electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Controlling Waldorf XT or Blofeld with a Nord G2
Page 3 of 3 [56 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

dasz, have you tried Sunrizer synth on an iPhone or iPad? I think you'd love it! Smile

(But don't sell the Blofeld!!)

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
iPassenger

Audio files: 5
G2 patch files: 78

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:

(But don't sell the Blofeld!!)

Agreed, I am proper falling in love with my blofeld.. the custom wavetables, FMing everything and the weird filters and drive models make for some crazy sounds. I know i could do a lot of this in the Nord but I don't cos of the wiring needed and pre-planning, the blofeld can do it quickly.. For big ambient noise scapes, ryhthmical weird-ness and more standard VA duties, the Nord is king but for a lot of other weird, modern digital noises I think I will be using my little black german buddy.

As a VA I am not 100% (which spoils a lot of the presets as they seem to focus on standard VA sounds, using standard osc shapes) but as wavetable I like it.. multi mode seems great and easy to use too. It would never scare my Nord out of the studio (I think a G3 is the only thing that could) but it is a grand companion.

The thing I missed the most on the blo when I first started using it was some way to sequence value changes on the wavetables, filters, distortions etc.. like is so easy to setup on the Nord.. Thankfully though using the Octatrack as a control sequencer has really opened up the crazy little machine.

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

There's an editor available on the iPad too, for the Blofeld.

http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/iblofeld/id417628109?mt=8

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
dasz

Audio files: 29
G2 patch files: 56

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I tried the sunrizer ... not bad, but not jawdropping either ... the filters are nice though ...

I'm not thinking of letting go of the Blofeld, but it's the custom wavetable shaping things that I have been exploring in the G2 that have gotten my juices going, something that the blofeld can do to an extent ... i'm getting some meaner and more present open oscillator sounds from the nord than the blofeld (even when I trash the blofeld waves with OD) ...

and then when the nord osc's are sent through the analog filter of the dark energy -- takes me back to the days of my ESQ1 but way more extreme ...

but i agree the blofeld needs more attention from me (in general) ... btw, I just sold my machinedrum (which wasn't getting used since I have been using the octatrack) and now there is more room in the studio for other gear such as the blofeld ...

ps.: I prefer the Midi Touch editor for any MIDI remote contol, way more flexible and user friendly that iBlofeld (or anything else from ControlMIDI)
iPassenger

Audio files: 5
G2 patch files: 78

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

dasz wrote:

I'm not thinking of letting go of the Blofeld, but it's the custom wavetable shaping things that I have been exploring in the G2 that have gotten my juices going, something that the blofeld can do to an extent ... i'm getting some meaner and more present open oscillator sounds from the nord than the blofeld (even when I trash the blofeld waves with OD) ...

I know what your saying the Nord can do some extreme shaping using the ctrseq, i find it easier to use in this way if I limit the length of the seq to say 5 or 7 or 9 steps.. 16 is just a bit too fiddly to set up.

Maybe i should try running the bloey through a nord wave shaper? hmm.. interesting.

I can understand why you sold the MDUW, I wondered the same for a while when I first got the Octa. Keeping mine though I find it more immediate and I like the internal synth models but there is certainly some overlap and if the Octa was 16 track it would have been harder to justify keeping the MD.

dasz

Audio files: 29
G2 patch files: 56

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ross,

Now you're talking! Nord is ver good at wave-bending indeed... The 4 analo out allow lots of room for patching external sources.

I don't regret selling the md. I didn't really get into their drum models in the md, because I have done so much modular drum synthesis with the Nord. Using fixed models was frustrating.

Having an OT means I can use sampled drums if j have to and bend them as samples... Each OT midi sequencer track can play up to four notes, meaning rich poly rhythms can be done on each midi track. not to mention the arp and variable pattern length per track ...
Page 3 of 3 [56 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Jump to: