electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » General Discussion
FX Teleport...
Page 1 of 1 [25 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
retired_1

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 4:04 am    Post subject: FX Teleport... Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi All,

Has anyone used this at all?

http://www.fx-max.com/fxt/working.html

Im finding that more and more these days im working with vsti's mainly and wonder if this is a good solution to spreading the CPU load over multiple machines...?

Cheers,
Ben
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I haven´t tried this one yet. I will look into the specs and more. However, if you yet haven´t considered the UAD-1 DSP card, you really should. It doesn´t provide virtual instruments, but the compressors and reverbs and the lot are magnificent.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:

Hardware notice

Though FX Teleport should work on any hardware configuration mentioned in the system requirements, you should consider the following recommendations to achieve optimal latency:

Use 100MBit or 1Gbit network adapters with support of Full Duplex mode. Ensure that Full Duplex mode is enabled on all your adapters.
Use switches instead of hubs.
Ensure you have good cabling, and that your actual network speed is as you expected (just copy a file over the network and measure the speed).

It seems that gigabit is the one to go for here, and good gigabit gear is still relatively expensive.

Logic 7.1 is of course an alternative, and I guess that bundle is one of the best out there at the moment. The networking bits of Logic is one of Apple´s flagship products and I guess I would choose Logic instead of FX Teleport. Whatever Steve Jobs finds cool .... etc etc.. you know.. Cool

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
retired_1

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
However, if you yet haven´t considered the UAD-1 DSP card, you really should.

Ive got a powercore card which is doing me pretty nicely right now... Although I really want another one! Very Happy

Also doing alot of stuff with plugins from Native Instruments...

Quote:
Logic 7.1 is of course an alternative, and I guess that bundle is one of the best out there at the moment.

mmm I wish i could get an Apple... unfortunatly not so in my price range! would probably need two for getting the networking sorted!

Gigabit would definatly be the way to go... Even though 100Mbs is faster than USB 2 and firewire (is that right?!) so that should be sufficient for the time being...

I was mainly thinking to use this for plugins that come with massive sample libraries (spectrasonics spring to mind) so I don't have to store the libraries on the master computer...

Might pull down the demo and give it a bash... certainly looks very interesting...
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Whyt not simply set up more PCs or macs or whatever and run these via midi.? Like.. Zimmer and his Gigasampler boxes ?

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
retired_1

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thats certainly a possibility.. Surley that would require hooking the outputs of the other computers into the master computer?

The thing that attacts me the most to this solution is that everything is in one environment...
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hmm.. yes.. and ... yes... Very Happy

but it might be a lot more DSP efficent to run standalone instrument PCs. You can embed audio and midi in enthernet packets anyway.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
retired_1

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I guess I need to work out, once Ive given this thing a bash, whether its worth getting a dedicated pc for vsti's or if its not that good a dedicated powercore for the synths on offer from TC...
jksuperstar

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 18

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Even though 100Mbs is faster than USB 2 and firewire (is that right?!)

10-T = 10Mb/s
USB = 12Mb/s
100-T = 100Mb/s
Firewire = 400Mb/s
USB2 = 480Mb/s
Firewire2 = 800Mb/s
1G-T = 1000Mb/s
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 211
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Those are the base transport bit rates, not the actual throughput for an application that uses these interfaces. Most IP type networks are usually about 50% efficient. Firewire and USB a little more efficient. Still, these base rate numbers are all we have to compare.

I only mention this because I've talked people who take the base rate of a firewire interface, for example, figure out the bit rate of their audio (width X sample rate) and divide that into the base rate to figure out how many channels they can run. The are always dissappointed with reality. If you derate the interface base rate by a factor of 2 you are going to be pretty safe assuming your hardware can really process data that fast.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Mosc is right about this.

and

Quote:
If you derate the interface base rate by a factor of 2 you are going to be pretty safe assuming your hardware can really process data that fast

YES

Gigabit is of course tempting, but a decent switch will be expensive and you must know what you are doing. An alternative is to use IP over Firewire. This works 99% of the time on macs. You still gotta know what you are doing. It is not quite there on PC yet.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Very valid points, but the sad fact that modern computers are build for just one operator is hurting software-based jamsessions. From that perspective I think systems like this are tremendously exciting as is the fact that OSC uses ethernet and I.P. adresses.

I think this may well be the future for small ensembles and also has some hope of making the studio environment more democratic compared to the one central, authoritative, spot behind the main desk. This is one of the core philosphies for me for a communal studio Rob and me hope to set up.

retired_1

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

A gigabit switch isn't as much as I originally thought... From netgear an 8 port switch is £214.95... ok a five port 10/100Mbs switch is around £70 so its quite an increase...

Are there applications about that use firewire 2 / USB 2 in such a way to utilise other machines processors for audio crunching in any way...?

For us guys on PC with Logic 5.5 upgrading to Logic 7 and macs is a very inviting and expensive offer but as a hobbyist I couldn't justify spending so much money on hardware (2 macs + 2 versions of logic to get the networking functionality?)

Gigabit does seem very cheap in comparison...

Network and online jamming would be a fantastic area to explore... OSC seems to run over php / java / perl and director so theoretically online should be possible... I don't know about transporting audio online yet but theres certainly been some midi based jamming online with this technology...
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

A true pro clean gigabit switch is a tad more than 250 USD.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
retired_1

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

only 250 USD.. nice.. thats around 140 GBP..
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, I would not buy that one yet. Test it first. One of my gigabit switches here comes at 18 times that price.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
retired_1

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

18?! god.. netgear seem to be pretty reliable.. the 10/100Mbs was one of the best for no packet collisions.. hopefully thats been mirrored in the 1000Mbs one...
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The consumer grade gigabit switches are mostly about gigabit NIC connectivity and not a turbocharged gigabit switch backplane. I am also talking steel chassic, rack mounts, fans, modular ports and stackability .. and remote administration. All this might seem like overkill, but.. Shocked Cool

Anyways, pro gigabit gear is really something else. This is what Apple recommends for Logic 7 distributed computing. You can of course get by with less, but then I would rather recommend some pro 100 megabit gear instead of consumer gigabit stuff. Many pro switches will let you run packet diagnostics and logging. These are very important features.

Hmm.. and.. yes, I am a nerd.. ( see the score ... somewhere around here.. carlo? ) . I am the kind of guy who has a rackmounted dual fan steel chassis 24 port 100 megabit remote administration Bay Networks switch at home. And my wife thinks it looks cool.. I am a lucky guy!

BTW: Netgear is just fine. . Some of the 10/100 netgear stuff is very good. But it is not pro stuff.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:

Hmm.. and.. yes, I am a nerd.. ( see the score ... somewhere around here.. carlo? ).

are you talking to me Question
here you are:
http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-6350.html

Quote:
Don't die with your music still in you - Wayne Dyer
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

! THX!

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
retired_1

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
and yes.. I looked MN up in the perodic table I keep on my desk..

if you dont mind me asking what do you do over in norway... turbocharged gigabit super network and periodic tables? Very Happy
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Right now? I am downloading a gig of RAWs, shot on this cute Canon 300D ( black Asia edition), onto my HD using a cute Firewire memory card reader. Shocked ........done.. FW sure beats the camera´s built in USB port.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I am a little bored today. My local dealer promised me delivery of this cute new 128MB graphics card, but it didn´t show up. Shocked

Why is tech so damned cute? Where is JP Sartre when you need him?

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
retired_1

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

know the bordom thing... going through it myself...

extent of my day so far:

Robin: Has Gary just asked you about the Flash?
Ben: yup
Robin: Ok, the flash file has been changed and can be found on digi-assets
Ben: where? called what etc...?
Robin: dunno
Ben: coooool
Ben: ill just upload the whole server then
Robin: coool
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Shocked

Hmm.. sounds familiar

Wink

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Page 1 of 1 [25 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » General Discussion
Jump to: