electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » ChucK programming language
granular synthesis methods for ChucK
Page 3 of 4 [83 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
Inventor
Stream Operator

Audio files: 267

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nicely done, Frostburn, I enjoyed the sound sample and the code looks very well written as is your usual style. Now along the same lines, I am wondering if we can use this DigitalTape class to create songs such as this one by Amy X Neuburg:

http://amyxneuburg.com/sound/tattoo.seg.mp3

It has a vocal track that you can discern, and underlying that is noisy stuff that sounds somewhat like grains of the vocal track. I think it's really samples of other singing, but we could approximate that with grains.

I'm thinking that a ChucK program could record the vocals and then construct that underlying grainy chaos from the recording. The program could construct many layers of granularity, or really a continuum of granularity from fine to coarse simultaneously. We would then have the ability to automatically generate this kind of song from any vocal track.

That could be a very effective music creation tool. Just sing the lyrics and a complete enjoyable song is automatically generated by ChucK.

In addition to vocals, it might work well using a single instrument as the source, such as a sequence from Guitar Lab. Create one good musical track of any single source and out pops a finished song.

I may give this a try if you or kijjaz don't feel so inclined, what do you think?
Frostburn

Audio files: 9

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

My few experimentations with DigitalTape suggest that it is some kind of a super filter. It can do flanger, reverb, time dilation, scrathing... Well pretty much anything and even some more.

I've added cubic interpolation and better loop control for DigitalTape but there are some nasty bugs related to the new system that I've yet to catch.
I'll be posting when it's ready.

kijjaz

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This turns out to be very general as i expected.
Soon we'll have many read and write heads flying around,
creating some monster machine hahhaha -_-"

I wanna try one take with the idea also.
i'll try to make something that sounds different in character.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Frostburn

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ok, known bugs crushed.
I'll post the source now and start writing example files and documentation tomorrow.

digitaltape.ck
 Description:
DigitalTape
Now with cubic interpolation and looping with fractional start and end marks.

Download
 Filename:  digitaltape.ck
 Filesize:  12.26 KB
 Downloaded:  543 Time(s)

Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Very cool, guys. Now I want to write a signal control interface for it and plug it into Synth Lab. I'll wait and see what you do with it first, though.
quintopia

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:08 pm    Post subject: my patch Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I finally "finished" a patch for a piece I call Entropy. It's a press-and-play kind of thing, and I hope it helps stimulates some ideas for ways to use granular synthesis.

There is still one bug that I never cracked since I just edited the output to remove its effects. Namely, sometimes, when certain envelopes key on near the end, there are some clicks and pops from clipping artifacts.

Be sure to turn your speakers or headphones down before listening to it live.

granularprojcbetter.ck
 Description:
Entropy Generator Patch (c) 2008 David Rutter

Download
 Filename:  granularprojcbetter.ck
 Filesize:  11.74 KB
 Downloaded:  620 Time(s)

Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

How interesting. I'd like to hear it but it won't run on my miniAudicle or on the command line version for some reason. It looks like an interesting song, but it won't run. Can you post an mp3?
Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I was just looking over the DigitalTape class, and I think there is a good way to hook it up into Synth Lab. I have already established floating point input and output from between the analog signals and thet methods of a class. It's just a $ int cast to add integer capability. Plus I have already established logic levels for receiving bits from analog signals. I can just add an input node slider or two for each function call and an output slider for each return value. Hmm... it would be a good idea to have this in Synth_Lab, so I think I will do it.
quintopia

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mp3 of above patch sample results posted

after further review, i think there was one other bug i wasn't noticing for one reason or another. anyway, the results sound fine.

entropyfinalbetter.mp3
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  entropyfinalbetter.mp3
 Filesize:  4.72 MB
 Downloaded:  513 Time(s)

Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, iti was OK. I liked the music at the end best. It's a good example of granular synthesis as I understand it to be, where you have shredded up the sound at the beginning into smithereens. That is kind of cool in a way. The only problem I had was the tweedling sound that exists somewhat at the beginning and especially in the middle such high pitched sound hurts my ears, but that's my limitation not yours. My ears hurt when women shout for example. Might be better with lower frequencies I guess.
Frostburn

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I discovered a glitch in the looping and had to revise it.
Interpolating array writing in to the reverse direction with fractional looping wasn't as easy as I had thought. :P

Just a few more bug hunts to make sure and it should be ready for releasing.

EDIT: Source posted
some documentation can be found in the comments

up next: writing examples

but first:
Code:
Std.rand2f(6.0,10.0)::hour => dur sleep;
sleep => now;

EDIT2: Bugs in the reader... it should use a lattice point instead of Math.floor(...).

EDIT3: Yay! Floating point round offs generate random clicks and cubic interpolation doesn't behave... I need a break. Here's the source so far anyway.

EDIT4: Need to rewrite the lattice system...

digitaltape.ck
 Description:
version 0.101 beta

Download
 Filesize:  27.52 KB
 Downloaded:  406 Time(s)

Frostburn

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I added anti aliasing cosine interpolation to the reader but I'm still pondering on how to implement it on the writer side...

digitaltape.mp3
 Description:
Letting a write head and a read head roam freely on a piece of Digital Tape.

Download
 Filename:  digitaltape.mp3
 Filesize:  208.88 KB
 Downloaded:  753 Time(s)

digitaltape.ck
 Description:
Digital Tape version 0.2 beta

Download
 Filesize:  33.58 KB
 Downloaded:  316 Time(s)

Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wow that mp3 was awesome, It seems like a very professional effect. I tried to get the example to work by removing the /* and the */ plus putting a digitaltape.wav file in the samples directory but it only made silence. Not sure why that was, but I'll mess with it to try to make it work. It was running though, because it slowed my computer down to the point where the mouse was jumping when I moved it.
Frostburn

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Inventor wrote:
It was running though, because it slowed my computer down to the point where the mouse was jumping when I moved it.

Yeah... High quality antialias and cubic interpolation require an insane amount of floating point operations for ChucK to handle. It would propably be 50 times faster if it was written in C++.

Try writing the output to a file and run chuck with --silent.
It a does make sound file here when I copy/paste it to a new .ck file and uncomment
Code:
Impulse impulse => dac => WvOut wvout => blackhole; "foo.wav" => wvout.wavFilename;

EDIT: And everyone's free to try it out and experiment. Please report poor documentation and bugs. Questions are welcome.

kijjaz

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

wow.. the sound quality of the above example is great. it's clear and warm. i like it.
i'm still roaming around northern part of Thailand and still don't have time to play with your digital tape. -_-"
it's so exciting...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I hope you're having fun roaming about Thailand, kijjaz!
Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

As for DigitalTape, I appreciate your efforts to make it a high quality audio tool, but it's just plain unusable on my old Mac. I let it run for five minutes each on miniAudicle and command line ChucK with --silent, and no sign of completion. It did produce a 26-second output file, but it was inaudible. DigitalTape will just have to wait until I get a faster machine, which is not soon.
Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oh, and um, I don't intend the above post to be taken the wrong way. We're all pushing the limits of ChucK in various ways including CPU usage as we explore what we can do with this awesome tool. LiSa and SndBuff will have to do if you haven't got the oomph to run DigitalTape, I guess is the story.
Frostburn

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah, I totally understand.
Working with Digital Tape as it is requires patience and a good cooling system. I cannot do anything about that. You can try running everything with 0 => myDigitalTapeWriter.interp => myDigitalTapeReader.interp; but it's still too slow for realtime on most machines. Doing advanced stuff in ChucK that requires sample precission and a lot of operations will always be out of the reach of live gigs and impatience. (unless ChucK gets super optimized all of a sudden)
Maybe one day I'll port it to ChucK on the source level and then it'll become usable. No promises though. :)

Inventor wrote:
It did produce a 26-second output file, but it was inaudible.

That's odd.
Oh well, next time I make an example I'll try to keep it simple and independant of external .wav files.

kijjaz

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Inventor: Or the example needed to be run at an exact sample rate..? 44,100hz?
Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

kijjaz wrote:
Inventor: Or the example needed to be run at an exact sample rate..? 44,100hz?

Yep, ChucK is running at 44,100 Hz on this machine...

Frostburn

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ChucK has a default sample rate of 48,000 when running JACK. That's what I used.
kijjaz

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This is my first take of what i said to be a digital tape with a character.
The design turns to be very much like Frostburn's.
I still haven't implemented interpolation to the read head yet,
but tried a new method i come up with for writing.

the example code tries to record a simple sine tone in the begining
and then use one write head and one read head to scatter the sound of the begining part of the tape around randomly with random write speed.

it's that thing i want to do with this granular idea in ChucK.

for now, it sounds quite digital, but surely has a character.
the writing part still has problems. I'll correct the mathematical model.

it still has the ArrayOutOfBound error, i'll fix that very soon!
- - -

edited: Ahhh!! the algorithms are all so wrong. dont' take it seriously hahah
(but it's fun to listen to)

kijjaz-DigitalTape01-0.1.ck
 Description:
kijjaz's digital tape verion 0.1 alpha

Download
 Filename:  kijjaz-DigitalTape01-0.1.ck
 Filesize:  4.52 KB
 Downloaded:  262 Time(s)

Last edited by kijjaz on Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Frostburn

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oh ok. That example sounded like cutting tape in to pieces and splicing them back together after a good shake. Except it was more crazy and digital sounding. I liked it! Smile

However to me digital means high quality and tape brought up the idea of a looped medium to work on. The sense of unviolatible topology in me wouldn't have dared to cut such a pretty picture in to separated individual grains. There must be continuity and preferably smoothness (differential continuity).

But now that I think about it. Tape fits better in with the grainy splicy idea. While turntable would fit my approach.
I think I'll change the name in to DigitalTurntable so that you can use Digital Tape.

Of course you can break the sound buffer in to grain fragments with my classes but my intention is to create an abstract turntable with read and write heads that is not bound by the limits of time. (Only by the limits of processing power and available data). And the main focus is on quality instead of lightness so it's better/only suited for audio rendering than live performance.

Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Woah, take me to your leader! That sounds like a professional quality recording done for an electromusic track. It made a similar impression as Frostburn's mp3 - well done! It evan ran on my klunky old machine, wow.
Page 3 of 4 [83 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » ChucK programming language
Jump to: