electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Sequencers
Hardware v.s. Software Sequencer
Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
ar2jr

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 1:08 am    Post subject: Hardware v.s. Software Sequencer
Subject description: When 1 really is 1 ...
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Basically I am at this point pretty fed up with the timing of software sequencers. Call me anal-retentive all you want, but I am basically looking for an alternative to Logic Studio in terms of MIDI master sequencer. I do most of my work via step sequencers and will continue to do so, but I am looking for something that can act as the master clock and that has rock solid timing, as well as feel. I've narrowed my choice down to an Akai ASQ 10 which looks to do exactly what I am looking for.

What I want to know is what are other people's experiences with hardware sequencers.
Does anyone still use a hardware sequencer in tandem with a DAW?
Also, does anyone have any suggestions in terms of interfacing a hardware sequencer with a USB midi router and a DAW?

Any and all feedback is much appreciated.

-matia
Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Why not a Atari running Cubase? It'll outperform many hardware sequencers for MIDI tightness and assuming you can acquire a old copy of Cubase they are nearly free. If you want the very best in MIDI tightness that's it.
ar2jr

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

what exactly would you need to set up such a rig and to synch Logic (for audio recording to it). What kind of a midi interface is supported on Atari's?

Thanks for the feedback.

-matia
Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ah, that's the trick; the Atari's come with MIDI in&out ports build in; straight on the mother board, this is *THE* factor in how tight MIDI on them is.

What you need;

A Atari (a 1040ST is a popular choice).

A mouse for it (a Amiga mouse will do as well, it's the same port)
A copy of Cubase for it.
(the two tend to come with Atari's it musician circles)
This will cost you between 0 and 25 bucks.

Some flopies to save MIDI files on, some tape to put over the "HD" holes.

A computer monitor (you likely have a spare one around anyway).

With a 1040ST the keyboard is a part of the computer already, the OS is build in (and boots before your monitor has warmed up).

Erm, that's about it. I'd sync Logic to Cubase and not the other way around as the Atari is likely tighter, there is really no way to beat a MIDI port that's straight on the mother board and controlled by a non-multitasking OS.

If you'd prefer hardware I think the Yamaha RM1X and RS7000 are popular sequencers right now.

ar2jr

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

not really into the rm1x or the rs. I use my ESX 1 and machinedrum as well as the nord modular for that kind of sequencing. I guess I'm looking for something closer to an akai or logic just with rock solid timing.

The other question is, since logic has now removed support for midi clock, will the atari send out midi time code?

One other question, I have an AMT8, how exactly would I send out all the atari's midi info and distribute via the amt with minimal lag. I suppose if logic is getting clocked then it shouldn't kill the processor to distribute the info but i wonder if usb and midi downfalls would add latency. hmmm ...

perhaps if this doesn't work then an mpc (like the 2000xl) will suffice.

Or maybe I should just relegate these plans for another season and just calculate out all of the latency from logic and compensate for it ... (shudder...i just want to make music dammit!)

Thanks again for all the info. This is really informative.

-matia
Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Sequencers
Jump to: