electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Reviews, Editorials and Commentary » Reviews, Reports and Interviews
The Cracklebox - Great things come in small packages
Page 2 of 3 [55 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3 Next
softfreak

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: crackle sound Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
Anywho, I'd like to have a full-time internet streaming radio running here in the not too distant future.

a good idea.
I`d love to contribute with some musical experiments...

Wout Blommers

Audio files: 123
G2 patch files: 12

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

FLechdrop wrote:
... so I'd figure that there are still some in stock, wouldn't you?

Two years ago I bought #163 and #167, so I think there are still some left over Smile

Wout
softfreak

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

there was a series last winter btw....
klangumsetzer

Audio files: 32

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hey,

just placed my order for a kraakdos...

i would really like to build one and modify it for sonifying chemical reactions... problem is this is my first electronic project... Embarassed

looking at the schematic from johan boberg's site (see below) i do not understand: Question
capacitors C1&C2 are 10 n_F_?
is C3 2 n_F (what does 2n7 mean?)
what are the u-labeled components?

how would you add a line out and volume control? (howard?)

for building circuits there are so-called laboratory boards available, where you clip-fasten components and make connections via patch cords. what do you think of those?

best regards

eike
---

kraakdoos_schematic.gif
 Description:
source: http://www.eam.se/kraakdoos/
 Filesize:  5.49 KB
 Viewed:  38195 Time(s)

kraakdoos_schematic.gif

Uncle Krunkus

Audio files: 52
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

2n7 is shorthand for 2.7nF
6u8 - 6.8uF
4K7 - 4.7Kohms
1M5 - 1.5Mohms
etc.

It's just a quick and accurate method which doesn't rely on a decimal point.

klangumsetzer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thanks for clarifying!
hm, what about the U2 etc-BC thingies...? Embarassed

best regards

eike
---
Uncle Krunkus

Audio files: 52
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

U is a generic descriptor prefix for semi-conductors. In a schematic like this it covers ICs and transistors. Sometimes they are separated out into Txx for transistors and ICxx for ICs. Sometimes they are all covered by another general prefix such as Q. Descriptors are specific to the drawing and have nothing to do with the actual part number. The BCxxx (part number) transistors are a series of small signal transistors. I think the same types are made by a number of manufacturers. The history, markings, makes, case styles and functions of all transistors could now easily fill an encyclopedia, so don't expect to know anything which you haven't actually used. ICs would fill another encyclopedia. It's a big field, and one which is learned very slowly.
Wild Zebra

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here's mine Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.
Thanks to DNNY for sending me the chip. If any of you are friends with DNNY. Shake his hand for me. He's been very helpful and a positive influence in diy'in. And give V-UN-V a hearty handshake too.(how you been?) How bought them Sound Labs guys?

Big ole stomp switch to turn it on and the red button is a speaker cancel.

At first I wasn't sure if it worked properly til I heard your sample MOSC. NICE. I love this thing. I agree I would like to make a ton of them.
Long live the Crackle Box.

arcticbeard

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 3:04 pm    Post subject: cracklebox
Subject description: i like it
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hi I seem to make an appearance every year or so - just wanted to say i love the crackle box - I wish to have one - or maybe 2 joined together that work in unison , they seem to sound like a broken stylophone - i guess its that same kinda electronics. I think u guys are pretty clever making these gadgets i wish i could do that.

live long & prosper to you all

Chill Out |: )>
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 211
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey, ArcticBeard - great to see you. Good to see you again. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
arcticbeard

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 10:22 am    Post subject: hey thanks Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thanks for that Mosc,
I dont return here as much as I should - I cant seem to find the time to do half of what i want to do. So much music to make etc, I hope you are well, & Enjoying yourself : )>

Ill try & make an appearance more often

Is Electro80 still here?

Chill Out |: )>
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, elektro80 is still here. Laughing

We would be lost without him.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
mattbartlett303

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 3:00 am    Post subject: Parts for a DIY Cracklebox Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi, seems I'm a bit late on this one, but I've just come across some schematics for a cracklebox. I printed them out ages ago, but gave up on them because I couldn't track down the 709 Op-Amp that the circuit requires.

Does anyone know where I can get hold of some of these old and seemingly unpopular little ic's? Or alternatively does anyone know of a suitable part I could use as a substitute?

If anyone can help I'll be very grateful, I'll also try and find the link to the schematics for anyone who's interested.

Thanks,
Matt.
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 3:10 am    Post subject: Re: hey thanks Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

arcticbeard wrote:
thanks for that Mosc,
I dont return here as much as I should - I cant seem to find the time to do half of what i want to do. So much music to make etc, I hope you are well, & Enjoying yourself : )>

Ill try & make an appearance more often

Is Electro80 still here?

Hey! Yup, I am still around! Great to see you found your way back to us! Very Happy

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Parts for a DIY Cracklebox Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mattbartlett303 wrote:
Does anyone know where I can get hold of some of these old and seemingly unpopular little ic's? Or alternatively does anyone know of a suitable part I could use as a substitute?

The search feature on this site is pretty useful. I just did a search for 709. Check out this post: http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-10825.html

and, welcome

ultra

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thanks for that schematic! i managed to track down a bunch of those LM709 op amps (wow do they look vintage) and made a couple crackleboxes for my girlfriend's brothers as xmas presents. they love 'em. i've yet to build mine as i want to add an output jack as well as the speaker. i got a condenser mic for xmas so i'm going to eventually post some recordings of both methods if i get the line out to work. does anybody have recommendations on how to modify the schematic for this? so far i'm going to base it on a simple metronome schematic i have that has an optional line out on it. before the speaker, it uses a spdt switch to choose between going directly to a speaker, or to a 10k resistor. after the 10k resistor, it splits. one to the jack, the other to a 1k resistor connected to a ground. i guess if this works i'll post a redrawn schematic with the new connections on it. perhaps this will be tonight's project Smile.
mtvic

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Found a sony telephone picup/microphone at a thrift shop for a dollar.
It works great with my crackle box.
Had it autographed by Jan St Werner and Andi Toma (mouse on Mars)at their recent show in New York.
Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

mjsemtex

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i just ordered one of these through the kagi website...

has anyone ordered recently and knows for sure that they're still available?

thanks.
mtvic

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Did you order through STEIM.org.
Or should I say did you link to kagi from stem ?

If not Try

http://www.steim.org/steim/cracklebox.php

m

mjsemtex

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

yeah, i followed the link through the steim site to the kagi site to pay via credit card... rather than their bank transfer.
klangumsetzer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hi,

i ordered one last summer. if i remember correctly, it took about 2 months to ship. probably depends on the time of year... Wink

best regards

eike
---
ultra

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

you can build one in an afternoon. Smile
mjsemtex

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

picked mine up at the post office friday morning...

it's so nice to look at... very nice woodwork. and i'm really into the sounds i can get out of it... can't wait to start sampling it.

(when i get my studio back together this week)
SPIKE the Percussionist

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

love the Cracklebox noiz.
[CrackleBox #147]
one of my favourite weapons in the noiz arsenal!!

plays along with the BugBrand Weevil!

++

[[more noiz!]]

SPIKE the Percussionist

- http://www.manipulate.net -

ASTROGENIC HALLUCINAUTING
CoRE - Troupe Music Director
DOGGEBI
morgue city
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Haha... Spike, I was wearing your tee shirt tonight. The guys from Fringe Element asked about you. I said you hit the forum from time to time. Here you are. What anice coincidence. Very Happy
Page 2 of 3 [55 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Reviews, Editorials and Commentary » Reviews, Reports and Interviews
Jump to: