direction but also in elevation.

Acoustic Interloper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Grumble wrote:
About recording with microphones:
I once took styropor sheets about 2cm thick, and made a head out of it, complete with ears and in the ears I placed electret microphones and here you have a great recording microphone.
I could hear where someone was in the room, not even in direction but also in elevation.

Were the mics omnidirectional or unidirectional? I'd like to try that!

Grumble

Audio files: 30

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

They were just the standard electret microphones like this:
Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.
I did this about 40 years ago, nowadays more ppl seen to have found this a nice way to record live music, it looked something like this:
Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

Search for diy binaural microphone and a whole new world opens up on you Laughing

Acoustic Interloper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks! Very Happy
KarmanHardon

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey thanks for your thoughts, everyone!
RingMad

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

1roomstudio wrote:
A performance art piece from the 60’s (maybe 70’s?) involved a mic swinging from the ceiling within a ring of speakers causing various feedback effects

I believe you are referring to Steve Reich's Pendulum Music (For Microphones, Amplifiers Speakers and Performers), composed in 1968. It usually involved at least 3 mics.

I built myself some binaural mics years ago, and still use them.

For years here in Montreal, there used to be an event called "Rien à voir" ("nothing to see"), which involved a venue with 12 speakers spaced evenly around the audience, and the composer would perform a live mix of their electro-acoustic piece.

Francisco Lopez insisted on a quadraphonic sound system, wherein he would be in the center of the room and perform a mix in the dark (often the audience would be given blindfolds). Kaffe Matthews also preferred to perform that way, but without the darkness part.

It makes sense for this type of music to move away from the traditional performer on the stage at one end of the room, flanked by P.A. speakers. But it's not always practical, and can be more involved to set up.

.:james:.
KarmanHardon

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

RingMad wrote:

For years here in Montreal

Oh!

Hey, neighbor!

Have you recorded the eerie silence of the city yet?

Man, I should like it but I find it unsettling. It's the voices of people that are missing. Too silent.
airlock

Audio files: 53

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Your thoughts on a crazy approach to mixing... Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

KarmanHardon wrote:
Hey everyone.

Me and a friend I occasionally mix songs for were drunk and thought of something kind of completely nuts and impractical but interesting nonetheless...

Well, I'd say it is nuts- but I'm setting up to do something similar and I don't have the excuse of being drunk when I thought of it, so no, not nuts, I think you guys do brilliant work when you're drunk. The tracks getting out into air and doing all the things sound waves do to each other is going to provide a unique effect that you might be hard-pressed to duplicate.

I just need another couple class d amps and I'm ready to go. The limitation would be of the 12 outputs I have available from the interface 2 are needed to monitor, so I figure on putting out 5 stereo groups or 10 mono or some combination of the same.

Getting all the speakers together was not a problem:
Thank God for wives who are no longer willing to tolerate their husbands large floor standing speakers in their living rooms.

Good luck!
1roomstudio

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

RingMad wrote:
1roomstudio wrote:
A performance art piece from the 60’s (maybe 70’s?) involved a mic swinging from the ceiling within a ring of speakers causing various feedback effects

I believe you are referring to Steve Reich's Pendulum Music (For Microphones, Amplifiers Speakers and Performers), composed in 1968. It usually involved at least 3 mics.

It makes sense for this type of music to move away from the traditional performer on the stage at one end of the room, flanked by P.A. speakers. But it's not always practical, and can be more involved to set up.

.:james:.

I’m sure you are correct that it was Steve Reich... and yes music from speakers should not be limited to a pair in front of the audience. Interesting that everyone excepts surround sound as obvious in a theater; but somehow novel at a concert. 😎

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdOj3y4Q55K2nUX688PDt5Q

Reality is one thing... Perception is everything
Page 1 of 1 [14 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Discussion » Composition
Jump to: