electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » G2 FAQ
how to sync to an external MIDI clock?
Page 1 of 1 [22 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Stanley Pain

Audio files: 10
G2 patch files: 35

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 7:52 am    Post subject: how to sync to an external MIDI clock?
Subject description: using SX3
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i need to know what to do within a patch to get a sequencer to sync with an external MIDI clock. i've tried everything, but i'm sure i'm not doing it in the most economical way.

basic patches would be appreciated... Smile
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Stanley, I don't normally do this but have you tired running the sequencer off of the clock oscillator that is using master clock mode and then setting the G2 to use external clock in the System settings?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Fozzie

Audio files: 8
G2 patch files: 49

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Mosc's solution should work (works with my G2 engine), however, software clocks can be very jittery. I've tried syncing to Live, but it's horrible. If you see the red masterclock BPM counter (it changes color if it tracks external midi clock) jumping up and down in value, you're in for trouble. Synced delays will start jumping on this Sad .

Good trick from 'way back in the classic days': set up the G2 master clock to the same setting as Cubase. Use a Cubase track to send an unused midi note (for example very high or low in pitch) to the G2, quantized to beat '1' of every measure (or every x measures). Use a note-detect module inside the G2 to produce a sync signal for sequencers or stuff like that.
Stanley Pain

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Fozzie wrote:
set up the G2 master clock to the same setting as Cubase. Use a Cubase track to send an unused midi note (for example very high or low in pitch) to the G2, quantized to beat '1' of every measure (or every x measures). Use a note-detect module inside the G2 to produce a sync signal for sequencers or stuff like that.

thanks mosc, even pointing out the obvious would be appreciated at this stage.

i generally tend to write a patch first and then try and sync it to an external clock if i think it's worth it.

with some patches it works fine, with others, not at all, and i can't seem to find the time to play spot the difference. i was hoping (still am) that i'm doing something really stupid.

the solution i have settled for is the above, but that's crap... surely? how hard can it be... Sad
Stanley Pain

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

when i say that solutions crap, i didn't mean YOUR solution was crap, i mean, i'd figured out that that was a way of creating synchronicity, it just felt wrong to have to do it like that.
Fozzie

Audio files: 8
G2 patch files: 49

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah, I know, it's crappy. But not as crappy as unstable software midi clocks that mess up a perfectly good G2. It can be different for different computer setups, as well as for different programs, but hw clocks are still hard to beat (pun sort of intended).
Stanley Pain

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Fozzie wrote:
Yeah, I know, it's crappy. But not as crappy as unstable software midi clocks that mess up a perfectly good G2. It can be different for different computer setups, as well as for different programs, but hw clocks are still hard to beat (pun sort of intended).

there was an interesting looking box in the latest sound on sound. it's now an interesting addition to my weighty wish list. doh.
slave to this

G2 patch files: 7

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

stanely

i sync ableton with my modular just by sending a midi clock to the midi in port of the g2. i'm not sure if you're trying to do anything but slave to tempo, in which case, i haven't had any sort of problems mixing the two. usually i just set my clock gens in the g2 to master...i also usually set any lfo's to clock as well. you know you're sync'd when the master clock in the editor turns a bright red. i haven't had any problems with losing sync...but then again, like i mentioned...all i'm doing is making sure i'm sync'd to tempo in ableton.

james
zinoff

G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 12:47 pm    Post subject: I guess it depends... Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I get different level of jitter with different interfaces and different programs...

AMT-8 is rock solid only under logic. With Sonar is so-so, with FLStudio it's pretty bad and with Cubase SX and Live is the worst. (there's a bug in the drivers as well that doubles the tempo after a few stops).

The midi output from the EMU1820m gives fairly solid results with most of the sequencers, even if I managed to generate the only clean clock with Midi-OX set to 1ms accuracy. What I do now is generate the clock on the emu card and having thru-ed it in the AMT, I get a slight delay but the jitter is low.

Any other recommendations on midi interfaces?
slave to this

G2 patch files: 7

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

you guys have live 5?
Engel

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

IMHO, the problem of "red masterclock BPM counter" is in bad MIDI interface. I had this problem too (some notes had incorrect lenght, some notes was not played). It was very horrible.
My G2 was connected to (haha) SB Live! game port. Cubase SX 3 is sending MIDI clock messages, but G2 have incorrect response.
But when I have connected my G2 to M-Audio Midisport the problem was solved.
So, if you want to haven't problems with MIDI you must have good MIDI interface.

Hope, this helps. Wink
Engel

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Engel wrote:
IMHO, the problem of "red masterclock BPM counter" is in bad MIDI interface. I had this problem too (some notes had incorrect lenght, some notes was not played). It was very horrible.
My G2 was connected to (haha) SB Live! game port. Cubase SX 3 is sending MIDI clock messages, but G2 have incorrect response.
So, if you want to haven't problems with MIDI you must have good MIDI interface.

Hope, this helps. Wink

Oh, the problem is back again. Sad
When I'm playing my G2 Engine using external MIDI keyboard there is no problems. But when I'm using sequencer (MIDI Clock is sending to G2 Engine) some notes not plays and I hear some twitching sounds.

What can I do to fix it?
I won't to cell my G2, 'cause this is the great synth, but I can't write any song with this problem.
Please, help me!

ian-s

Audio files: 42
G2 patch files: 626

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Can you use the G2 as clock master?
Engel

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

g2ian wrote:
Can you use the G2 as clock master?

G2 can't use BPM like 125.670, so it's not the solve of my problem Sad

BobTheDog

Audio files: 32
G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Engel wrote:

Hope, this helps. Wink

I'm not sure it is down to the midi interface, I have tried it with a Motu MicroLite, Yamaha 01x and Yamaha i88x and get the same problem with all of them.

I do not get these problems with my other synths syncing.

Cheers

Andy
deknow

G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

the problem with midi clock (well, one of the problems), is that it has to be interspersed with other events. the more midi data in the pipeline, the worse things get.

i always use some device to send clock as a master to everything else. a drum machine on an empty pattern works great. i often use an old 707 for clock, as there is a nice knob for chaning tempo in small increments. use a good powered thru box to distribute this clock to all the devices that need it.

deknow
Engel

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'll try to check with another sequencer (now I'm using Cubase SX 3) - E-magic Logic Audio Platinum 5.5.1
t4k4sh1

G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Engel wrote:
I'll try to check with another sequencer (now I'm using Cubase SX 3) - E-magic Logic Audio Platinum 5.5.1

Maybe it is a bit late, but,,

If you are using SX3, consider to get a MIDEX3 or MIDEX8 by Steinberg itself. It can deliver perfect MIDI clock to slaves.
When these I/Fs are used with Steinberg sequencer, all the MIDI messages from the sequencer will be time stamped and MIDEX will align them on output, it is the best MIDI I/F when used with SX/Nu. Same goes to UNITOR with Logic.

I also use RME's MIDI I/F comes with digiface/multiface. These can do run stable MIDI clock, too. Because all the RME I/Fs don't use USB, it uses much faster PCI buss and own IRQ/interrupt.

I got all these experienced by myself. I've been using many different MIDI clock slaves with various DAW for long, since the early Atari days. although i am a newbie here. Smile

Lastly, SX/Nu can't be slaved to incoming MIDI clock unlike ableton live. SX can only lock to timecode, it can take many different timecode format (logically and physically) though the sequencer has to be tempo master.

Good luck.

Takashi
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

welcome t4k4sh1

Great to have you here.

Good advice. You mentioned several products I myself was unfamiliar with so I did a little research. I think if one is writing music where tight sync between several hardware and software devices is required, an investment in high-quality a MIDI interface is essential.

A couple of years ago when I participated in the Different Skies event, we used a dedicated MIDI clock distribution unit and we had about 8 musicians jamming together in perfect sync with no problems. I can't remember the exact device, unfortunately.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
mcrgmttr

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi there. I know this is a veeeery old post, but I have a possible solution that could help to somebody.
I am not so lucky to have a Nord G2 modular, but I really like the software demo, is one of the best modular virtual synths for me. I have no problem with the limitations, I like mono modulars.
I'm a linux user and play it under wine, it works perfect. Only the demo offers more than a lot of another pay virtual synths.
Well, I had the same problem sequencing the G2 via midi, with irregular results, but instead when I played it with my midi keyboard all worked right.
My solution:
1- Buy a cheap usb-midi converter, exactly this:
http://img.diytrade.com/cdimg/480148/8300885/0/1237191558/usb_midi_cable_midi_interface_adapter.jpg
2- Send midi from the sequencer software (I work with seq24) to the midi keyboard, internally, without the cable.
3- Connect the usb-midi converter to the keyboard midi-out.
4- Select "usb midi cable..." on the midi G2 preferences.

And thats all, at least in my case then the midi works perfect on the G2.

Hope this help someone! Very Happy
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

welcome mcrgmttr, to electro-music.com. Good to have you here.

I'm sure your post will be helpful to someone.

mcrgmttr

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi mosc. Thanks for the welcome. Smile
Page 1 of 1 [22 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » G2 FAQ
Jump to: