electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » How-tos
Essential Classics
Page 1 of 1 [16 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 12:55 pm    Post subject: Essential Classics Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

http://www.essentialsofmusic.com/
Whether you're a casual listener or a serious music student, here's the site for basic information about classical music. Created in cooperation with W.W. Norton & Company, it's built around Essential Classics, the series specially designed to introduce you to the best music of every period. All through the site you'll find almost 200 excerpts from Essential Classics. You'll also find:

Eras: Overviews of the six main periods in music history -- Middle Ages, Renaissance, Baroque, Classical, Romantic and Twentieth Century.

Brief biographies of nearly 70 composers, which will bring to life the artists and their works.

Glossary: 200 definitions with numerous musical examples.

Quote:
Don't die with your music still in you - Wayne Dyer
seraph
Editor
Editor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 1:03 pm    Post subject: Twelve-tone technique Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Twelve-tone technique:

Twelve-tone technique is a system of musical composition devised by Arnold Schoenberg. Music using the technique is called twelve-tone music (or dodecaphonic).

Schoenberg himself described the system as a "method of composing with 12 notes which are related only to one another"

P.S.
The late Bill Evans, one of the greatest jazz piano players, once wrote a tune called "T.T.T." (twelve tone tune). The melody was indeed a 12 tone series but was tonally harmonized. That started my interest for this technique.

http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twelve-tone_technique

Quote:

Last edited by seraph on Mon Sep 29, 2003 1:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Great site. I often send people over there. The list is quite OK. Recommended.
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

the list of "20th century" composers is as follows:
Scott Joplin (1868-1917)

Arnold Schoenberg (1874-1951)

Charles Ives (1874-1954)

Maurice Ravel (1875-1937)

Béla Bartók (1881-1945)

Igor Stravinsky (1882-1971)

Anton Webern (1883-1945)

Alban Berg (1885-1935)

Serge Prokofiev (1891-1953)

Lillian Hardin (1898-1971)

Duke Ellington (1899-1974)

Aaron Copland (1900-1990)

Richard Rodgers (1902-1979)

Olivier Messiaen (1908-1992)

Witold Lutoslawski (1913-1994)

Leonard Bernstein (1918-1990)

György Ligeti (1923- )

Pierre Boulez (1925- )

George Crumb (1929- )

Steve Reich (1936- )

Chinary Ung (1942- )

Paul Lansky (1944- )

Libby Larsen (1950- )

A decent list .. but there is a lot very interesting serious composers which are all missing.

When it comes to prokofiev, i guess most electronic musicians which havent really ever heard music by this composer.. should go for Andrei Nevsky first . This is one excellent piece of film music and the orchestral suite version ( get the Telarc recording ) is one excellent piece of great modern music. Sections of Andrei Nevsky are actually in the ambient genre.. .-) like "the battle on the ice" sequence. And forget his classical symphony. instead.. after "nevsky" ..go for something like the Romeo and Juliet music.

And.. Stravinsky.. if you know nothing.. you might as well turn off all the lights.. lock the doors and turn on Die Geschichte Vom Soldaten - max volume.. there are many great recordings.. there is one very cool one on Deutsche Grammofon.
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I never quite got the hots for 12 tone music as such, but it is a great way to get ideas and to think about rules and systems when creating music.

One often says music is a language which it clearly is not. But it is possibly to create systems of logic which actually, at least from my point of view, creates what makes music recognizable as music. Music is partly about relational groups of events .. audio events that are structured.. hmm.. interesting.. Idea I like music Cool
seraph
Editor
Editor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:

A decent list .. but there is a lot very interesting serious composers which are all missing.

George Gershwin is one of them!

elektro80 wrote:
lock the doors and turn on Die Geschichte Vom Soldaten - max volume..

That piece has been the hardest one I ever studied. I was a student at the Cherubini Conservatory in Florence. I studied percussions at the time. There are not two adjecent bars with the same time signature. It was crazy and cool at the same time. Very Happy

Quote:
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hehe... yes.. it reads like a William S. Burroughs version of Ulysses ( James Joyce ). But.. it rocks big time. An excellent piece.
seraph
Editor
Editor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 2:28 am    Post subject: Variation Techniques for Composers and Improvisors Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

http://music.theory.home.att.net/vartech.htm

Quote:
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That list is awesome and pretty complete. Isomelus is a nice method that can be used in a weird ways using synths and sequencers.
egw
Stream Operator

Audio files: 18
G2 patch files: 8

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

wow, that's a great list.
very useful for people that think they've run out of ideas!
seraph
Editor
Editor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 9:56 am    Post subject: The music of Arvo Pärt Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The music of Arvo Pärt

http://www.arvopart.org/

Because his music appears to be both simple and familiar yet so astonishingly new, many have attempted to pinpoint its origins.  “One senses its roots and its spirit, but the structure of the music is harder to grasp.  A curious union of historical master-craftsmanship and modern ‘gestus’, it is music that could have been written 250 years ago and yet could only be composed today.”

Quote:
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

True, Pärt is something else. BTW: I guess I will have a larger pad soon .. with a guest room or two.. I guess I will invite you and Howard over for some intensive Pärt sessions.
seraph
Editor
Editor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:
I guess I will invite you and Howard over for some intensive Pärt sessions.

a Pärt-time Pärt session or a full-time Pärt session? Shocked Very Happy

Quote:
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hmm.. interesting question.

Or we could just fill the living room with some instruments and jam? part -time ? partytime?
seraph
Editor
Editor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

http://www.schoenberg.at/default_e.htm

The web site of the Arnold Schönberg Center located in Vienna, Austria
Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

Quote:
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 213
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Arnold Schönberg wrote a great opera called Moses und Aaron which I have listened to on CD many times and was lucky enough to see performed live at the Metropolitan Opera in New York. The subject of the opera is a debate between Moses, who sees God as being beyond our ability to conceptualize or describe, and Aaron who argues that nobody will understand such a great non-verbal concept, and in order to sell the people on God they have to at least come up with a name. The twelve tone system is used to great affect in covering this material.

I recommend anyone interested in music to check this out if you haven't already done so.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Page 1 of 1 [16 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » How-tos
Jump to: