electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » G2 Patches - Completed » Classic
MMG2
Page 1 of 1 [16 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
FlowerP

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 73

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 7:15 am    Post subject: MMG2
Subject description: Memorymoog emulation
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

MMG2 ("MemoryMooG2") is an attempt at emulating Moog's classic polysynth Memorymoog.

Background
I got tired of constant worries about my old analog equipment breaking down. The noise from my Memorymoog's internal fan was irritating. However, there were a few of my own patches that I wanted to keep. So a few years ago I started looking for a Memorymoog replacement. First I bought an Alesis Andromeda. That is a woderful synth in it's own right, but it can not replace a Memorymoog. The Andromeda has just 2 VCOs per voice. The keyboard mode "Legato" is somewhat broken and causes audible artifacts. I was able to recreate most of my Memorymoog patches on the Andromeda, but I was not satisfied with the sound. Later I bought a Creamware Minimax ASB. This is also a wonderful synth with powerful sound. By design it does not reproduce all aspects of the Memorymoog's architecture. Thus it is also unable to recreate my Memorymoog sounds. Finally I turned to the Nord Modular G2 Engine that I had already owned for some time. I read the Memorymoog schematics, patched equivalent "circuits" on G2 and tuned the patch by comparing with my real Memorymoog. Step by step the G2 patch came closer to sounding just like the Memorymoog. When close enough, I recreated my favourite Memorymoog patches on the G2.

About MMG2
By adding distortion/overdrive modules both before and after the G2 Classic filter, the main character of the Memorymoog is captured. Even at high resonance settings the G2 sounds remarkably authentic. The only situation where the difference between original and MMG2 is obvious is when the filter is controlled by a very fast envelope. Then the Memorymoog has a "woody" character to it's sound that is absent on the G2.

VCF Keyboard Tracking on the Memorymoog is controlled by two switches ("1/3" and "2/3"). Initially I replicated this structure in MMG2. When recreating patches with MMG2, I found that sometimes I had to adjust the tracking amounts slightly to get the most accurate reproduction of the original sound. Later I changed the Keyboard Tracking control from two switches to a single continuous control. "1/3" corresponds to 16.4, "2/3" to 33.6 and "3/3" to 50.

A few facilities are missing from MMG2:
    * No oscillator sync. I'm not a big fan of sync sounds, so to reduce patch load sync was omitted.

* No simultaneous waveforms. The Memorymoog VCOs offer sawtooth, pulse and triangle wave simultaneously. Reproduction of this facility on the G2 would have a high patch load cost. Very few of my favourite patches actually use simultaneous waveforms. Therefore, in order to reduce patch load MMG2 offers just a single waveform selection for each oscillator.

* Envelope Keyboard follow is not implemented. It is easy to add a keyboard morph to the timed envelope segments. To make this controllable by a single on-off switch is a bit harder. Keeping patch load down seems more important, so envelope keyboard follow is omitted from MMG2.

* Envelope Unconditional Contour is comparable to Keyboard follow in that I don't know how to implement it in an easily switchable way and at the same time inexpensively. Therefore Unconditional Contour remains unimplemented.

* No Unison mode. Once again, I'm simply not that interested in this facility, so I haven't bothered to implement it. I suppose it is possible to add a Unison building block to the FX area, if you really want Unison.

The future
For me MMG2 sounds close enough to a Memorymoog. Consequently I recently sold my Memorymoog. Now I can enjoy my old Moog patches without worrying about when the synth will break down. I'm already working on a similar emulation project for Oberheim Matrix-6. It is not quite finished yet, but it will hopefully be during 2007.

MMG2_parameters.jpg
 Description:
MMG2 parameter mapping. The controls for Voice Modulation are mapped to the Effect section. Glide, Pitch Bend Depth and Octave Shift are adjusted in the Patch Settings window.
 Filesize:  65.83 KB
 Viewed:  674 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

MMG2_parameters.jpg

MMG2_layout.jpg
 Description:
MMG2 module layout. The pinkish-grey modules are the user adjustable parts of the patch, whereas the blue modules are preset internal parts of the patch and should not be changed.
 Filesize:  418.63 KB
 Viewed:  738 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

MMG2_layout.jpg

MMG2-53.pch2
 Description:
Polyphonic organ sound.

Download
 Filename:  MMG2-53.pch2
 Filesize:  5.34 KB
 Downloaded:  1777 Time(s)

MMG2-32.pch2
 Description:
Polysynth.

Download
 Filename:  MMG2-32.pch2
 Downloaded:  1897 Time(s)

MMG2-01.pch2
 Description:
Monophonic sound.

Download
 Filename:  MMG2-01.pch2
 Downloaded:  1850 Time(s)

Last edited by FlowerP on Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi FlowerP
welcome to electro-music.com Very Happy
(impressive first post Exclamation )

Quote:
Don't die with your music still in you - Wayne Dyer
FlowerP

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

More MMG2 patches.

MMG2-02.pch2
 Description:
Monophonic patch with high resonance.

Download
 Filename:  MMG2-02.pch2
 Downloaded:  1587 Time(s)

MMG2-05.pch2
 Description:
Monophonic patch, single triggered. This is the patch that differs most from the original Memorymoog patch. The G2 filter reacts differently to a fast envelope.

Download
 Filename:  MMG2-05.pch2
 Downloaded:  1618 Time(s)

MMG2-15.pch2
 Description:
Monophonic, delayed vibrato.

Download
 Filename:  MMG2-15.pch2
 Downloaded:  1588 Time(s)

MMG2-16.pch2
 Description:
Monophonic. Inspired by Rick Wakeman's Journey To The Centre Of The Earth.

Download
 Filename:  MMG2-16.pch2
 Downloaded:  1703 Time(s)

MMG2-17.pch2
 Description:
Monophonic. Inspired by UK's Rendezvous 6.02.

Download
 Filename:  MMG2-17.pch2
 Downloaded:  1567 Time(s)

Last edited by FlowerP on Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
FlowerP

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

More MMG2 patches.

MMG2-18.pch2
 Description:
Monophonic. Inspired by UK's Nothing To Lose.

Download
 Filename:  MMG2-18.pch2
 Downloaded:  1549 Time(s)

MMG2-23.pch2
 Description:
Monophonic. Inspired by Yes's And You And I.

Download
 Filename:  MMG2-23.pch2
 Downloaded:  1607 Time(s)

MMG2-29.pch2
 Description:
Monophonic. Inspired by a MOTM demo by Ken Elhardt. http://www.synthtech.com/demos.html http://www.synthtech.com/demo/motmbrass.mp3

Download
 Filename:  MMG2-29.pch2
 Downloaded:  1633 Time(s)

MMG2-31.pch2
 Description:
Polyphonic. Inspired by UK's In The Dead Of Night.

Download
 Filename:  MMG2-31.pch2
 Downloaded:  1636 Time(s)

MMG2-36.pch2
 Description:
Polyphonic. Clavinet-type sound.

Download
 Filename:  MMG2-36.pch2
 Downloaded:  1560 Time(s)

Last edited by FlowerP on Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
FlowerP

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Still more MMG2 patches.

MMG2-47.pch2
 Description:
Monophonic. Not inspired by any particular song, but makes me think of Pink Floyd's Wish You Were Here.

Download
 Filename:  MMG2-47.pch2
 Downloaded:  1586 Time(s)

MMG2-64.pch2
 Description:
Monophonic. A bit odd, this one. Originally a "Taurus" preset from a softsynth, recreated on my Memorymoog and now re-recreated with MMG2. Never sounded much like a real Taurus though.

Download
 Filename:  MMG2-64.pch2
 Downloaded:  1621 Time(s)

MMG2-65.pch2
 Description:
Rather similar to MMG2-64.

Download
 Filename:  MMG2-65.pch2
 Downloaded:  1637 Time(s)

MMG2-76.pch2
 Description:
Monophonic, single triggered. Inspired by a song on Rick Wakeman's The Six Wives Of Henry VIII.

Download
 Filename:  MMG2-76.pch2
 Downloaded:  1604 Time(s)

MMG2-77.pch2
 Description:
Polyphonic, high resonance.

Download
 Filename:  MMG2-77.pch2
 Downloaded:  1506 Time(s)

Last edited by FlowerP on Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
FlowerP

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

And a few final MMG2 patches.

MMG2-OctaveLead1.pch2
 Description:
Another monophonic lead sound created with MMG2 on a G2X.

Download
 Filename:  MMG2-OctaveLead1.pch2
 Downloaded:  1361 Time(s)

MMG2-Skrzek1.pch2
 Description:
A monophonic lead sound created with MMG2 on a G2X. Add vibrato with Mod wheel.

Download
 Filename:  MMG2-Skrzek1.pch2
 Downloaded:  1253 Time(s)

MMG2-99.pch2
 Description:
Polyphonic. Rather harsh strings.

Download
 Filename:  MMG2-99.pch2
 Downloaded:  1265 Time(s)

Last edited by FlowerP on Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Exclamation Wow Exclamation

What an entrance, welcome

FlowerP

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have recorded a rather sloppy demo of some MMG2 patches. I also recorded an even sloppier demo of MMG2 with some live tweaking. Since I have a G2 Engine, the tweaking was made via 7 MIDI sliders on my controller keyboard. This put a limit on the number of parameters I could access. Using a G2 keyboard or a MIDI controller with more knobs/sliders will of course allow more limitless tweaking.

Finally, a suggestion for those who don't own a G2 yet. MMG2 will happily run on Clavia's G2 Demo software, albeit in monophonic mode. Since quite a few of my MMG2 patches are monophonic anyway, this is a minor limitation. Think of this as a free monophonic Memorymoog!
dorremifasol

Audio files: 7
G2 patch files: 49

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thank you very much FlowerP for the sounds! Smile
Saskia

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wow! Those are some really great sounds - and what great taste you have Smile I love Yes and UK so it was nice to hear you try your hand at a few wellknown Wakeman/Jobson solos in the demo. It brought a smile to my face.
iPassenger

Audio files: 5
G2 patch files: 78

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Very nice.
davep

Audio files: 10

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Welcome, and well done! At first I was wondering why you used sequencers instead of clocked random modules to generate the quasi-random pitch fluctuations for making the oscs sound more analog but then I realized that the sequencers consume less DSP than the random module, and the difference was juuuuust enough to keep the DSP usage below 50% and keep the polyphony high. Quite clever!
3phase

Audio files: 13
G2 patch files: 141

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i combined a few of the patches by copying them to variations with the parameter copy..and stacked them in a performance as somkind of fat synth organ

mmg2 combo2.prf2
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  mmg2 combo2.prf2
 Filesize:  21.37 KB
 Downloaded:  1737 Time(s)

cappy2112

Audio files: 2
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: MMG2

FlowerP wrote:

I'm already working on a similar emulation project for Oberheim Matrix-6. It is not quite finished yet, but it will hopefully be during 2007.

I'm interested in seeing how you implement the tracking generators of the Matrix6 on the G2. I've got an Xpander which also has tracking generators. They can do such wacky things to a patch. At times they can be amazing- other times they drive you nuts Smile

It's really a shame there wasn't more CPU left to get either more track generators or be able to modulate the sources or amounts for the inputs to the track generators. Can you image that????

There's only so much you can squeeze out of a 1.89MHZ 6809 but Marcus Ryle & company really mastered it quite well.
FlowerP

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:48 am    Post subject: Re: MMG2

cappy2112 wrote:
FlowerP wrote:

I'm already working on a similar emulation project for Oberheim Matrix-6. It is not quite finished yet, but it will hopefully be during 2007.

I'm interested in seeing how you implement the tracking generators of the Matrix6 on the G2.

My implementation of MatrixG2 isn't quite finished yet. Right now (and probably also when publicly announced) it comes in two versions. There is a sparse version that keeps patch load under 50 % in order to maximize the number of available voices. This version omits sawtooth-triangle waveshaping, filter fm and the tracking generator. The other version includes those facilities at the cost of patch load >70 % and thus half the number of voices. Both versions omit ramp generator 2 and oscillator sync modes 1 and 2. More important, none of the versions implement a true modulation matrix. Due to patch complexity and patch load considerations I have hard wired the (IMO) most important modulations.

cappy2112 wrote:
It's really a shame there wasn't more CPU left to get either more track generators or be able to modulate the sources or amounts for the inputs to the track generators. Can you image that????

There's only so much you can squeeze out of a 1.89MHZ 6809 but Marcus Ryle & company really mastered it quite well.

Yes, I agree. For its time, the Matrix-6 was an extremely capable synth at an affordable price. Some aspects of the Matrix-6 sound are very hard to emulate on more modern synths.
FlowerP

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

davep wrote:
Welcome, and well done! At first I was wondering why you used sequencers instead of clocked random modules to generate the quasi-random pitch fluctuations for making the oscs sound more analog but then I realized that the sequencers consume less DSP than the random module, and the difference was juuuuust enough to keep the DSP usage below 50% and keep the polyphony high. Quite clever!

My choice of modules for "pseudo-analogue" detuning is quite intentional. MMG2 has evolved through many stages. I tried using clocked random modules, but didn't think they added anything desirable to the sound. By observing G2 oscillator waveforms on oscilloscope, I get the impression that the oscillators by themself have a very slight pitch drift.

In monophonic patches I want the oscillator detuning to be predictable. Note that the sequencer modules have random settings except for stage 1, which is set to 0 in all sequencers. Thus a monophonic patch will always sound as originally programmed. To add some "analogueness" the keyboard tracking of oscillator 2 and 3 is not quite 100 %.

Polyphonic patches, on the other hand, gain from a slight detuning between voices. Due to patch load reasons the voice detuning sequencer for oscillator 3 also controls filter frequency. If you turn the oscillators off, enable noise, set noise level to 1, increase filter resonance to 100, disable filter envelope and tune filter frequency to the audible frequency range, you can hear how the voices in a polyphonic patch have different filter frequency. The detuning amount was modelled after my own, not recently calibrated, Memorymoog.
Page 1 of 1 [16 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » G2 Patches - Completed » Classic
Jump to: