electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Difference in sound between Modular and G2?
Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Outro

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 11:36 am    Post subject: Difference in sound between Modular and G2? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello Modular Users!

I know that the sound of the original Modular could be compared to the Nord Lead series. You could actually build up a exact modular copy of the Nord Lead.
Now, i have read about that some modules are missing in the G2 from the original Modular. Does this differences affect sound in any way? Is it possible to sound just like the original modular with the G2?

Does the G2`s OSC/Filters/LFO/Envelopes sound more like a Nord Lead 3 then Nord Lead 2?

What is the difference? Confused Sad Surprised
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Good question!
Very Happy

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

welcome Outro for the forum. Glad to have you here.

I don't have much to offer since I've never even played any Nord Lead products. The G2 has a faster sampling rate and greated bit depth than the NM classic so it sounds a little different. But I'm not sure it's possible to talk meaningfully about the sounds of the NM products. They sound different depending on how they are patched.

It occurs to me that in this way, these new insturments are different than some of the older ones. People say they know what a MiniMoog sounds like. or a Roland Juno or something. Maybe... But a G2 has no characteristic sound.

As for the G2 not having some of the modules that were in the NM classic, that is true, there are some. However, most of the missing ones aren't really missed as there are better ways to get the same effect in the G2. One missiing module that is missed is the fixed filter bank, sometimes called a formant filter. We are hopeful it will come back to life in a new software release.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Tim Kleinert

Audio files: 7
G2 patch files: 236

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

IMO, there is such a thing as the "Clavia" sound, which is punchy and high-end, but maybe not exactly "warm". The G2 has this too, like the NLs did.

I personally think that the G2 has a superior sound to the NL3, which I use and tweak regularly (love that UI!). I encounter aliasing artefacts far quicker on the NL3 than on the G2, therefore I suspect that in the NL3 the different osc and filter configurations are performance-optimized, meaning that they not always use the full calculation depth and clocking.

The G2 is the best sounding Clavia synth, IMO.
realtrance

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Aliasing artifacts are totally cool. Evil or Very Mad
egw
Stream Operator

Audio files: 18
G2 patch files: 8

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

realtrance wrote:
Aliasing artifacts are totally cool. Evil or Very Mad

How about a patch that isolates aliasing and does something interesting with it?
3phase

Audio files: 13
G2 patch files: 141

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: Difference in sound between Modular and G2? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Outro wrote:
Is it possible to sound just like the original modular with the G2?

Hello,
I am porting my important NM patches to the G2 wright now (1-2 hours each). With the new RND modules i was able to port any patch sofar...
I havent come along one that is using the fixed filterbank sofar...to convert such would be more difficult but deffenetly possible aswell.
The G2 sounds different but similar. Some of the converted patches sound better on the G2...others dont..
In general the G2 sounds a bit warmer and rounder, softer, better lowend...i would say better...
The NM 1 has a bit rougher charracteristics that suits certain sounds well.
Booth together blend very nice...so i might get a NM1 again one day
regards
Sven
modular

Audio files: 5
G2 patch files: 72

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: Difference in sound between Modular and G2? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

3phase wrote:
Outro wrote:
Is it possible to sound just like the original modular with the G2?

Hello,
I am porting my important NM patches to the G2 wright now (1-2 hours each).

shall you like share you converted NM1--->G2 patches with us? Embarassed

I was trying to do the same with the huge NM1 patches archive but i'n little confused with adapting different modules in the visual editor between NM1 and G2, Crying or Very sad i don't know better what an old module is like the new one in the G2 editor so which is your fast method for convert old patches?
3phase

Audio files: 13
G2 patch files: 141

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Difference in sound between Modular and G2? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

[quote="modular"][quote="3phase"]
Outro wrote:
Ishall you like share you converted NM1--->G2 patches with us? Embarassed

I was trying to do the same with the huge NM1 patches archive but i'n little confused with adapting different modules in the visual editor between NM1 and G2, Crying or Very sad i don't know better what an old module is like the new one in the G2 editor so which is your fast method for convert old patches?

I will post some on the list in a little while...i ve to finetweak the converted ones first...and most of them are very privat...where the patch is half a track...its not very wise to make such patches public domain...especially when the tracks are not released yet.
You might end with the immage using other peoples sounds.
Or even worse...

In the moment i just copy them one to one...sometimes i overpatch something that dont exists in the G2... like retrigger inputs on the envelopes...Rob Hordik helped me there...
I give all parameters the same settings as in the NM...what leads in most of the cases to the same results...but not in all...so i will have to do another round of finetuning...
Maybe it would be good to collect some info how the modules match with the G2...there is still some research to do...
For example the coloured button on the old random modules...
Now you have a step percentage that is probably the same with more possible settings...for now i just was setting the percentage to 50% when i came along a coloured setting... i havent checked if this is accurat yet..
maybe its 75%? i will know more about this soon.

In the end its to much good sounds to be converted by hand... i only do that to my favorites when i ve time...or wait for a train...most of the work can be done without the machines connected...its a bit like a puzzle
Afro88

Audio files: 12
G2 patch files: 79

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

shoshin wrote:
IMO, there is such a thing as the "Clavia" sound, which is punchy and high-end, but maybe not exactly "warm". The G2 has this too, like the NLs did.

I agree. Most patches that I've played/created sound very "nord". While each patch has it's own character (some much more so than others), it still sounds like a nord. Which is a good thing IMO - more than a month after buying an engine and I still believe the G2 is the best sounding digital synth I've ever played.

shoshin wrote:
I personally think that the G2 has a superior sound to the NL3, which I use and tweak regularly (love that UI!). I encounter aliasing artefacts far quicker on the NL3 than on the G2, therefore I suspect that in the NL3 the different osc and filter configurations are performance-optimized, meaning that they not always use the full calculation depth and clocking.

The only part that can't be recreated (without much copying and pasting, bussing and routing) is the unison mode! If there were some way to do this I'd be very happy.
Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Jump to: