electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » How-tos » Ambiophonic Sound Reproduction
"PanAmbio" for 5.1 Surround Sound
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
rmiller

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:44 am    Post subject: "PanAmbio" for 5.1 Surround Sound
Subject description: Listening to 5.1 music & movies using Ambiophonic DSP
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

QUICK START: If you like 5.1 surround music or movies, add to your close-spaced Ambiophonics speakers in front a second pair in back - called "Pan Ambio." Process the SL & SR channels with a second incidence (no added cost) of the Ambiophonic DSP plugin. Set your player for "no center" so that it mixes the dialogue channel into the front pair that are already front-and-center. Your seating position relative to the speaker pairs now must be approximately equidistant front-to-back (accommodating a second or third person in a column), and exactly centered left-to-right.

INTRODUCING PanAmbio SURROUND: If you are new to Ambiophonics, we suggest you try the pre-processed demos at www.filmaker.com/products.htm (using your closely-spaced PC/laptop speakers to approximate the ideal 16 degree speaker angle for Ambiophonics), then decide whether the AmbioDSP plug-in is right for you. You can then purchase at http://electro-music.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/114 and consult the included User Guide for setting up. The forum is a resource for feedback and support.

Life-like sound is the goal of Ambiophonics - and the gold standard in realizing it is the Ambiophonic DSP plugin. Using its effective controls, you'll discover what your 2-channel (stereo) recordings or mixes actually sound like, absent the fog of crosstalk of conventional stereo speakers. Your collection of music recordings will sound entirely new, coming to life with previously unheard realism. Of course not all recordings are made equally well, so now hearing them more accurately, you'll discovered critical differences not heard before - which is why for accuracy while mixing, I and others monitor using Ambiophonics.

Using two speakers, Ambiophonics purifies important centered voices from comb filtering due to speaker crosstalk, and eliminates center sounds coming confusingly from left and right. Ambiophonics rescues layers of instruments so they stand out clearly, as when hearing live. And Ambiophonics doubles the perceived hearing angle from 60deg to 120deg, which activates listener envelopment (LEV) - key to involving you in the music - in a way that conventional stereo cannot. Completing the circle of envelopment with PanAmbio Surround, your 5.1 DVD movies and music releases will sound new too, coming to life with the most realistic reproduction you've heard from any audiophile 5.1 system.

OUR CREDS: Working as developer for the Ambiophonics Institute of PanAmbio reproduction and the PanAmbiophone for recording, I involved Howard in many of the experiments. And so we co-devloped the Ambiophonic DSP plug-in, available exclusively from electro-music.com, which also hosts an active forum about Ambiophonics and in support of the AmbioDSP plug-in. Sales in turn support electro-music.com[/u][/i]. Let us know in this topic how we can help you get the most from your listening experience.

Jackfrost

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This is to update you that my rear speakers are in place. You seemed interested in my progress, just thought I would fill you in. First results are less than perfect, it seems the rear sound can muddy the instrument focus in the front. This is using a regular stereo image. That is all I can set up for now. Also speaker placement is less than ideal for the moment. My wife has to approve any major changes. I'm going slow as you might understand. The room is 31' x 18'. Setup gives 17 degree angle total for the front. The back is a bit skewed and needs more work. Unfortunately everything is against a wall.

I can quickly adjust the volume of front and rear with remotes, and also turn each on and off without moving. All my music is stereo, and I rarely watch movies. The rear speakers need to add more with only a stereo source or I might drop the 5.1 plans for now. Changing the phase of the rear speakers was an unexpected surprise. Still don't know what to make of it. Testing things more this weekend. Every piece of music is different.

I will update this when things are more 'put together'. Everything is sort of a rough draft at the moment. I've used Asio4all before so it is not entirely new to me. We have had a lot of snow so a snowday is in order.

Thanks
rmiller

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Jim - I'm troubled by the words "skewed" and "phase" in your post above. Just as with the Ambiophonic speaker pair in front, any errors in geometry or phase will certainly wreck things. For duplicating AmbioDSP-processed stereo in back (at 6~10dB lower level), adding the back pair adds a critical factor - they must be exactly astride the median plane defined by the front pair and the listener, although the back pair angle can be somewhat different. A speaker out of phase in any multi-speaker audio reproduction system leads inevitably to unpredictable, confused sound. Keep us posted...
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Maybe, Jack, you can explain what "skewed" means. If the speakers are offset from the median line, maybe we can build in so sort of compensation circuit.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Jackfrost

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Robin and Howard. Don't be troubled, I like to tinker.

Everything is laid out to spec now and sounds fantastic.

This is like an Easter egg hunt. I just listened to some jazz on internet radio from Amsterdam and I thought the musicians were in the front room with me. Real presence. Gotta have that CD.

Just incredible...

Thanks
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Jackfrost wrote:
Don't be troubled, I like to tinker.

Everything is laid out to spec now and sounds fantastic.

Haha, we like to tinker too. Smile

Glad things are working well for you.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » How-tos » Ambiophonic Sound Reproduction
Jump to: