electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
S/H => bitcrusher-style
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 2 of 4 [84 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
piedwagtail

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
The build quality is formidable....

not to read entirely straightforward,Uncle K Wink

nevertheless zipzaps buffer difficulties could be ironed out with one of those impedence analysers...0-15 Mhz should cover all....just a snip at $20,000,probably.
Wouldn't surprise me if they weren't a subsidary of Haliburton ,these days....

Robert
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

piedwagtail wrote:
Wouldn't surprise me if they weren't a subsidary of Haliburton ,these days....

Shocked

You mean, these Kerr devices come with an imprint of Cheney´s butt.

Shocked

I guess I would have preferred a Jesus bumper sticker.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
bugbrand

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sorry, still no updates on this circuit - I did breadboard the planned VCO part (based on Rene Schmitz 3phase LFO driver), but not fully tested..

(it does become harder to focus on work when the summer starts to approach...)

Anyone else got any good ideas for simple VC Osc control? I may try the Vactrols, but wondered if there's any other good ideas. If it can make use of a 40106 gate that'd be super!

The circuit idea now looks like this:
Rate Reducer Proto2 (EDIT -- note: this didn't work out!)

The main problem seems to be that -ve CVs don't really work out.. (hence the range knob is connected between +v and gnd rather than +v and -v in Rene's original design.. I'd like to be able to feed it with normal bipolar signals

I also connected R7 to +5v rather than v+ ----- that seems to be best??

Oh the confusion.
(highlights my sketchy electronic skills..)

Last edited by bugbrand on Thu Sep 21, 2006 1:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Uncle Krunkus

Audio files: 52

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

What did you draw that schem with Bug?
bugbrand

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

YoYo - its done in Eagle (www.cadsoft.de) and screen grabbed.
bugbrand

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

HeHe how the time flies (..bugs on the mind..)
Partly summertime I guess...
Well, finally I've gotten some great results from the Rate Reducer ideas.
I've now used an LM13700 for voltage controlled resistance driven by a log converter from a Ray Wilson VCA.

Here's the new schematic (if anyone wants an Eagle PCB layout then email me --- I've got it with the two pots on the board (I like doing it this way..!?!..)) - nice and compact little layout and working really well (well,actually, after a very silly mistake --- I'd prototyped it using Ray's Log/Lin converter so used a TL072 - when I built the new version yesterday I took the chips from the old prototype and completely forgot that I should now be using a TL071 - so I had a couple of hours of real head scratching --- DUH!)

Ok, so it uses an AN781 -- get a free sample from analog devices.
The choice of bits for the LM13700 VCResistor was a bit of trial and error - working around from the datasheet example I took the pair of resistors down from 100k to 4k7 - seems to work good now
There;s probably scope for improvement..

Comments etc would be great.!.

I'm happy now with this VC Resistor - it works well - none of the wierdy problems I had from -ve voltages when using DIY vactrols (..but that was probably due to my lack of real electronics knowledge..!..). I'm now going to re-do the simple varishape LFO scheme to make it simply voltage controllable. YES YES YES this opens up a load of possibilities.!.

Edit --- oh yeah, at full rate (with the 40106 osc running at highspeed) it does degrade the signal a bit (makes it noisy) -- I haven't yet measured the actual speeds its running at.. But I added a simple true-bypass switch around the module inputs.

Today I try to make this into a stomp pedal with modulation LFOs and volume pedal control input. DOPE-ASSED!

EDIT2 --- oh yeah, I'm totally naming this the BUG CRUSHER!

bugbrand

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oh, maybe no-one is as excited as me then....
(other than Dnny -- yup I send you the plans tomorrow)

I wonder whether this counts as an analogue or digital effect? I kind of figure analogue...?... maybe blurs the boundaries..

Anyway, its now in a stompbox form and sounding freaking amazing (with LFO modulation - varishape pulse and triangle - and CV foot control too)

I'll post pics and sounds tomorrow morning..

blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

bugbrand wrote:
maybe blurs the boundaries..

Yes, its time discrete continues level processing, another interesting device using that is the bucket brigade delay. Sort of inbetween what's usually called analog and digital.

See we read you Very Happy

bugbrand

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

HeeHee -- up pretty late in the Netherlands..!..
Cheers man!
((yeah, I know people had been reading..!.. I'm just super buzzed about it 'cos as far as I know there's only a very small handful of hardware bitcrushers - mainly the Frostwave Sonic Alienator and then digi effects like the Alesis Bitrman - so as far as I can see I'm onto something interesting and kind-of new..!..))

blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ah well, what's late, looking forward to hear your samples tomorrow Very Happy
Uncle Krunkus

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oh, I'm excited! Very Happy
I'd like to do a stripboard for it if you want me to.
I'm just not sure when I'll next get the chance to scratch myself Laughing
I've also got some ideas I'd like to try adding to the foundations that you've begun, if that's okay.
How do you get those chips?

bugbrand

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

YES! Any circuit improvements would be great! As I say, my electronics knowledge is pretty darn sketchy - very trial'n'error so I'm sure that you all with proper indepths could walk all over the circuit - that'd be GREAT!

..for super simple (ie not voltage controlled) check back to the first schematic I posted -- that'd be super simple to breadboard and works really well...

Hehe - yes, I know about the whole lack of time - ALWAYS! I gotta cram in so much stuff before I go on tour in a band at the end of next week - wobbling all around the UK that'll be so fun.!.

Ok for the chips go to www.analog.com and set up an account -- you need to have a business (or just make one up). Once its up and running you can order free samples - up to six chips (max two of any one type) can be sampled per order - so search for AD781 and scroll down to find the different ones -- there's actually two AD781 types that can be sampled (dunno the real difference between them) so you can get four total for free - and then you may as well grab a couple of AD633s for ringmods to fill up the sample cart!

OkOkOK SOUNDS!!!!!!
Guitar
TR505
Voice
Whistling

------ sounds like a bit crusher!!!
---actually, sounds a bit like a Gristliser when the modulation is fast & deep..!.. And check the aliasing wierdy-wonders with the Whistling!

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wow, congratulations. Very nice looking and excellent sound demos. I like the guitar demo quite a bit. You should have lots of fun with this device. Well done... Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sounds like its working well, in the voice a guitar tacks I heard some very nice things. The whistling I'm not sure about Very Happy
bugbrand

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

CHEERS!
(oh but you don't like the whistles...... ach, just demo-ing the wierdy under'n'over-tones...)

Yeah, it works out pretty well on voice - one ace thing is that it seems to reduce feedback (to some extent - and I've not exactly done extensive tests) 'cos the high frequencies are crushed... May be good application for live bands... (though probably best used sparingly.!.)

zipzap

Audio files: 24

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That i Like!
Wonderful Sounds! I´ll build one!
What happens when you feed back the output?
bugbrand

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

..hhmmmmm haven't tried that yet --- WILL DO!
Basthian

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Uncle Krunkus wrote:
Oh, I'm excited! Very Happy
I'd like to do a stripboard for it if you want me to.
I'm just not sure when I'll next get the chance to scratch myself Laughing
I've also got some ideas I'd like to try adding to the foundations that you've begun, if that's okay.
How do you get those chips?

How is that layout going? bugbrand told me to order some free samples of the AD781 and now I want to try it.

/André
Uncle Krunkus

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sorry,
I just haven't had time. I'm trying to finish some projects first. I am interested in this though. Keep buggin' me. Smile

Basthian

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Uncle Krunkus wrote:
Sorry,
I just haven't had time. I'm trying to finish some projects first. I am interested in this though. Keep buggin' me. Smile

I will (<--- me buggin' you)
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Uncle Krunkus wrote:
"Wayne Kerr"!!?? Shocked
That's got to be a joke right? Laughing

"Wayne Kerr" was an alter-ego of Blue Jam genius Chris Morris.

He appeared several times interviewing several British MP's and others. So up their own arses that these people were, none got the joke Laughing

Yes- wayne kerr is a joke Very Happy

BUT- after doing a google search, it looks like there are indeed some poor fools who are actually called Wayne Kerr !! Laughing

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The Bit Crusher sounds wicked- especialy on geetar Smile

So much to catch up on after soooooo long without my computer Sad

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

EDIT by v-un-v; this is the link to the good schematics on the electro-music.com forum (so if Tombugs' external link goes down you lucky people will never loose them- hoorah!)

It doesn't matter if this EM link gets lost in the vaults, because this is the link to it (thank Jan :D ). Hoorah again! :D

Also see : http://electro-music.com/forum/post-90435.html#90435

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

PS, Especially big thanks (and hugs) to Tom bugbrand for giving us this lovely circuit Very Happy

Thank you Tom! Cool

bugbrand

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oh I've caused thread chaos - bad bugs!

I'll try to attach the files or do a link on the first post of the thread - that'd maybe sort things a bit or just make it more spaghetti

Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 2 of 4 [84 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: