electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » How-tos
Getting Started - Gear
Page 1 of 1 [25 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Danger_Mouse

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 12:11 am    Post subject: Getting Started - Gear Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey guys...this is my first post here so...hooray for me..

I am looking to see if you guys could reccomend any gear for me to look at

Basically..I have a fairly cheap yamaha synth/organ and I want to run some things off it and either di, or run it out fo an amp. I am looking for gear that will be able to make some very abbrasive..shrill and savage sounds..preferably ones that will hurt the ears of listeners..your suggestions would be accepted with open arms..

Thanks.
seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Danger_Mouse
welcome to electro-music.com Exclamation
check the Links page and/or the Gear News forum.
plenty of gear Very Happy

Quote:
Don't die with your music still in you - Wayne Dyer

Last edited by seraph on Sat Aug 04, 2007 4:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Danger_Mouse

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

you'll have to forgive me..I play guitar and have not ever delved into the electronic world as such..besides the theremin...

So looking through all that gear doesn;t mean much to me..if you can direct me and give me some key words that wuold be ahndy
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You want to make peoples ears bleed?? Easy! All you need are 2 fuzz boxes, 2 to 4 mono Y-connectors and some patch leads.

Connect the first Y connector to the input of the first fuzz pedal then connect another to the out. Repeat the same with the second pedal.

Now, route the patch cords so they feedback on each of the pedals- take the output and put it through your amp (WATCH YOUR EARS!!!!!- I HOLD NO RESPONSIBILITY TO THE DAMAGE YOU ARE ABOUT TO DO TO YOUR EARDRUMS!!!!)

This following mp3 was made using a similar technique as explained above- it was also processed through a reverb- because it was part of a live 'in the dark' performance- and me and my friend Richard were trying to create the impression of a big space!

Zoom 1201 abuse.mp3
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Zoom 1201 abuse.mp3
 Filesize:  2.36 MB
 Downloaded:  2076 Time(s)

Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 4:53 am    Post subject: Welcome! Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

http://www.harshnoise.com/ has gear reviews aimed speciffically at making noise. Enjoy.
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: equipment for making noise Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Kassen wrote:
http://www.harshnoise.com/ has gear reviews aimed speciffically at making noise. Enjoy.

Quote:

Equipment Information by Manufacturer
4ms Pedals, A/DA, Access, Ace Tone, Acoustic, Addrock, AED, Aguilar, Akai, Alesis, Alien-Devices, Amdek, Ampeg, AMT, Analog Man, Aphex, Apollo, Aramat Effects, Aria, Arion, Aspect Design Labs, Atomic FX, Audible Disease, Auralux, Austone, Axis Research, Bad Cat, Banzai, Barber Electronics, BBE, Behringer, Bell Phonic, Bespeco, Bias, Bixonic, BJF Effects, Black Cat, Blackbox, Blackstone Appliances, Blues Pearl, Boot-Leg, Boss, Boxx, Britec, Brownsville, Budda, Carl Martin, Carvin, Casio, Catalinbread, CB Labs, Chunk Systems, Colorsound, Coron, Cranetortoise, Crews, Crowther Audio, Custom Analog Electronics, Danelectro, Daphon, DeArmond, Death by Audio, Demeter, Denio, Diaz, DigiPlay, Digitech, DiMarzio, Dinosaur, DLS Effects, DNA Analogic, DOD, Dredge-Tone, Dunlop, EBS, EDP, EfexTek, Effector 13, Electra, Electra Envelope, Electrix, Electro Harmonix, ElectroKraft, EMMA Electronic, EXR, FAT, Fender, Fernandes, Firstman, FMR Audio, Fodera, Foxrox, Foxx, Framptone, Frantone, Fret-Ware, Frostwave, Fryer, Fulltone, Future, FX Doctor, G.S.E. Effects, G2D, George Dennis, Godlyke, Gretsch, Guild, Guyatone, HAO, HMC, Hohner, Holmes, Honda Sound Works, Horst, Hot Chili Company, HSW, Hughes & Kettner, Human Gear, Ibanez, Infinity, J. Everman, J. Philpott, J.T. Pedals, Jacques, Jake Rebol, JEN, Jim Morgan, JMX, Johnson, K.M. Rix, Kay, Keeley, Ken Multi, Kendrick, Kent, Klon, KMD, Korg, Kuciel, L.A.L. Noise Effects, Landgraff, Lexicon, Line 6, Lo-Fo', Lonax, Lovetone, Maestro, Marshall, Matchless, Mavis, Maxon, Maxtone, Maxx, Menatone, Metasonix, MI Audio, Mid-Fi Electronics, Mill Hill Creations, MJM, MMFX, Moog Music, Morley, Mosrite, mt'Lab, Mu-Tron, Multivox, MXR, Nadine's, Next, Ngapo, NGM Pedalboard Systems, Nick Greer, Nina Electronics, Nine Volt Nirvana, Nobels Electronics, Noise Custom Guitar Systems, Omnifex, Omnitek, Onerr, Option 5, Orpheum, PAX, Pearl, Peavey, Pefftronics, Pete Cornish, Pharaoh, PMG, PMP, Prescription, ProCo, Professor Television, ProphecySound, Providence, PSK, Radio Shack, rainbowrandom, Real McCoy Custom, Red Sound, Retrospec, Reverend, RFX, Roadrunner, Rocket, Rockman, Rockson, RockTek, Rocktron, Rodeo Drive, Roger Linn, Roger Mayer, Rogue, Roland, Ross, Sabine, Sadowsky, Satori-Tech, Schaller, Schecter, Scott's, Sebatron, Selva, Sescom, Sherman, Shin-Ei, SIB, Signal Flex, Sirkut Electronics, SkyTronic, Snarling Dogs, Sobbat, Soldano, Songworks, Soundshimmer, SRS Electronics, Stampede, Stamps, Steven, Stompin' Ground, Studio Electronics, Systech, T-rex, T. Miranda, T.C. Electronic, Takky, Tech 21, Technosaurus, Theremaniacs, ToadWorks, Tokai, Top Hat, Trace Elliot, Troubled Variance Electronics, Tube Works, Tym, UMI, Union, Univox, Vanilla Electronics, Vesta Fire, Vintage Technology, Visual Sound, Voodoo Lab, Vox, Walco, Washburn, Way Huge, WD Music Products, Wyllie, xdugef, Xotic, Yamaha, Zoom, Zvex Effects

Nice one Kassen!! hahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!

You don't need this- you just need three 'Y'-connectors!!. Trust me- I've been experimenting with harsh noise for the last 15 years or so :)- download my mp3!! :D
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: equipment for making noise Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:
You don't need this- you just need three 'Y'-connectors!!. Trust me- I've been experimenting with harsh noise for the last 15 years or so Smile- download my mp3!! Very Happy

I listened to the zoom_1201_abuse.mp3

This is really something!

Respect! salut

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: equipment for making noise Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:

Respect! :salut:

:-)

I can dig out some more if you like?
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: equipment for making noise Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:

I can dig out some more if you like?

Yes ! (please)

elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Very Happy
Please. more..

In a new thread in the How.To section.. where you explain the signal routing yet again... and add some pix and some videos?? Very Happy

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:
and add some pix and some videos?? :D

Definitely !

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Okay. But it won't be right now I'm afraid- it's half eight in the evening. I never posted this stuff before because I thought it may not go down too well- but there you go :)

I have put some stuff on the hard drive- but I'm having difficulties locating it. I know its in there somewhere :)

As I said, to do it is really easy- it's not rocket science, and it's much more fun doing this kind of stuff than programming because it's so more 'hands on'!

Incidentally my friend Richard is in Japan right now teaching English as a foreign language. He also went there to find his heroes Masonna and Merzbow- I think he has found them too :)

We jammed on weekends for about 3-5 years (in the mid to late 90's, early 00's. It was sporadic, but we recorded most of the stuff onto Minidisc. There are hours and hours of this crazy stuff. I just don't have the time to edit it all right now- but I will sooner or later.

Tom :-)
Mohoyoho

Audio files: 8

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

insane sounds. I too would like to see the routing in diagram or pix.
www.cdbaby.com/cd/markmahoney
www.cdbaby.com/cd/mmahoneympeck
http://cdbaby.com/cd/mmahoneympeck2
http://www.limitedwave.com/subterraneous/
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 4:19 pm    Post subject: Get an Ensoniq DP/2 and drink lots of Kestrel Super! Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Mohoyoho wrote:
insane sounds. I too would like to see the routing in diagram or pix.

Hi Mark :)

I don't think I can remember the 'routing diagram'. It doesn't really work like that- there was no real pre-determined plan- this mp3 was recorded about 3-4 years ago or so as well.

I should also point out here that this recording sounds so 'huge' because it was post-processed though an Ensoniq DP/2 which makes even the tamest signal sound enormous. The DP/2 sounds bloody fantastic with the Nord Modular too.

As I keep saying, it's not rocket science. All you need are a few 'Y'-connectors, some patch leads and a few pedals that you don't mind abusing the fuck out of. And when I say 'the f**k out of'- you better f**king believe me! :)))

The Zoom 1201 is a favourite because they are so cheap (you can buy them for less than £10 on ebay now). Shitty budget mixing desks (for eg Yamaha and Behringer and old potastudio's such as the old Tascam cassette based ones) are good too as you can route the sends back into the desks-using the bass and treble eq's too which get those sounds that make the floor vibrate and your start your ears bleeding) to get maximum feedback/ frequencies which will rip the top of your head off.

BTW, it's also worth drinking a LOT of high-strength lager while doing this stuff- like Kestrel-Super 9% proof. No shit. This stuff tastes like sugared vomit but is good as this helps to lower the pain threshold - as you need to monitor at very high levels. Also being very drunk when making this kind of noise is also a lot of fun too and helps to get the creative juices flowing ;))
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 1:20 am    Post subject: another earsplitting mp3 :) Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I just found another track :) This one consists of part pre-recorded material played with improvised electronics. If my memory serves me right, it was part of a warm up for a gig that me and Richard did at "The Jug of Ale" pub in Moseley, Birmingham- part of a festival organised by Bearos records;

"The party continued without him (Mr John Peel) the following day with Tom from Telefunken teaming up with long term collaborator Dick AKA Magic City for a set of experimental/improvised noise. Not as unpleasant as it might sound - it fact it was one of the best gigs of the year, especially when they were joined by Jameson drummer, Nigel, for the encore. The line up was completed by the live debut of Papa November and a rare live appearance by The J Foundation." Date- 08-06-2000.

more blurb can be read here;

http://www.bearos.freeserve.co.uk/

meanddik.mp3
 Description:
Play LOUD!!!

Download
 Filename:  meanddik.mp3
 Filesize:  4.73 MB
 Downloaded:  1909 Time(s)

Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: equipment for making noise Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:

You don't need this- you just need three 'Y'-connectors!!. Trust me- I've been experimenting with harsh noise for the last 15 years or so Smile- download my mp3!! Very Happy

He he he, I listened.

Instead of Y connectors I did a fairl amount of noise thorough a old dj mixer so I had faders to controll the amount of feedback. Maybe I should do some more Y connectors with pots; basically three female jacks with the grounds interconected and the three signal wirers connected tot he three pins of a pot. Very cheap and usefull and it gives a bit more space for morphs then straight splitters.

B.T.W. your mp3 sounded a lot like some of the textures that this guy called Bombardeer uses, except he also has beats. Look up Bombardeer, Kamphetamine and 13th hour, I think its all the same guy.

elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey.. I listened to this one too. Excellent.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: equipment for making noise Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Kassen wrote:

B.T.W. your mp3 sounded a lot like some of the textures that this guy called Bombardeer uses, except he also has beats. Look up Bombardeer, Kamphetamine and 13th hour, I think its all the same guy.

Kas,

http://www.discogs.com/artist/Bombardier

-you're right. 3 or more aliases.

I do really like breakcore (or whatever it's called these days :)). I'm particulily fond of DJ Scud and Alec Empire- but I suppose they're a bit retro these days :roll:

I hear people are still doing stuff with the old Amiga 1200's? What's the software they are using? Is it still Octamed?
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:
Hey.. I listened to this one too. Excellent.

heh- nice one Stein :)

I don't know if I'll post any more for now- but there are some real gems here :D Perhaps I'll market them as 'headcleaner' of 'earwax remover' ?!? hehe
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: Getting Started - Gear Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Danger_Mouse wrote:
Hey guys...this is my first post here so...hooray for me..

Sorry DM for hijacking your thread btw! I hope you got the info you need- and there's now several people worldwide buying 'Y'-connectors and hacking their old guitar/ rack fx :D
Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: equipment for making noise Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:

I do really like breakcore (or whatever it's called these days Smile). I'm particulily fond of DJ Scud and Alec Empire- but I suppose they're a bit retro these days Rolling Eyes

Yeah, the early Empire stuff keeps it value. I recently started listening to the very early DHR stuff again; the "delete yourself" album, the first comilation and so on. pritty cool stuff. Actually a few days ago I found "there's no love in tekno" by Hanin on force-ink, produced by one mr Empire, from 93; not realy break-ish but quite good acid.

THe first time I heard a Scud record I droped my jaw; I had accidentally encountered "bodysnatcher" on Ambush, it's still one of my favourites.

Quote:

I hear people are still doing stuff with the old Amiga 1200's? What's the software they are using? Is it still Octamed?

Yeah, all the Amiga people I know are running that, not for breakcore though, but still. I think Eye-D from the Netherlands (Look up "Slipgevaar" on Ghetto Safari!) still runs Dos3.3 with a FZ-1 sampler; that's pritty cool too....

Danger_Mouse

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Neermind about the post 'hijacking'. I am usually in the position of doing it to other people, with much more disrespect. I am downloading the track currently but I also really wasting time I should be doing on homework. So I blame you for my future failures in life.

I'll get back to you on what I think of the track.

Also I am going to Geelong (Australia) very soon as I have a contact in the music store there who is willing to do me cost price on gear, that is why I was looking for some advice. I am hoping to get a big muff pedal, possibly two and an eq pedal with a range as far as the ear can hear (so I am told)

I played around a bit yesterday with the keys and a zoom707 mutli effects, that was fun but I want some anologues to play with and 'tweak' the sound rather than a digital reading to play with. An all anologue party, I can only dream

Thanks for the advice, I'll certainly give it a try.
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Danger_Mouse wrote:
I am downloading the track currently but I also really wasting time I should be doing on homework. So I blame you for my future failures in life.

COOL! I flunked out of school at the tender age of 15- hated every inch of it. Come on lets face it- school really SUCKS!

So that's my rant over with. I start a BSc degree in 10 days or so- I'm bricking it!!

I look forward to your reactions on those tracks :)

Tom
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: equipment for making noise Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:

Respect! salut

Well...all the way from Japan- I introduce Dr Dick Piss himself.....

me and Richard- the brains behind the attached track. (We haven'r t seen each other for two years!!)

Photo 66.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  57.65 KB
 Viewed:  21091 Time(s)

Photo 66.jpg

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

....and another Laughing

Photo 666.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  62.06 KB
 Viewed:  21085 Time(s)

Photo 666.jpg

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
Page 1 of 1 [25 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » How-tos
Jump to: