electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Arduino
arduino (clone) based modular synth
Page 1 of 1 [24 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Grumble

Audio files: 30

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:20 am    Post subject: arduino (clone) based modular synth
Subject description: this article writes about my idea to build an arduino(clone) based modular synth
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

recently I built an arduino (clone) based synth, but if I knew what I know now, I would have built a modular syth to start with.
So, now I'm thinking about and building my second synth, modular this time.

For that I'm using 5 basic components (besides the usual knobs, switches, connectors etc.)

1st. An Arduino clone based on the ATmega328P, this particular one is called the PRO MINI
This particular board also outputs ADC6 and ADC7 not available on the dip version of the Atmega328.
This board is very breadboard friendly, and I use dual sided thru plated (almost) eurocard sized experiment board.

2nd. I obtained several Direct Digital Synthesis chips, the Analog Devices AD9833 used for several purposes: It is capable to output a sine wave (12 bits accuracy, 0.6V p/p), a triangle 0.6V p/p and a square wave 5V p/p.
These three signals are NOT simultaneous available. I use the Triangle and Sine-waves as audio signals, and the Square wave as a clock signal.
By using PB0 on the Arduino as clock to the AD9833 the output frequency may be set to as low as ~0.06 Hz (which also is the minimum step size), so they are usable as an audio generator but also as a LFO without changing the input frequency.
By using the triangle wave and a variable voltage (potmeter or CV) to a comparator I am able to make pulses with a variable pulsewidth.

3rd. For filtering I use digital programmable filters e.g. MAX261 clocked by the Square output of one of the AD9833. The MAX261 has two filter sections, programmable Q-factor, LP, HP, Notch, a programmable input frequency divider, and a free usable opamp.

4th. For programming the ADSR I use a DAC MAX5122, again from Maxim, but this one is especially designed for used with sensors. The beauty in this DAC lies in that it can use an external REF voltage.
By doing this, the output is direct dependable form the REF input, which may be a voltage from a potentiometer, or a CV or even (with the aid of a capacitor) a LFO.

5th. The Arduino has (depending on the type of processor) 6 to 8 analog inputs, but sometimes I need more inputs to measure the potentiometer shaft positions or switch positions.
The chip I use to expand the number of analog inputs is a 16 channel analog multiplexer/demultiplexer 74HC4067, for 4 digital outputs and 1 (or two) analog inputs you get 16 analog inputs.
Grumble

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

In the near future I plan to write some more about this ongoing project, with pictures, diagrams etc.
I hope this will work two ways: first maybe it is fun to read about my progress, or maybe to help someone out facing technical difficulties or presenting ideas how to technically solve certain problems.
Secondly, I would really like to have some input in what kind of inputs/outputs my designs "should" have.

I am confident in my knowledge about electronics, but am a novice in playing (with) and programming synthesizers.

You will notice that I'm using digital solutions as much as possible, because I think it is more flexible and it also is my hobby...

Starting point is my keyboard: I bought a Primax Midistorm keyboard on the internet for 15€. Inside the case of this keyboard there are two pcb's with about 32 keys each.
Enough to build 2 keyboards Rolling Eyes using an Arduino
My keyboards are very basic polyphonic: it just gives a midi out (note on/channel, key number, velocity and note off/channel, key number, velocity=0).
By making the communication this easy the receiving part can be simple (and fast, to minimalise latency) to.
Inside my synth I use the midi input signal to get the part of the midi signal responsible for the note and distribute that to e.g. a digital programmable oscillator or filter.
Also I create a key-down signal: a digital signal that tells the rest of the synth that a key is pressed.
AuDioMiRage

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Looking forward to seeing more info on this project. I also am learnig to work with coding for Arduino and this seems like the perfect motivator project.
In the mean time, I'll start gathering up the parts.
Grumble

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I am not using the Arduino IDE, I use Atmel Studio 7.
The good thing is that the Arduino IDE is integrated in the Atmel Studio 7.
Grumble

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

After the keyboard is done, I've made a midi in/out module.
This module also has a trigger/gate section with a repetition time going from 1/64 sec up to 4 seconds, using a knob or voltage controlled.
The output of the trigger out pulse is about 7mS wide (thats half of the minimum repetition time) and the output of the gate out is always 50% of the repetition time.
The midi in/out secion has a opto couppler at the input and a trigger out and a gate out.
The trigger out is short, going high when note-on is received and going low when the velocity of the note-on is received.
The gate goes high when a note-on is received and goed low when a note-off is received.
Also there is a serial signal representing the pressed note and this signal is used thru out the synth as a substitute for a control voltage. (MIDINUM)
And last but not least there is a midi out for future use with a sequencer.

MidiInOut.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  92.86 KB
 Viewed:  1681 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

MidiInOut.jpg

Grumble

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The next board finished is a noiseboard.
It has an (almost) standard transistor noise generator, a clock generator built from a AD9833 DDS chip which is clocked with 16MhZ, then the signal is amplified and fed thru a MAX261 programmable universal filter.
This makes it possible to choose with a three step rotary switch between a low pass, band pass and high pass filter.
Both the center frequency and the Q-factor of this filter are controllable by a potmeter and/or a control voltage (0 - 5V)
The advantage of using this filter is the reaction speed (about 1.5 mS) and it can be set to self-oscillating, which makes it a nice signal source.
The filter is followed by an amplifier to give the signal an amplitude of 0 - 5V and to lower the output impedance of the noise board.
Additionally there is a decoupling capacitor to have the noise swing around 0 V.
The DDS and Filter are controlled by an Improved Arduino Pro Mini.
A switch on the front panel lets you choose between a fixed base frequency, in a way that when the frequency knob is in center position the center frequency will be 440Hz, when the switch is in down position, and the frequency knob is in center position, the base frequency follows the midi signal.
There is one downside by using this filter and that is the bleed thru of the clock frequency when the filter is programmed for a low center frequency.
This filter is built using switching around capacitors and since the max division of the clock frequency is about 200x you start hearing a signal when the center frequency reaches about 40 or so Herz.

Link to the AD9833
Link to MAX261
Link to Arduino Pro Mini

edit: semantics and error in diagram

noiseboard.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  68.23 KB
 Viewed:  1392 Time(s)

noiseboard.JPG

Last edited by Grumble on Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:18 pm; edited 2 times in total
Grumble

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You will see more of the AD9833 DDS chip because I'm also using it on a signal generator board on which I use 4 of these.
They are capable of putting out a sine- triangle- and square wave signal (not at the same time).
Grumble

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Work in progress
Left to right:
1 Midi interface with trigger generator.
2 Sequencer with midi out and/or audio capabilities.
3 Dual ADSR, triggers at leading edge, trailing edge or both. With modulation.
4 Quad audio generator all with LFO, bottom generator will go very low, 0.05Hz. Sine or Triangle and Square with variable (pot) pulswidth 10 - 90%
5 Noise generator with filter LP, HP and BP (self oscillating capabilities), AC and DC output.

IMG_20160225_234141.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.52 MB
 Viewed:  1127 Time(s)

IMG_20160225_234141.jpg

sixbyseven

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 6:00 am    Post subject: Arduino or ATMel based sythns. Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Awesome work Grumble. I too have been using atmel and ARM processors for a couple of synth projects. I am also using the AD9833 as waveform generators (along with a pro mini atmel328 as a controller).

I have never build a completed, modular type synth as most of the projects I do, consist of building small, specialized synths into "stand alone" musical instruments.

Really looking forward to see how your project turns out.

Grumble

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thank you!
My first synth was a non modular synth (see the avatar) but if I knew then what I know now it would have been a modular. It's so much fun!
From the picture above this post only the midi module and the noise generator are finished, the rest is half built or complete pm Wink
First I want to have finished a complete usable synth before starting to build more "unusual" modules like sound processors, drum modules and the like.
So after the modules of this picture are finished I still need a (dual) vcf and a mixer with gain/offset possibilities.
Grumble

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Have been playing with my noise generator.
Modulating with sine and saw waves.
There is even some self oscillating part.

noiseboard.mp3
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  noiseboard.mp3
 Filesize:  4.51 MB
 Downloaded:  1260 Time(s)

Grumble

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Next unit finished: Dual ADSR.
Each channel trigger able with leading- trailing- or both edges.
Trigger sources are:
1. A short pulse, in this case the signal will go with an (Attack) slope to maximal, then with a (Decay)slope to Sustain voltage and then with a (Release)slope to 0 Volt.
2. A Gate signal, the signal will go with an (Attack) slope to maximal, then with a (Decay)slope to Sustain voltage and will stay there until the Gate signal goes low, then the signal will go with a (Release)slope to 0 Volt.
3. Manual, here the ADSR signal will act as triggered with a Gate signal.
Each channel gives out a gate signal for as long as the ADSR signal is active.
The ADSR can also be modulated e.g. with an LFO.
And it's already a lot of fun, fiddling around with the Gate/Trigger generator on my Midi module, the dual ADSR and the Noiseboard module.

IMG_20160302_220554.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.76 MB
 Viewed:  790 Time(s)

IMG_20160302_220554.jpg

Dual ADSR.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  125.31 KB
 Viewed:  1104 Time(s)

Dual ADSR.JPG

Grumble

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

A link about the triggerbox (drumsynth+) is HERE

trigerbox.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  2.16 MB
 Viewed:  619 Time(s)

trigerbox.jpg

Grumble

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

A link about my quad vca is HERE

IMG_20160329_162955.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  2.14 MB
 Viewed:  670 Time(s)

IMG_20160329_162955.jpg

IMG_20160323_075150.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  2.31 MB
 Viewed:  627 Time(s)

IMG_20160323_075150.jpg

IMG_20160323_075138.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  2.46 MB
 Viewed:  616 Time(s)

IMG_20160323_075138.jpg

Grumble

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Some sound files from the synth this far.

Filterdemo 01.mp3
 Description:
I'm using for these files a sequencer, dual VCF, Dual ADSR, 2 channels of the VCA, 2 Signal Generators (square wave)

Download
 Filename:  Filterdemo 01.mp3
 Filesize:  2.71 MB
 Downloaded:  1042 Time(s)

Filterdemo 02.mp3
 Description:
Input is a square wave 250Hz, playing with the F0 and Q of the filter and later some modulation of F0.
Turning up the Q gives some nice ringing and even frequency multiplication.

Download
 Filename:  Filterdemo 02.mp3
 Filesize:  2.86 MB
 Downloaded:  996 Time(s)

blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cool
Grumble

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

https://youtu.be/WP7Hl2qIk4U
petegaggs

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm very interested to hear more about these, I am on a similar path in that I started with an idea to build a complete synth on one board, then changed my mind and decided it should be a series of modules.
You have got a bit further than I have, good work!
Grumble

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I get questions on a regular basis about my modular synth, especially about the use of the AD9833 DDS from Analog Devices in combination with an Arduino.
My plan is to write a series of articles about this little wonder, add basic programs and schematics.
The idea is to show how to work with control voltages to change the frequency, or make a hard sync etc.

The AD9833 is a DDS, what stands for Direct Digital Synthesis, Analog Devices has a large number of these type of devices but I like this one the most because it's ease of programming and the low pin-count.
There is one downside though: It's freaking small, so the hard part is not the programming, but the soldering of this chip to convert it to a more diy friendly format.
In order to do this I bought THESE pcb converters.
To get an idea how small the AD9833 really is:
Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.
For programming I use C++ on Atmel Studio which can be free downloaded HERE.

(see code)
in the line: ad9833_send(AD_TRI);// set waveform shape the shape is chosen, in this case a triangle shape, but also a sine or square is possible (not simultaneous) and for the square the output will be VCC, but the sine and triangle will be typ. 650mV so they need some amplification and maybe level shifting.
The frequency is set here: ad9833_set_frequency(1500); 1500Hz in this example, but 1500.1Hz is also possible...
The lowest frequency when using the 16MHz from the Arduino as a master clock, will be 0.0596Hz which is also the accuracy for setting the frequency.
The maximum frequency is well in the MHz range, not suitable for audio but definitely very practical for clock frequency generation.
To use the clock frequency of the Arduino a fuse has to be set: in Atmel Studio this one is called LOW.CKOUT if this fuse is set, the 16MHz clock is output to port PB0

edit: since the code keeps getting f*cked up, I added the code as an attachement

The fuses on the Atmega328P as set with Atmel Studio

This is the basic diagram as used in this article

main__basic_628[2].cpp
 Description:
The code that goes with this article

Download
 Filename:  main__basic_628[2].cpp
 Filesize:  2.94 KB
 Downloaded:  462 Time(s)

Grumble

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

In this second article about programming the AD9833 I added an input for modulation.
For modulation purposes I used a 3310B Function Generator from Hewlett Packard, but any sound source can be used, set to a voltage between 0 and 5 volt, I used the Analog 0 input (PC0) of the AtMega328p and added some lines of code to the previous code.
Also a sound clip is added to this page, where I use different wave forms and amplitudes to modulate the AD9833.
I added 10 to the Analog to Digital Converter input and made that equal to the frequency, so the frequency span is 10 - 1033Hz, since the ADC of the AtMega328 is 10bit (1024 levels)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_goM7B9jEt4

I managed to do some phase modulation on the AD9833, this is a short demo of phase modulation of the Analog Devices AD9833 DDS chip with an Arduino (Atmega328p).
First part is where the hard sync input frequency is varied, than the phase of the hard sync is modulated en than the frequentie of the ad9833 is modulated.
The last part all three variables are modulated.
The sync input is PD2 (INT0), the phase input is ADC0 (PC0) and the Frequency input to control the AD9833 is ADC1 (PC1).
The signal is very noisy, but that is because the wires go all over my desk.

main_swept.cpp
 Description:
C++ code with modulation possibility

Download
 Filename:  main_swept.cpp
 Filesize:  3.58 KB
 Downloaded:  462 Time(s)

swept.mp3
 Description:
MP3 file with different modulation waveforms, frequencies and voltages

Download
 Filename:  swept.mp3
 Filesize:  4.34 MB
 Downloaded:  820 Time(s)

main - hard sync.cpp
 Description:
c++ file with the code I used.

Download
 Filename:  main - hard sync.cpp
 Filesize:  4.25 KB
 Downloaded:  445 Time(s)

Grumble

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:33 pm    Post subject: OPL3 Player module Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm working on an OPL3 player module.
Started ordering a few YMF262 Yamaha FM chips, which have been used in a lot of synthesizers in the 80ties. Along with these YMF262 I ordered some DAC chips YAC512.

HERE the artticle on electro-music.com

20170129_151258_122[1].jpg
 Description:
Opl3 player
 Filesize:  841.41 KB
 Viewed:  424 Time(s)

20170129_151258_122[1].jpg

Grumble

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I start to feel the need for a Sawtooth waveform generator because it has a distinct sound, very different from sine, triangle and square waveforms.

HERE the article on electro-music.com

ixtern

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thx Grumble for all this info. It is very inspiring.

I am working on my synth using AD9833 but I'm rather using whole AD9833 modules from China as they are cheaper than chip alone from some suppliers.

I've attached the schematic of such module. Notice that this module version (there are two) has 200pF capacitor from output to ground what kills the signal on higher frequencies so I always desolder them. Nice feature is the 25 MHz clock separate output that can be used to synchronize other AD9833 modules (needs cutting the clock path on the "slave" modules).

AD9833_aliexpress_module2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  89.6 KB
 Viewed:  439 Time(s)

AD9833_aliexpress_module2.jpg

Grumble

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm a lucky guy: due to my work contacts I can get samples directly from Analog Devices, so they cost me nothing Very Happy
Page 1 of 1 [24 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Arduino
Jump to: