electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
ASM-2
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 5 of 8 [192 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 Next
Adam-V

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nice job on the ASM-2 Uncle Krankus. Have you got a part number for that case? It looks like just the ticket for a project I'm currently working on but I can't seem to find it in their catalogue.

Cheers,
Adam-V
Uncle Krunkus

Audio files: 52
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here you go: -

click here

[editor's note: reduced the size of the link that was way to wide. --mosc]

Adam-V

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ah, I didn't realise it was an attaché case and was looking in the enclosures section.

Thanks for that.

Adam-V
Uncle Krunkus

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just a quick update on what's been going on with the ASM-2.
Recently I've done a load of modifications to the front panel controls.
These were based on a few hours of setting up, testing, and general playing with control options. Mostly modulation inputs, but also the adding of functional front panel patch points for keyboard CV in, Gate ins, Trigger ins, VCF-CV ins, SQR outs, and a power out to run an input interface of some kind. This could be a typical CV+Gate type keyboard, but I plan on finishing my Electro-Didge slide controller / Resonator and using that as the main "instrument" input.
I've also been doing a lot of this work in preparation for the arrival of a beautiful bouncing baby Klee Sequencer. When will it arrive? I don't know! But it's so exciting! Very Happy Wink

BTW If anyone wants a copy of the front panel artwork (including the latest updates) for their ASM-2, just let me know.

BBTW I should have some cool samples to post fairly soon, which will show off what it's capable of.

Uncle Krunkus

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've got 9 jacks on the front now, and even though there's only nine, they all work! Very Happy
Sorry if this seems a bit remedial to some, but the last time I actually played around with patch cords was in 1982, when we got hold of a System 100 in our music class at school.

I've got: -
SQR out of VCO1
CV in for VCF1
CV in for VCF2
Keyboard CV in (switch patched to lots of things)
Keyboard Gate in
Re-Trigger in for the ADSRs
VCA1 out
VCA2 out
Supplemental power out to feed my CV source

I'll be ordering a whole load more sockets soon, and I've got room for another 25 patch points. The original labelling has already gone out the window, but I figure it's good to keep the actual patch points an evolutionary thing at this stage. I won't know what I want till I need it.

Here's a nice drone I was playing with. It's got a bit of reverb on it. With the sub turned on, this is real close encounters kind of stuff! Cool

ASM-2 07.mp3
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  ASM-2 07.mp3
 Filesize:  544.4 KB
 Downloaded:  1690 Time(s)

blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 277
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Uncle Krunkus wrote:
Here's a nice drone I was playing with.

It's coming out here loud and clear !
Quote:
With the sub turned on, this is real close encounters kind of stuff! Cool

And close encountery Very Happy

(a bit short tho, and not so expressive, I want more)

Rinxai

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, more please. Very Happy

I've been foolin around with virtual analog software synths for some time, and while never having had the opportunity to fool around with proper analog gear, I've suspected that there is a difference. listening to that drone not only clarifies the difference, but inspires the resolve to build.
Clack

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi, Im gradually building the asm-2 got the board from elby. Just want to ask a few questions

I am using quarter watt resistors rather than half do you think this will give me problems? I assumed not. I am also curious about capacitors , he lists the voltage of the capacitor as well as the type ( mylar , polyester, ceramic, multilayer ceramic ) do I have to follow this closely? if not would I run into problems?

as for a 50ppm resistor - I have found on a datasheet that my resistors are 50ppm max would this be ok? I assume when they say max they have no idea what it could be so no?

I am going to make mine a semi modular, will post when im finished ( in a year! )
Dan Lavin

Audio files: 21

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Mr. Clack,
I have not built the ASM stuff personally, but you need to follow the capacitor recommendations on voltage. They can be higher rated, (for instance you can sub a 50v for a 16v cap), but don't go with a lower rating. The type myler, etc. needs to be followed. Caps have different characteristics concerning leakage, temp dependence, etc. Also, when the pcb is being laid out, a certain type of cap with a specified value has a certain lead spacing and width, height and thickness. By substituting, you run a risk of not fitting in the space or the leads not fitting in the holes very well.
Clack

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

how does the voltage rating of a cap affect it? does it make it more accurate? does it just the risk of popping caps?

sorry maybe too genral electronics rather than asm , its just I dont know how I could find out this stuff reading books! ( maybe im reading the wrong books )
Dan Lavin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
how does the voltage rating of a cap affect it? does it make it more accurate? does it just the risk of popping caps?

Popping in extreme cases, but general degradation of the component over time.
frijitz

Audio files: 54

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Mr Clack wrote:
sorry maybe too genral electronics rather than asm , its just I dont know how I could find out this stuff reading books! ( maybe im reading the wrong books )

You are spot on there. Electronics textbooks don't tell you many of the things you need to know for building practical circuits. Especially in the area of passive components, such as caps. But there are literally hundreds of years of combined building experience on this forum, so don't ever feel like you shouldn't be asking questions about things that seem simple. Often they're not. Very Happy
Clack

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi just a quick question, I have a 3600ppm tempco and elby designs construction sheet tells me i therfore need a 50ppm resistor with it. Where do I get that ! the resistors I use say "upto 50ppm" will theese work? but i assume upto means it could be any value below that? or not?

here's my layout if anyone's interested!!! (its a draft ) a modified version of the wizard, its going to be on A3 white perspex

panel1.pdf
 Description:
Layout for ASM-2 wizard

Download
 Filename:  panel1.pdf
 Filesize:  170.01 KB
 Downloaded:  464 Time(s)

Uncle Krunkus

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I just had a quick look around and found a copy of the BOM which quotes a 1K 3500ppm plus a 62R 100ppm. I think the point is that if you use a 3600ppm you don't want the other one to shift very much at all, therefore the specified 50ppm (or less). To be honest I don't think the extra resistor's co-efficient is that critical. (It's a 1/16th of the value which is changing at 1/35th the rate of the tempco. I think it's basically just a 62R to make up the numbers)
Does that make sense?
Does anybody else know more about this? I'm just working it out intuitively, there may be more to it than that. Mine uses what seems to be just a bog standard carbon resistor, and I got them in a set with the tempco's from Elby.
In fact I'm pretty sure that a standard carbon resistor would be rated at 100ppm, and that a metal film resistor would be 50ppm (or less). Correct me if I'm wrong.

frijitz

Audio files: 54

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Uncle Krunkus wrote:
I just had a quick look around and found a copy of the BOM which quotes a 1K 3500ppm plus a 62R 100ppm. I think the point is that if you use a 3600ppm you don't want the other one to shift very much at all, therefore the specified 50ppm (or less). To be honest I don't think the extra resistor's co-efficient is that critical. (It's a 1/16th of the value which is changing at 1/35th the rate of the tempco. I think it's basically just a 62R to make up the numbers)
Does that make sense?
Does anybody else know more about this? I'm just working it out intuitively, there may be more to it than that. Mine uses what seems to be just a bog standard carbon resistor, and I got them in a set with the tempco's from Elby.
In fact I'm pretty sure that a standard carbon resistor would be rated at 100ppm, and that a metal film resistor would be 50ppm (or less). Correct me if I'm wrong.

The extra resistor is to make the combined resistance have a tempco of closer to ideal. Its own coefficient isn't critical -- just use a metal film and you will be OK. BTW, there is usually a large uncertainty in the actual tempco, so the correction won't be exact anyway.

Carbon film resistors have tempcos in the -200 to -800 ppm/K range. I sometimes use them to compensate the temperature dependence of the VCO core. Metal film resistors may be had with different tempcos. Most common are +/- 100 and +/-50 ppm/K.

Here is some further reading: Very Happy
http://home.comcast.net/~ijfritz/sy_cir2.htm
http://home.comcast.net/~ijfritz/sy_cir4.htm
http://home.comcast.net/~ijfritz/sy_cir4.htm
Dan Lavin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Uncle Krunkus,

Your tuition is right on regarding the temp coefficients with the thermistor and resistor. I haven't built the ASM-1 or-2, but I have ~20 yrs of temp compensating experience thru my job. I pulled a random part from RCD and they show a temp coefficient of +/-50ppm on the slope, then there is a linearity deviation of +/-0.2% then there is a self-heating issue of +2mW/degreeC. In other words, we just need to get into the ballpark.

But remember, the silicon we're compensating is not a very tight, precise figure either....and probably much less so. My company used to make +8000ppm/C parts. They are made of a heavily doped P silicon ( a diode is a +P and a -N silicone, so these parts are just P++, no N). Depending on where we got silicone at the moment, and it could be American, European, Chinese, Russian....., the slope could vary maybe 500ppm.

So, in some ways, it's like those non-critical caps. A 0.15 might do good for a 0.22. We just don't want to throw in a 4.7uF or a 15pF cap, but we do want to get in the general ballpark (concerning the total ppm for the thermistors).
Uncle Krunkus

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah, I thought it was like that. Mostly a case of dragging the response back towards the ballpark. Hell, I'm sure if you calculated an exact hole in one the wind would change! ie; the tolerance of 5 other components would start fudging the numbers.
Clack

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

cool thanks Very Happy
synthnl

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I just started building mine Smile

I will post about it regularly on my blog here:

http://synthnl.blogspot.com/search/label/asm-2

I hope it will work when I'm done Very Happy

http://www.myspace.com/synthnl
http://www.synth.nl/
http://synthnl.blogspot.com/
Uncle Krunkus

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nice blog Michel,
I'll look forward to seeing how your ASM-2 comes along.

synthnl

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Uncle Krunkus wrote:
Nice blog Michel,
I'll look forward to seeing how your ASM-2 comes along.

Thanks. I have no idea how long it will take me. I have to do some work and some music in between as well Smile

synthnl

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi, just posted a little update:

http://synthnl.blogspot.com/2008/04/asm-2-part-3.html

PCB is nearly finished. But I seem to have some trouble getting some components I thought weren't that hard to find.

Clack

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi,

Im trying at the moment to finish my asm-2 wizard, but I cant seem to find out were the non-100klin pots go ( 1m , 50k, 100klog etc). The only reference I can seem to find to what goes were is below but it only says which section it goes in - not what specific control each pot value is for

http://www.elby-designs.com/asm2-wizard/wizard-bom.pdf

I was wondering is this information on the CD but not on the site? I have lost the cd! any one know were I can find this info! without having to guess with scematics!

ps here is a little sneak peak of mine, mmm white and beige

P1080796.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.19 MB
 Viewed:  318 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

P1080796.JPG

sneakthief

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

go to this page:

ASM2-Genie Wiring Details

http://www.elby-designs.com/asm-genie/wiring.htm

now download each pdf for each module and you can easily figure out which pots to use where by cross referencing them with the BOM.

Last edited by sneakthief on Fri May 02, 2008 12:46 am; edited 1 time in total
synthnl

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Mr Clack wrote:
Hi,
ps here is a little sneak peak of mine, mmm white and beige

Looks great!

I have the CD here btw. Just E-mail me if you still need it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 5 of 8 [192 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: