electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
2013 Build Pictures
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 2 of 8 [178 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 Next
bubzy

Audio files: 64

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

that does sound nice Smile
7/8 synth music too! good work.

Scot Solida

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mcop wrote:
Scot Solida wrote:
I wanted to convert a Red Llama distortion clone into module form for convenience so decided to hand-paint the thing.

Looks great. Have been thinking of building a version of the Craig Anderton Tube Sound Fuzz (which the Red Llama is apparent based on) for my system and your sound clips have convinced me.

Thanks. I've built the Anderton version too, and in fact, that one had an outlandish painting on it as well (though it was in pedal form and built for a friend).
Scot Solida

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

bubzy wrote:
that does sound nice Smile
7/8 synth music too! good work.

Thanks. I tap my toes in 7/8, much to the annoyance of many bandmates over the years...
Draal

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Some progress shots of the tin I'm modifying for the mini synthy thing I built recently. Slow pace due to other obligations, but getting there. The overall vibe I'm after is something sci fi in appearance. Low budget sci fi I'm sure Laughing !

mini2.JPG
 Description:
CArving out more bits.
 Filesize:  687.2 KB
 Viewed:  530 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

mini2.JPG

photo.JPG
 Description:
The sides get some attention.
 Filesize:  741.9 KB
 Viewed:  398 Time(s)

photo.JPG

photo2a.JPG
 Description:
The basic layout gets started with Apoxie Sculpt.
 Filesize:  593.74 KB
 Viewed:  393 Time(s)

photo2a.JPG

PHOBoS

Audio files: 705

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

looks great Draal Very Happy

what kind of material are you using ?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
mcop

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Scot Solida wrote:
Thanks. I've built the Anderton version too, and in fact, that one had an outlandish painting on it as well (though it was in pedal form and built for a friend).

I've built a couple of slightly modified versions. One for a friends Mbira (thumb piano) and one for myself. Nice little fuzz and the output levels pretty high straight out of the inverter.
Did you need to put an op-amp on the output at all? And also did you protect the input in anyway - i.e. buffer or schottky diodes?
Draal

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

PHOBoS wrote:
looks great Draal Very Happy

what kind of material are you using ?

Thanks! I use a nontoxic 2 part sculpting material called Apoxie Sculpt. It's used to repair holes in boats, line gas tanks, build huge or small models, toys and movie props. They use this stuff in theme parks as well.

Very little odor so no typical resin issues to worry about.
I do use a mask if I'm sanding it but it whittles very well with a blade. 2 to 3 hour work time as it air dries.

It's a perfect substitute for epoxy and just as durable.

Scot Solida

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mcop wrote:
Scot Solida wrote:

I've built a couple of slightly modified versions. One for a friends Mbira (thumb piano) and one for myself. Nice little fuzz and the output levels pretty high straight out of the inverter.
Did you need to put an op-amp on the output at all? And also did you protect the input in anyway - i.e. buffer or schottky diodes?

Actually, I built the original Llama as a pedal, and once I made this panel, my son did much of the adaptation to the circuit, removing the switches, adding a regulator, ferrite beads and caps on a bit of perf board to allow it to run from the Synthesizers.com power supply. Pretty sure he added a diode to the input, yeah. No added op-amp at the output.
mcop

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Scot Solida wrote:

Actually, I built the original Llama as a pedal, and once I made this panel, my son did much of the adaptation to the circuit, removing the switches, adding a regulator, ferrite beads and caps on a bit of perf board to allow it to run from the Synthesizers.com power supply. Pretty sure he added a diode to the input, yeah. No added op-amp at the output.

Thanks for the info.
Antonio T

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

zthee wrote:
I built a TKB -

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

WOW! wonderful!
Is it powered +12 -12 ? (same power connector as a serge TKB ?)
Draal

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just a quick progress shot of my mini synth tin. Almost there. The pic is upside down only on this site Surprised .

mini06.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  528.12 KB
 Viewed:  489 Time(s)

mini06.JPG

analog_backlash

Audio files: 21

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:45 pm    Post subject: DeadSky Mixer Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Not actually an instrument or effect, but something I've had breadboarded for ages and I've finally built it. The case (as will be obvious) is an old Sky+HD box. This I found dumped in a communal refuse area (just thought I'd mention that, in case any Sky engineers are reading this) and I couldn't resist recycling it. It's not a perfect build, but it works. I need to remove some glue from around the artwork (once it has fully dried).

I've attached one picture of the closed box and another to show the internal PCBs, pots, switches, cabling etc. (note the chaos of screened cable - I haven't mastered tidy cabling yet Embarassed ).

The circuitry is based loosely around an MFOS stereo mixer design. There are 4 line input circuits, but I've also added one for a microphone input and one guitar input (both using a single transistor preamp before the line stage). Each has its own level and pan controls. The monitor pots (down the right-hand side) control the level of a previously recorded signal and the new signal being introduced. There is also a twin LM386 amp for stereo headphones monitoring.

I know I could have just bought a mixer, but this has been designed for my own personal requirements and it seemed like a good idea at the time... I'm quite pleased with the results so far. I'll probably make a test recording sometime and post it.

Gary

DeadSky Mixer Closed.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  466.67 KB
 Viewed:  572 Time(s)

DeadSky Mixer Closed.JPG

DeadSky Mixer Guts.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  572.79 KB
 Viewed:  513 Time(s)

DeadSky Mixer Guts.JPG

damj

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This is my modified Boss dr-110.
It worked and sounded very nice until I moved it to the new frontpanel... Will work again soon.

dr110mod.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  76.99 KB
 Viewed:  487 Time(s)

dr110mod.jpg

zthee

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Antonio T wrote:
WOW! wonderful!
Is it powered +12 -12 ? (same power connector as a serge TKB ?)

Thanks!

Yes, it's +/-12V operation. It draws very little current, approx 25mA on + side and less on negative.

kkissinger

Audio files: 42

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:22 am    Post subject: Skip Clock After Reset Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This little module solves a problem when using clock pulses derived from MIDI clock.

The Problem

When running at 24 PPQ it is common to divide the MIDI Clock by three (to get 16th notes). (for this explanation, I'll number the 24 Clocks from 0 to 23). The MIDI reset message arrives prior to Clock 0. This means that the reset signal will set sequencers and clock dividers to their clock 0's. Then, the first MIDI clock signal (MIDI Clock zero) advances the sequencers and clock dividers to clock 1. Thus, the dividers and sequencers are "off" by one tick.

The Solution

Since the reset sets all devices (dividers and sequencers) to Clock 0, the MIDI Clock 0's tick must be ignored and then on MIDI Clock 1, everything steps to Clock 1 and all is well -- the MIDI clocks and the devices are all in the same place.

To implement a solution, I used a Yusynth Logical Gate board and a 4017 CMOS counter. The heart of circuit is the 4017.

When the circuit passes clocks, the 4017 is 'stuck' on the 4017's step 2. Step 2's 'high' signal is passed to the 4017's Enable pin which stops the 4017 from advancing. Also, step 2's signal is logical AND'd with the input clock signal and passed to the output (to the external devices).

A reset signal sets the 4017 to it's Clock 0 position. As a result, Clock 2 goes 'low' which enables the 4017 and prevents the clock from being passed to the output.

The next Clock (MIDI Clock 0) advances the 4017 to its Clock 1 position.

The next Clock (MIDI Clock 1) advances the 4017 to its Clock 2 position (where it starts to pass clocks again and "waits" for another reset.

As a bonus, I also pass the 4017s Clock 2 signal directly to another output. This gives me two methods to control external modules: I can either pass the clocks to the module OR pass the enable signal. Both methods accomplish the same thing.

(Note: the 4017's enable pin works the opposite of what you might expect for a clock enable -- namely, when the enable pin is LOW, the clock is enabled. This is convenient because a high clock out pin can be used to stop the clock (without having to do a logical NOT conversion). Also, if one doesn't need to use the enable function, one only need ground the enable pin -- don't need to get a logical 'high" to it.)

I have racked my brain over this problem for nearly two years. I kept trying to solve the problem with various combinations of logic -- the breakthrough was the use of the 4017. I'm ready to do some actual music now that I have this function working. Smile

SkipClockAfterReset.jpg
 Description:
Skip Clock After Reset (utility function)
 Filesize:  325.5 KB
 Viewed:  502 Time(s)

SkipClockAfterReset.jpg

PHOBoS

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: Skip Clock After Reset Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

kkissinger wrote:
Now I'm ready to do some actual music now that I have this function working. Smile

ah, so far it has just been a soundcheck,. well then I'm REALLY looking forward to what your music will sound like Laughing

good that you found a solution.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
elmegil

Audio files: 16

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It's no Rast, but it's got 60U (unless I have messed up my hole alignments Smile). I do need to do a couple other tweaks, and I'll have to replace the +/- 15V supply before I fill the rack up (I bought this supply many moons ago before I understood all the things I needed to look for in a power-one unit....and besides this one was pretty rusty as you can see).

But all in all, happy to have it ready to roll....

Edit: BTW this was a salvaged bookshelf, not a build from scratch.

2013-02-26_23-20-43_225.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  723.23 KB
 Viewed:  547 Time(s)

2013-02-26_23-20-43_225.jpg

2013-02-26_23-21-25_874.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  622.52 KB
 Viewed:  514 Time(s)

2013-02-26_23-21-25_874.jpg

2013-02-26_23-21-36_857.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  721.4 KB
 Viewed:  508 Time(s)

2013-02-26_23-21-36_857.jpg

Draal

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cmos Minisynth Tin is getting closer to "Done". Here's a current pic primed but not painted yet. Probably have a sand like finish in appearance since she's looking all Aztec Mummy.

Did ancient astronutz leave primitive man his first synth? Sorry, I grew up in the 70's Rolling Eyes

minisynthprimed.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  853.29 KB
 Viewed:  517 Time(s)

minisynthprimed.JPG

analog_backlash

Audio files: 21

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Draal wrote:
Cmos Minisynth Tin is getting closer to "Done". Here's a current pic primed but not painted yet. Probably have a sand like finish in appearance since she's looking all Aztec Mummy.

Did ancient astronutz leave primitive man his first synth? Sorry, I grew up in the 70's Rolling Eyes

Send a copy of that photo into Erich von Däniken and see how long it takes to get into one of his highly plausible and well researched books. I'm convinced already...

Last edited by analog_backlash on Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:25 am; edited 2 times in total
mcop

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Draal wrote:

Looks great. Have you considered gold knobs in the style of aztec gods faces? Each one the god of a particular function.
PHOBoS

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:25 pm    Post subject: Lun-A-Key Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

here's a photo of my lovely assistant showing of the latest PHOBoSapiens inc. product: the "Lun-A-Key".
more info can be found here

Lun-A-Key.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  396.08 KB
 Viewed:  519 Time(s)

Lun-A-Key.jpg

Last edited by PHOBoS on Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
elmegil

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Splendid! Today, Pepperland goes Blue-y. Fire!
PHOBoS

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Laughing I did think about blue meanies while painting, but I'm saving the yellow submarine theme for my modular.
I allready tried some panel designs for it a while back, here's an example Cool

YSVCA.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  177.8 KB
 Viewed:  488 Time(s)

YSVCA.jpg

elmegil

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That is mind blowingly awesome Smile
Draal

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mcop wrote:
Draal wrote:

Looks great. Have you considered gold knobs in the style of aztec gods faces? Each one the god of a particular function.

Thanks Smile ! That's a good question. I am still searching for the right knobs otherwise it's gonna be molding time.

@PHOBoS - awesome smurf machine and I like the panel!

Here's a look of my machine with circuit installed. Besides the knob search/creation, my amp went AOL, so I have more work ahead Rolling Eyes .

miniDone.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  721.32 KB
 Viewed:  530 Time(s)

miniDone.JPG

Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 2 of 8 [178 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: