electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » iOS - iPad/Phone/Pod etc
Why synths on an iPhone?
Page 1 of 7 [153 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 Next
seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 2:31 pm    Post subject: Why synths on an iPhone? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

why on earth you want to play a synthesizer with an iPhone Question
would you try dialing a telephone number with a DX7 Question

[editor's note: split this off from another topic. --mosc]

Quote:
Don't die with your music still in you - Wayne Dyer
BobTheDog

Audio files: 32
G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

On the Bus, train, sofa.
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thanks for the split H. Very Happy

Carlo, "Wabi Sabi". This is all you need to know! Idea Very Happy

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

BTW, a patch was made for the Nord Modular that allowed one to dial the phone- so why not? Very Happy
IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
seraph
Editor
Editor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Wabi and sabi both suggest sentiments of desolation and solitude

exactly Rolling Eyes

would pick your nose with a sickle Question (or with a hammer Question ) Twisted Evil

Quote:
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

seraph wrote:
would pick your nose with a sickle Question (or with a hammer Question ) Twisted Evil

Not to be nitpicking .. but wouldn't it rather be like pulling a nail with a toothpick? I mean, far less harmful and maybe even fun Wink

mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The iPhone is the greatest. There are some great touch sensitive midi controllers. It's wireless of course.

But that's for another topic, and it'll be a great one. Laughing

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
There are some great touch sensitive midi controllers. It's wireless of course.

Some of these are really fun! And of course you don't need the iPhone, the Touch will do as well. I just want someone to develop a Buchla-style controller! (These usually work via wi-fi- like p2p).

elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Why synths on an iPhone? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

seraph wrote:
why on earth you want to play a synthesizer with an iPhone Question

I was wondering about the same thing.

scratch

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:
mosc wrote:
There are some great touch sensitive midi controllers. It's wireless of course.

Some of these are really fun! And of course you don't need the iPhone, the Touch will do as well.(These usually work via wi-fi- like p2p).

OK?

Some links, please? A list of good apps of that kind?

And the input from the iPhone/ iPod Touch midi controller app is picked up by a midi socket in OS X Midi core? Over wi-fi? Bluetooth?

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here's one company that has some very useful software, IMHO.

http://www.itouchmidi.com/?q=node/32

I hope to review this in the future. All communicate with your PC or MAC over the WiFi link. There are several different controller models. Here are some of the pics.

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here's another link

http://lux.vu/blog/oscemote/

mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

http://www.folabs.com/proremote.html

mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

http://hexler.net/touchosc

mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

http://recotana.com/iphone/iosc/en/index.html

mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

http://www.cmsoftwaredesigns.com/site/forums.html?option=com_content&view=article&id=49&Itemid=59

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Laughing

Go H, GO!!

Laughing

BobTheDog

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah, I posted one earlier to then notice that Howard had beaten my by 30 minutes. He is a man on a mission Smile
seraph
Editor
Editor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I don't want to sound disappointing to those enjoying their "telephones" for anything besides dialing telephone numbers but the problem remains the same: the user interface is hardly convincing for musical applications. I know, the iPhone is cool but... I have recently seen an application that simulates a guitar neck where you can (hardly) play chords Shocked does it make sense Question I don't think so. I was going to buy a synth application for my son's Nintendo DS called KORG DS-10. It looks neat but do I need it Question I don't think so. This, of course, can be said of the many things we surround ourselves with: fancy gadgetry Crying or Very sad
Is there a hidden meaning explaining the gadgetry rush Question I think so (but that's matter for another thread).

Quote:
BobTheDog

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Pretty good for a multi touch controller and cheaper than a lemur.

Must admit I like the idea of sticking one onto a guitar, it runs on battery and talks OSC over WiFi so as a small mobile controller it is pretty good.
Antimon

Audio files: 371
G2 patch files: 100

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

seraph wrote:
I don't want to sound disappointing to those enjoying their "telephones" for anything besides dialing telephone numbers but the problem remains the same: the user interface is hardly convincing for musical applications. I know, the iPhone is cool but... I have recently seen an application that simulates a guitar neck where you can (hardly) play chords Shocked does it make sense Question I don't think so. I was going to buy a synth application for my son's Nintendo DS called KORG DS-10. It looks neat but do I need it Question I don't think so. This, of course, can be said of the many things we surround ourselves with: fancy gadgetry Crying or Very sad
Is there a hidden meaning explaining the gadgetry rush Question I think so (but that's matter for another thread).

I think that multi-touch screens of all kinds are the future. Imagine a Nord Modular G2 Editor that you could manipulate directly on the screen, without having the mouse operation getting in the way. You could have the screen shrink quite a bit and this would still have benefits compared to the old way. That's just one example out of a gazillion.

A couple of years on, the mouse/keyboard way of operating computers will be viewed as the weird and clumsy stuff that people did before everything had those obvious multi-touch screens.

/Stefan

BobTheDog

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This is a nice example of MAX/MSP with the new touchscreen from the people that do the Lemur.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEkj85GU_is&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fcreatedigitalmusic%2Ecom%2F&feature=player_embedded
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

seraph wrote:
I was going to buy a synth application for my son's Nintendo DS called KORG DS-10. It looks neat but do I need it Question I don't think so.

What? Shocked You Italians are crazy!!!! Of course you need it! Laughing I've just bought a DS-10 on ebay for £25! Yes £25 notes. That's nothing is it?! Loads of FUN- and a really cool excuse to have more fun with your kids too! Idea

Check this DS-10 shit out;

here and here!! Very Happy

BobTheDog

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:
seraph wrote:
I was going to buy a synth application for my son's Nintendo DS called KORG DS-10. It looks neat but do I need it Question I don't think so.

What? Shocked You Italians are crazy!!!! Of course you need it! Laughing I've just bought a DS-10 on ebay for £25! Yes £25 notes. That's nothing is it?! Loads of FUN- and a really cool excuse to have more fun with your kids too! Idea

Check this DS-10 shit out;

here and here!! Very Happy

Ok I want one.
seraph
Editor
Editor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:

What? Shocked You Italians are crazy!!!!

no, no, it's just me Wink

Quote:
Page 1 of 7 [153 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » iOS - iPad/Phone/Pod etc
Jump to: