electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » How-tos » Production - engineering/mixing
Stopping feedback in small spaces with live mics
Page 1 of 1 [12 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
nobody

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:28 pm    Post subject: Stopping feedback in small spaces with live mics
Subject description: Can it be done?
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Is there any way to prevent feedback with a mic in a small space that has a direct line of sight to the loudspeakers? I want to use my mic (the only one I have, can't afford to buy another right now) during Spring Equinox to do some live vocoding. Unfortunately, I will be turning things up a bit, and a test just now gave off lots of feedback (thankfully I have a switch in the mic cable, so I can cut it off in half a second).

I'm not expecting there to be a way to prevent feedback from happening, but since I don't know everything, I thought I'd ask anyway.

And oh - the speakers can't be moved. Well, they can, but I would really rather not move anything large. Even if I point them away from the mic, in a small space that wouldn't matter as the sound would end up in the mic anyway.

Worst case is I record the vocoding beforehand and it simply won't be one of the live parts.
seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

what about using headphones instead of loudspeakers?

Quote:
Don't die with your music still in you - Wayne Dyer
nobody

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I want to be free to move around. Plus, I wear hearing aids, and it's a pain in the ass - let alone the ear - to keep a small pair of phones balanced over the mics of the aids. I put up with it when laying vocals, but a live show - even a radio show from my studio - would be uncomfortable and clumsy.

I have a device that let's me wirelessly input sound directly into the aids, but the power adapter died years ago and I haven't gotten around to replacing it. Getting one with the correct voltage, even a generic one from Radio Shack, is still more than I want to spend right now for something I would only use intermittently (and that might not even be why it's not working). It would be cool to see what I could do with it, though. I'll definitely need it - or a replacement for it - during a live, in-person show.

Otherwise, I'd use phones. Cool
modulator_esp
Stream Operator

Audio files: 276
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

the only way I can think of to limit feedback if you can't use headphones is to
1. position the mic so it is picking up as little sound as possible, e.g. point away from speakers, or put behind speakers
2. reduce any reflected sound as much as possible using some form of damping materials
3. eq out any resonant frequencies with a graphic eq

RF

Audio files: 28

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

4. Keep the mic gain as low as possible and 'eat' the mic.

bruce

"I want to make these sounds that go wooo-wooo-ah-woo-woo.”
(Herb Deutsch to Bob Moog ~1963)
nobody

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I might try eating the *glorb grind scrinch argh* the mic. Razz
Inventor
Stream Operator

Audio files: 267

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well I don't know if this would work, but you could try making a cardboard or plastic cone around the mic to block out sound from the opposite direction. Just a guess.

Les

BananaPlug

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here are a couple throw-technology-at-it solutions I've heard of. The first is an old idea which never really caught on. I think there are commercial products based on the second. Might be fun to experiment.

Tape a second mic to your mic, pointing the opposite direction. Then flip the phase on that mic and mix in enough of it to cancel the PA system.

Patch a frequency shifter between your mixer and the PA with as small a shift as it can manage. The idea is that the shift is not noticeable but feedback can't build because it slides away from the resonant frequency.
nobody

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Les, the cone would have to be sticking out of the back of my head, because the speakers are right behind me. It would be a variation of this: http://www.geeksugar.com/Totally-Geeky-Completely-Crazy-Privacy-Scarf-190643

That image never fails to crack me up.

Banana, I like the freq shifter idea. I only wish I could afford to go and get one (a hardware unit) to try it. I think it would be useful for other things, too!
BananaPlug

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

audiodef wrote:
Banana, I like the freq shifter idea. I only wish I could afford to go and get one (a hardware unit) to try it. I think it would be useful for other things, too!

Get one of these and do it in stereo!
EdisonRex
Site Admin

Audio files: 172

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

http://www.studiospares.com/Mic-Accessories/SE-Electronics-Instrument-Reflexion-Filter/invt/422160

Home,My Studio,and another view
telstarmagikistferrari

Audio files: 43

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ER that's exactly what I pictured when I read the title of this thread.
Page 1 of 1 [12 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » How-tos » Production - engineering/mixing
Jump to: