electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » G2 Building Blocks
Experienced Patcher's help needed
Page 1 of 1 [17 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
bakuna

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 9:03 am    Post subject: Experienced Patcher's help needed Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i'm not sure if what i'm tying to achieve is possible but since g2 seems to have ulitimed patching abilities exerienced advise could make it happen.
i have Yamaha G10 midi controller (see picture attached). i'm using left hand mode only .its basically paying on neck only. combined left + right hand mode is not playable because it gives you too long delay with right hand picking(for right hand picking G10 uses similar to Pitch to midi conversion pick up , pith to midi conversion technology is currently not good enough .
what i want to be able to do is to use midi keyboard or Korg Midi control

http://www.korg.com/gear/info.asp?a_prod_no=KPC1

to be able to triger notes on G10 (you can think of it as instead of picking
notes on the guitar with your right hand tapping pads(s) to triger notes.
its easily possible on Korg Midi control but not quite the way i think it could be achievable . i want to be able to pick the note on the neck of g10 ,lets say C3 NOTE and by tapping on the Korg pad triger the same note . next note C sharp 3 picked on the neck of G10 would sent C sharp 3 on the same Korg pad as before. so its literally korg would be receiving commends from g10 . g10 will be telling one of the korg pads which note send back to g2 . can above be achieved ?

yamahag10-02.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  76.22 KB
 Viewed:  15239 Time(s)

yamahag10-02.jpg

ian-s

Audio files: 42
G2 patch files: 626

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 12:05 am    Post subject: Re: Experienced Patcher's help needed Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

bakuna wrote:
can above be achieved ?

The G2 was designed by keyboard musicians and falls short when it comes to use with guitar style controllers.
I can think of how to do what you want, but it would be limited to 4 strings/pads and use every slot of the G2.
It is a pity that the transition from G1 to G2 didn't include another two (or four) slots. Crying or Very sad
bakuna

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

to be able to play control 4 strings is already big leap forward . while i was waiting for somebody to respond i patched something up with my limiting patching abilities but not quite what i described . it would be awesome if you could share how it would be done !

Art
Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think it would be a lot easier to figure out exactly what you need if you would use complete sentences and didn't asume everybody knew all the details about this controler's midi implementation. Right now your post is very hard to read yet gives very little information.

For example; do all those strings have their own MIDI channel? Does this Korg have a MIDI-merge function? Doyou want just one pad to "strum" all strings at the same time or are we looking for a more flamengo style of playing?

ian-s

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

What I was thinking was to have 4 identical monophonic patches loaded into ABC and D slots. Assuming that the G10 does transmit on a separate midi channel for each string, each of the 4 slots should respond to note info for one string. Next step is to disconnect gate (turn off KBD button on envelopes) and velocity from the patch and replace with gate/velocity outputs of a MIDI NoteRcv module, one for each slot. Set the NoteRcv MIDI channel and note number to match those produced by four pads and you should be set. Save the whole thing as a performance.
The problem with going to a single polyphonic patch is that there is no control of the voice allocation, so you would not know which string was going to be triggered by a given pad. You would also loose individual bend data, limiting playing style.
bakuna

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

G10 does transmit on a separate midi channel for each string , no matter how difficult it sounds what Gian suggests i'm gonna try tonight to execute it .

[quote]Does this Korg have a MIDI-merge function?

Korg pads can transmit/receive different cc# on each pad .i'm not sure if it has midi merge function . if i pick single not on the G10 NECK i wand to be able to triger same note with Korg pad .its just playing with two hands is more interesting then with one. not necessarily Flamengo type of strumming i want to achieve , i'd be more then happy with monophonic trigger . but anyhow it sounds that Gian uderstood what i'm trying to do.
i will write back tomorrow /
Fozzie

Audio files: 8
G2 patch files: 49

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Do I understand you correctly if I think you want to determine the pitch of the notes by the G10 and use the trigger signals from the pads? That would be quite easy on a G2, but you need a midi merge device (for combining both midi signals in the G2 midi-in) and the problem G2ian pointed out with the 6 strings / 4 slots.
bakuna

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thats what i want to do . is it a standard MIDI merge merger i need or theres any particular one ? and how do i integrate it ?
Jason

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think this is what they are referring to Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.
http://www.midisolutions.com/prodmrg.htm
2 into 1 = midi merge
bakuna

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thx.

i'm using midiman 8x8 with cubase sx . any idea of possible routings?
ian-s

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The padKontrol does not seem to have a soft through or merge (unless a computer is connected, then the in acts as a MIDI to USB).

How about the G10? If it does not have a dedicated MIDI Through connector than it may have a merger built in. Check the manual first.
bakuna

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Pad Control doesn't but G10 does , is there any possibilities ?
i recorded some melody lines to one of your tunes Gian hope you don't
mind .there's some mic spillage , i left mic on by mistake while recording

3080 plus Bakuna.mp3
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  3080 plus Bakuna.mp3
 Filesize:  1.22 MB
 Downloaded:  572 Time(s)

ian-s

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cool

Glad you got it working, sounds good.
bakuna

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You have some good work done . i would like to think something for Nagasaki ...
bakuna

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i would be great if someone can finalize it . Gian , if G10 has MIDI through how can it be possible to implement what i'm trying to do ? if it is not possible then i will stop posting and let you guys get on with your doings
ian-s

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

bakuna wrote:
if G10 has MIDI through how can it be possible to implement what i'm trying to do ?

Some Yamaha devices have a built in merge which duplicates midi info sent to the in port, on the out port. This saves the space and cost of the third midi connector. If the G10 has a dedicated through port then it is less likely to have the built in merge but check the manual.

The attached performance is a simplified version of what I described earlier, if you manage to get MIDI data from both devices into the G2.

The G2 keyboard wont play this, it will accept triggers on MIDI channel 5 from 4 pads set to E4,F4,F#4,G4

Programming variations will not be simple, you would need to copy to each of the other three slots. On the plus side, you can have different sounds for each string.

PadKontrolG10-1.prf2
 Description:
set G10 midi to channel 1,2,3 and 4

Download
 Filename:  PadKontrolG10-1.prf2
 Filesize:  5.98 KB
 Downloaded:  1443 Time(s)

bakuna

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thx for the prf. i'll try to work it tonight

regards
Page 1 of 1 [17 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » G2 Building Blocks
Jump to: