electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Discussion » Composition
Algorithmic Sofware for Newbies
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
ChamomileShark

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:21 pm    Post subject: Algorithmic Sofware for Newbies Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi, hope this is in the right place. I'm interested in starting some algorithmic music projects, apart from experimentation for my own interest, I need to be able to create long (6omins) gentle, non intrusive pieces for use by therapists.

I've seen reviews of Artwonk and downloaded a demo but it seems too complicated for me. I demo'd Wheel of Fortune but that seems a bit limited. I tried Fractal TuneSmithy and then took the midi files and that seems promising but I ran out of demo time as I've been ill.

Anyone have recommendations for someone starting in this area, or comments on TuneSmithy?

Many thanks

dewdrop_world

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Whew... That's a tall order... something that's powerful but not too complicated to use, flexible without overwhelming you with options, easy to use without being too restricted in scope.

I do algorithmic composition in SuperCollider... but let me say before going further that SuperCollider is not a gentle introduction to AC. It's a build it yourself programming language and the learning curve is steep. I've been at it for almost five years and I love it, but I'd be the first to say that if you want to start turning out tracks quickly, it is not the tool you want.

My feeling is that some of my compositional "personality" finds its way into my algorithms and the resulting music somehow reflects "me" even if I'm not making an explicit decision about every note. I'm not sure that this would happen if I were using somebody else's algorithms. But maybe you don't need to think about that at this stage of just getting started.

Sorry I don't have specific comments on the other software... I'm very much a DIY person on this score.

James

lebenspuls

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:43 am    Post subject: Algorithmic Sofware for Newbies Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Perhaps Artsong could be a possibility for you:

http://www.artsong.org/

Pieter
jksuperstar

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 18

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

keykit has some very powerful algorithmic generation. It's probably a few steps up from SC, though can be equally powerful, since you can program at the lowest levels as well. THere are tutorials that show exactly how to do a few things, using the Expresso tool, for example.

www.nosuch.com
ChamomileShark

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks but these look way too complicated for me! Think I'll just continue with TuneSmithy.
cbm

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

While it is probably too complicated for the casual use you mention, Max/MSP is often considered to be the "gold standard" for this sort of thing. It has a greater than 20 year year history of use for algorithmic composition, and is one of the best supported environments out there.
bschiett

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: Algorithmic Sofware for Newbies Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ChamomileShark wrote:
Hi, hope this is in the right place. I'm interested in starting some algorithmic music projects, apart from experimentation for my own interest, I need to be able to create long (6omins) gentle, non intrusive pieces for use by therapists.

I've seen reviews of Artwonk and downloaded a demo but it seems too complicated for me. I demo'd Wheel of Fortune but that seems a bit limited. I tried Fractal TuneSmithy and then took the midi files and that seems promising but I ran out of demo time as I've been ill.

Anyone have recommendations for someone starting in this area, or comments on TuneSmithy?

Many thanks

You might be interested in AudioCubes and its free Improvisor algorithmic composition software. Check out http://land.percussa.com/audiocubes-improvisor/ and see below for a video (you can use any instrument you want via MIDI, not just a piano)

Improvisor is a very simple piece of software where each cube can be linked to a note pattern, which can then be played back at any speed you want, and when the cubes are put next to each other the patterns will interact, generating completely new patterns. You could set up very slow note patterns and play them back on synths which have pad or string sounds loaded. SInce you are using your own patterns to improvise with algorithmically, it will sound like your music while being algorithmic in nature.

AudioCubes are already being used by therapists, for example see http://www.percussa.com/2011/05/26/phd-student-samantha-is-using-audiocubes-for-her-research/

percussa mSSP - digital modular in a eurorack module - 8 in/4 out @ 48/96/192khz DC coupled - 25+ DSP modules https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/percussa/percussa-micro-super-signal-processor-eurorack-mod
robsol
Stream Operator

Audio files: 495

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Is it really neccesary to post what is essentially the same answer to multiple, old threads?
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Discussion » Composition
Jump to: