electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » News... » Apple Computers
Leopard - Release 26th October
Page 1 of 2 [37 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
BobTheDog

Audio files: 32
G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:16 am    Post subject: Leopard - Release 26th October Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well here it comes...
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

YES!!

I've bin a waiting for this time to come Very Happy

(not for the bin of course!! Shocked )

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

AND- while you are all waiting....

here's a rather excellent little browser I've just found;

http://shiira.jp/en.php

It's written in Cocoa! hooray!!

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
BobTheDog

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ill have a look at that browser, Safari and Firefox drive me a bit mad.

I put in the order for the MacBook pro today as well, I went for the 17" with the hi res screen, 4GB ram and the 7.2K disk.

I am gradually turning appleish

Andy
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

BobTheDog wrote:

I am gradually turning appleish

WHAT?!?

COOL! Very Happy

So what do you think has made you like them?

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

BobTheDog wrote:
Safari and Firefox drive me a bit mad.

Firefox won't work with Apple Services (cos it's not written in cocoa)- which drives me nuts because I can't use it to research properly. (I use something called Notebook while doing research, which is awesome).

Safari is just a bit lame.

The 17 incher sounds very nice.

elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cool. I´ve already preordered the 10.5s and some 10.5 server packs. Nice!

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
BobTheDog

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Things I like.

1. Logic (I like this a lot, especially the new version)

2. Core audio performs better than asio allowing very low latency.

3. My audio software is more reliable on OSX than on XP.

4. OSX startup speed.

5. How silent and well built my MacPro is.

6. VMWare now working on OSX so I can have an XP virtual machine with 4GB ram and two processors which I use for work, parallels never quite did the job for me.

Things I don't like:

1. Safari and Firefox.

2. Finder and Spotlight.

3. Higher cpu usage for apps compared to xp.

4. Only one menu (But I do use dejavu to get around this)

Cheers

Andy
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Leopard is nice. I´m sure you´ll like many of the new Finder features. The new Spaces thingie is useful.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Interesting about VMware. I use this too. It's really excellent- better I think, than Parallels. As for Logic, now I'm in a dillemma because I want 10.5 but I also want my Logic 8 upgrade Evil or Very Mad

I've just bought Aperture- which is really nice too. The only thing I really miss on Mac are decent engineering applications- especially CAD, which is all PC based afaik.

BobTheDog

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:
Interesting about VMware. I use this too. It's really excellent- better I think, than Parallels. As for Logic, now I'm in a dillemma because I want 10.5 but I also want my Logic 8 upgrade Evil or Very Mad

I've just bought Aperture- which is really nice too. The only thing I really miss on Mac are decent engineering applications- especially CAD, which is all PC based afaik.

Logic Studio has got to be the best upgrade I have ever paid for, very impressive. You would not be dissapointed if you went for it.

Andy
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:

http://www.nemetschek.net

Question

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:

http://www.nemetschek.net

Question

Yes Vectorworks. It's good, but better suited to architecture imo. Concepts Unlimited is probably the ultimate 3D engineering/ surface modelling application, and there's even Blender which is free- but better suited to rendering- which it does incredibly well. Google Sketch-up is also very good, extremely good in fact. But these CAD apps have really steep learning curves (apart from Sketch-up, which is piss easy to learn) and I've got really used to Solidworks which is now quite easy to use. I'll probably dump Solidworks in the end and return to pencil and paper! Laughing Take my word for it- paper and pen is still the Daddy!! Laughing

Actually, it's still 2D which is boss- no matter what 'they' tell you. AutoCAD is still the industry standard and really hate that. Try drawing a isometric spring in a hurry in AutoCAD, and you'll soon be reaching for the bottle!!

Apple needs their own dynamite CAD app. I wonder who they'll 'pick off'??

elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

UGS NX5 is incoming. That one will probably be pretty decent. Wink

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:
UGS NX5 is incoming. That one will probably be pretty decent. Wink

It bloody well should be (decent). NX5 costs $22,000 Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

It would be great if Apple bought UGS, but as they (UGS) are part of Siemens I see that highly unlikely.

There was a blip in recent history when Solidworks introduced e-Drawings for Mac (which works very well btw), but there has been nothing since then Sad

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I should point out that virtually all of Apple's range of fabulous Industrial Design has come out of UGS's Unigraphics/ NX and it is also rumoured that NX4 for OSX was commissioned by Apple also.
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:
...and it is also rumoured that NX4 for OSX was commissioned by Apple also.

Yup, that´s the story. What do you think? Will Apple do yet another Final Squirt and wrap UGS NX5 up in an i3D Studio for 999,- USD ?

We are yet to see how the low price of the most excellent Logic Studio will affect the market. One thing is certain, getting a full featured pro DAW app for less than any of the ultrabudget Roland and Korg synths will affect the market in some way or another.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:

We are yet to see how the low price of the most excellent Logic Studio will affect the market. One thing is certain, getting a full featured pro DAW app for less than any of the ultrabudget Roland and Korg synths will affect the market in some way or another.

we can only hope Very Happy

It's interesting to see that the drop in price of the iPhone has caused ripples in the price of things like Palm smartphones- which have really dropped in price recently too.

UGS for $999? oh yes please Cool

but somehow I don't see it happening- which is a real shame. I also think that Apple's industrial design team has been getting rather stale in recent years.

btw, there is rumour going round of an imminent release of a brand new Newton PDA. Asus have already bought out a tiny new laptop- I think this is the way things are going.

EdisonRex
Site Admin

Audio files: 172

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

One wonders how much software (Max/MSP, DP, etc) will break.

I think I shall wait to find out.

Home,My Studio,and another view
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

EdisonRex wrote:

Personally I don't think anything at all will happen. I also think that people will also realise that you will need an Intel Mac and all the peripherals which come with it also. So it won't look like that much of a bargain after all.

EdisonRex
Site Admin

Audio files: 172

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:
EdisonRex wrote:

Personally I don't think anything at all will happen. I also think that people will also realise that you will need an Intel Mac and all the peripherals which come with it also. So it won't look like that much of a bargain after all.

Meh. Applecare bought me an Intel Mac, since my Powermac died on contract. I had to pony up the peripherals. So, my cost.

If Leopard wants Intel, I can deal with it. my wife will be annoyed until I but her a macbook for christmas.

Home,My Studio,and another view
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

BTW.. any of you guys have an intelmac with an ATI 1900 graphics card? I think I need something better than the stock 7300.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
BobTheDog

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:
BTW.. any of you guys have an intelmac with an ATI 1900 graphics card? I think I need something better than the stock 7300.

Hi,

I got the 1900 and stuck it in my MacPro and after a couple of weeks took it out again and put the 7300 back in.

The 1900 is very noisy and performed worse in the quartz benchmark than the 7300! Also for OpenGL the performance was about the same.

In XP though the 1900 performed really well but to be honest I couldn't stand the noise it made, it just was not worth putting up with the bloody awfull fan noise just to play the odd game.

You can get a different fan for the 1900 and from what I have heard its makes it near silent, I can find out the name if you would like.

Cheers

Andy
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OK, I found some stuff on the web re the fan and alternatives. Seems there is a cooling system mentioned at the Archintosh site. It takes up yet another slot though because the coling assembly sticks out form the ATI board. Uncool!

Did you use an Apple branded 1900 or the ATI 1900? For some reason the Apple 1900 is possible not that noisy? If you have the ATI 1900 then there is a workaround for using the G5 only software control panel with the 1900.

Noise is a problem of course and I simply cannot lose another PCI slot. I´m using all the other slots for the UAD-1e cards.

BTW: I think there is a firmware update out for the Apple ATI 1900.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This might be of interest:
http://www.macrumors.com/2007/10/17/leopard-under-the-hood-and-requirements-analysis/

Quote:
Leopard has seen many enhancements that many users may not be immediately aware of. AutoFS claims to multi-thread the practice of mounting and dismounting network filesystems, which should virtually eliminate the spinning beach ball network users may have become familiar with. Leopard will also include various security enhancements aimed at tracking applications (including potential malware), including application signing similar to what Microsoft has done in Windows.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Page 1 of 2 [37 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » News... » Apple Computers
Jump to: