electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Online Music » mix/remix
Gothboys' "Something Wicked" remix
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Gothboy

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:28 am    Post subject: Gothboys' "Something Wicked" remix Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This is a mini remix of one of my songs, "Something wicked" that I'm entering in a song contest for 112 db, the makers of the new softsampler called Morgana. It clocks in at just under 2 minutes as one of the requirements of the contest was the submissions had to be under 2 minutes in length and it's about 16 instances of Morgana. My idea was to fit the original elements of the song into that 2 minutes.....so yes, it's short and it flies by pretty quick but I think that's good in a way as the listener is never bored.
So the scoop on this is that it was done with Luna using a beta of Morgana as the only VSTi instrument.....and let me tell you it was both a labor of love and a struggle that required blood and tears on my part! I literally bent Morgana to my will. Twisted Evil The number of times Morgana crashed both Luna and my computer I can't tell you. The guys over at 112db are doing a super job with Morgana but for some reason it doesn't like Luna or vise versa.
I did a lot of sampling into Morgana for this track. I sampled my Nordlead 2, my stratocaster, voice and even my dishwasher! The LFO'd sound behind the melody at the intro is my dishwasher and the bassline is my Nordlead 2. The guitar parts ended up with a gimy, velveteen quality that I rahter like.....the sound could be a synth or a guitar...it's kind of ambiquous but I like that in sound design. Very Happy I also used a few samples I had on my computer and only one effect plug....a Kjerhaus classic delay.
The remix itself is very Darkwave/Industrial rock a la NIN but with a dance feel to it. It could even be used as an advertisement for Morgana...or a car commercial! Rolling Eyes I'm still looking for a vocalist so I can finish the original track and I'll probably do an extended version of this remix using other instruments. Hope you like it. Wink

Something Wicked(mini remix).mp3
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Something Wicked(mini remix).mp3
 Filesize:  1.76 MB
 Downloaded:  1068 Time(s)

Novation SL49/Remote Zero
Mophox4, Nord Lead 2, Roland System 1, Novation Nova, Nord Micro modular, Korg Radias, Roland d-05, Yamaha A3000 sampler, Novation SL MK2 and Remote Zero controllers, Arturia Beatstep and SparkLE

"We are the music makers and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Dymaxion Vehicle Music at www.dymaxionvehicle.com/

Last edited by Gothboy on Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:45 am; edited 1 time in total
Gothboy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Is there some reason why I can download the song file but I can't just play the song? Confused Is it just my computer doing this or is there a server problem?
Mophox4, Nord Lead 2, Roland System 1, Novation Nova, Nord Micro modular, Korg Radias, Roland d-05, Yamaha A3000 sampler, Novation SL MK2 and Remote Zero controllers, Arturia Beatstep and SparkLE

blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Is a bit of a hard question to answer in general, what computer / os / browser / installed player ?

Nice track !

Gothboy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks BH! ......for online use I use an hp media center pc 873n, it's an Intel Pentium 4 2.53GHz. PC with 1GB RAM. Running Windows XP service pack 2. For players I have both quicktime and windows. Clicking once on posted sound files like this one usually brings up a window with a quicktime player in it, then the file starts playing.....but for some reason I only get the window showing there's a download and then a "Done" in the lower left corner but no file. Like I said I can download the file to my desktop but I already have it(...being the one who produced it). What I want to do is be able to copy and paste the link to the file only.
Are you able to play the file on your end without a download?

blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have a quicktime player installed as well (a pretty old one), I'm using firefox under windows XP and your file opens without a download in an embedded quick time player here, as nearly always. Nearly, as on some sites I do have the same problem as you are having. It's something I see since I upgraded to firefox 2, but that might be a coincidence of course.
Gothboy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hummmm......OK so it's working on your end....so there's something wrong on this computer, though I don't know what or why. Confused I can't remember any upgrades to service pack 2 and I even did a re-install of Quicktime. Still no go. I'll figure this out somehow. Thanks Jan.

gravehill

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just listened to the piece. It's a bit hard to say anything about the remix without comparing it to the original. Lots of mixing trickery. It has a bit too chaotic overall feel to it, IMHO of course, but I could imagine fans of NIN and such liking this a lot. Personally I would have simplified the rhythm section a bit and trying to make more room for the other stuff. Now all the sounds seem to have a very full frequency content which creates the effect that they are fighting for attention amongst themselves.

Hmm, I think I'll need to check out Morgana. Have you tried offering this to them as an advertizement piece for their product?

http://www.chaosresearch.de
Gothboy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, I have. It's been submitted to them......they loved it. I'm not sure what they'll do with it though. Smile
Thanks for the listen and comments. Yeah, it's a bit full at around 16 instances of the sampler....but it had to be under 2 minutes and I wanted it to slamm pretty good. Wink

Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Online Music » mix/remix
Jump to: