electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Jürgen Haible designs
Variable Slope Filter / Phaser
Page 1 of 8 [181 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2, 3, ..., 6, 7, 8 Next

interested?
yes
88%
 88%  [ 38 ]
no
11%
 11%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 43

jhaible

Audio files: 24

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:30 am    Post subject: Variable Slope Filter / Phaser
Subject description: Interested?
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

A mean little module from my JH-3 Modular.

6 filter poles, realzed with OTAs and combined FET / Bipolar buffer stages.

Variable Slope function for 6-pole VC LPF.
Voltage controlled Pole Spread for Phaser mode.
Zeroes switcahbel in pairs, i.e. a lot of combinations of all pass and low pass stages. Positive and negative feedback. Positive and negative wet/dry mix. Rather special overdrive behaviour (Dirty!), and (IMO) pleasant way of breaking into oscillation.

JH.

jh3_varislope_phaser.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  649.56 KB
 Viewed:  1161 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

jh3_varislope_phaser.jpg

"I tell you the truth, if anyone says to this mountain, 'Go, throw yourself into the sea,' and does not doubt in his heart but believes that what he says will happen, it will be done for him. Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours." (Mk 11,23f)
jhaible

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:53 am    Post subject: Demo Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Arpeggio from OB-8, with delay and reverb.

First few seconds dry - then playing with phaser.

JH.

variable_slope_phaser_arpegg.mp3
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  variable_slope_phaser_arpegg.mp3
 Filesize:  13.75 MB
 Downloaded:  6085 Time(s)

"I tell you the truth, if anyone says to this mountain, 'Go, throw yourself into the sea,' and does not doubt in his heart but believes that what he says will happen, it will be done for him. Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours." (Mk 11,23f)
b-funk

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Jürgen!

You are crazy!!! This sounds fantastic (and also reminds me that I still have a broken OB-8 standing around collecting dust Embarassed )...

Go for it.

Best wishes,

Tobias.
jhaible

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 2:18 pm    Post subject: another demo Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This is something I recorded a few years ago. I don't remember all the details. But it was a Split on the OB-8, bass sound on left hand and organ sound on right hand, and the whole thing was processed with the Variable Slope Phaser / Filter to get that "pulsating" sound.
(Lots of delay and reverb as well, obviously.)

JH.

oct_06_zwischenstand_edit.mp3
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  oct_06_zwischenstand_edit.mp3
 Filesize:  8.94 MB
 Downloaded:  3957 Time(s)

Luka

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hell yes
sounds awesome

http://www.last.fm/user/prblmchild
Funky40

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 5

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The Demo sounds very good, but to be honest:

filters and phasers are the least i need for now,
and i might be not the only one.

what i like to see first:
__ very good VC ADSR
__ BBD
__ Vocoder

the accent is on the term "first".
mono-poly

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I wanna join.
krisp14u

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hook line and sinker I will be taking 2 me thinks Very Happy

Paul Darlow

www.krisp1.com
norman phay

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wow, that sounds great. I emailed you to put me down for 2 boards, thanks.
vtl5c3

Audio files: 13

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sounds good Juergen! Is this related to the variable slope VCF in Electronotes? IIRC, that one was also 6 poles, but it did not have feedback.

Romeo
numbertalk

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'd be in for a board!
jhaible

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

vtl5c3 wrote:
Sounds good Juergen! Is this related to the variable slope VCF in Electronotes? IIRC, that one was also 6 poles, but it did not have feedback.

Romeo

It's a combination of two ideas I found in EN.
One was a variable slope VCF, the other was a combination of LPF and Phaser. (But this has been so long ago, I don't remember the details.)

JH.

Sound

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Intrerested in one or two. Very Happy
pdub

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Very cool! I am in for one or two.

Thanks, Charles.
Electronicant

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Awesome sound.

But is yet another phaser, so why not use either the Tau phaser or the Schulte phaser as the phaser part in this project? Smile
jhaible

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Electronicant wrote:
Awesome sound.

But is yet another phaser, so why not use either the Tau phaser or the Schulte phaser as the phaser part in this project? Smile

Totally different architecture. Smile

JH.

jhaible

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This one is fun to layout!

Finished the audio part.
Lots of space left on the board.
I will include a Noise + Sample & Hold Circuit, so you get these clocked random modulations without any outboard modules. Also, an on-board power supply, so this can become a stmp box as well as a modular synth module.

JH.

Now playing: Kitaro, Silk Road

varislope_pcb_preview.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  85.86 KB
 Viewed:  53454 Time(s)

varislope_pcb_preview.jpg

jhaible

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 5:12 am    Post subject: More Features! Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just wanted to tell you my further plans for this.

The Variable Slope Filter / Phaser will get a very special on-board LFO that is derived from my JH-4 synthesizer.

Voltage controlled Rate and Depth, of course.

But there is is more:

You will be able to crossfade between waveforms with a potentiometer, or with another control voltage.

Starting from ccw end, the waveforms will be:

Triangle, fading into Sine, fading into Square, fading into Sample&Hold, fading into audio rate self-modulation.

Let me explain that choice:

Triangle fading into Sine means rounding the edges.

Square fading into S&H means rhythmic modulation with more or less randmness thrown in.

S&H fading into audio self modulation means mixing and fading two different flavors of madness. Especially with high resonance.

JH.

Funky40

G2 patch files: 5

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

sounds very good,
please incloude a LFO Out too !!
Your LFOs are anyway great, but this one seems to be very special
TekniK

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: More Features! Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

jhaible wrote:
Just wanted to tell you my further plans for this.

Voltage controlled Rate and Depth, of course.

You will be able to crossfade between waveforms with a potentiometer, or with another control voltage.

JH.

sexy
numbertalk

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Keeps sounding better and better!
vtl5c3

Audio files: 13

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That's great news about the LFO. Are you using some sort of interpolating scanner for the waveform xfading?
jhaible

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

vtl5c3 wrote:
That's great news about the LFO. Are you using some sort of interpolating scanner for the waveform xfading?

Yes. But yet another variant that allows different height, width and slope for each window, and uses only 2 transustors plus an OTA per channel. Smile

JH.

bugfight

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

sheesh, you're too productive lately, i can't keep up!

2 for my infinite queue...

dig the c.s. lewis quotes, btw. one of my fave writers since i was a kid...
jhaible

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

bugfight wrote:

dig the c.s. lewis quotes, btw. one of my fave writers since i was a kid...

I read about every book of his adult fiction and his theological work, in my twenties. Now I re-discoverd him, currently reading his collected correspondence. And I finally started reading his spiritual teacher, George MacDonald. Very heavy stuff, in beautiful Victorian English, challenging and comforting at the same time.

JH.

Page 1 of 8 [181 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2, 3, ..., 6, 7, 8 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Jürgen Haible designs
Jump to: