electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » G2 Patches - Completed » Audio In
Phase Distortion FX
Page 1 of 1 [11 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Tim Kleinert

Audio files: 7
G2 patch files: 236

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:46 am    Post subject: Phase Distortion FX
Subject description: (G2 implementation of a Logic plugin)
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi,

I'm no longer officially in the G2 club, but still get occasional PMs with questions etc.. And if it's an interesting subject and doable on the demo software, I'll have a go at it. Smile

Somebody asked me about this phase distortion insert effect in Logic two days ago, and since it's lacking in our G2 algorithm library and not hard to do, I knocked it together quickly.

Basically the circuit phase-modulates an incoming signal with an (optionally filtered) version of itself, thus creating a wealth of side-bands.

I don't know if the software plugin compensates for the unavoidable latency inherent in the design, but the G2 version unfortunately can't look into the future. Laughing

I made it as a true stereo effect residing in the FX section. Also, to maintain highest audio quality, there are two strategically placed "dummy" delay modules there to override the delay readout bug. (More about this fix here.) They can be deleted of course.

Note: At max "intensity" setting, the waveshaping clips when fed with signals hotter than -/+64 CU. In this case, just raise the MaxRange parameter a little and back the intensity back down until you get the same sonic result (but with a tad more latency).

Patched and tested on the demo software. Hope it works out there in the real world (whatever that means nowadays anyway Laughing).

cheers,
t

PhaseDistFX___TK.pch2
 Description:
Stereo phase distortion effect circuit; phase-modulates an incoming signal with an (optionally filtered) version of itself, thus creating a wealth of side-bands.

Download
 Filename:  PhaseDistFX___TK.pch2
 Filesize:  1.67 KB
 Downloaded:  3945 Time(s)

W.T.

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 11

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thank you very much Tim!

I will try it if I get home soon but I expect it will sounds great Very Happy

Tim Kleinert

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

W.T. wrote:
Thank you very much Tim!

I will try it if I get home soon but I expect it will sounds great Very Happy

Most welcome. Smile I however have no clue how it sounds on more complex material. Embarassed Laughing It was a PM request and I just built it in the demo according to my understanding of the plugin description, and then tested it with simple sine waves to make sure it worked right technically. I couldn't/didn't compare it with the original, as I don't use Logic.

Phase distortion of complex waveforms via using a short delay line buffer is a concept I'm familiar with. My additive wavetable complex waveshaping "monster-patch" does exactly that, in different ways (in conjunction with band-limited resampling to avoid inharmonic aliasing). But I never thought of of providing self-phase-modulation as an arbitrary effect, and actually have no clue Laughing what it sounds like when applied to more complex program material.
Electromagnetic Wave

G2 patch files: 38

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I don't know this plugin and I don't use Logic but I can confirm that your patch Tim is working good with other stuff than a sine. Very interesting again. Thanks!
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I implemented it as well from a description I found, without looking at this patch first (not for the G2 BTW). Funny thing is that I ended up without a pre-delay on the signal going to the filter .. will try that a next time.

It is a really nice effect I must say!

Did add some Envelope and a little random for filter cut-off frequency modulation. And then added a little distortion after.

Anyway, fun idea, and had not seen it anywhere before.

Tim Kleinert

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:
Funny thing is that I ended up without a pre-delay on the signal going to the filter ..

The modulator pre-delay offset is half the carrier buffer size. It made sense to do it this way in order to maintain correctly-aligned through-zero phase modulation of the signal with itself. Might well be a bit of "over-engineering" on my behalf. Embarassed Laughing

Another interesting add-on would be feedback of the output to the modulator path. Idea
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Tim Kleinert wrote:
It made sense to do it this way in order to maintain correctly-aligned through-zero phase modulation of the signal with itself.

Yes it made sense to me as well when I saw it, just had not thought about it ... now that I did I think it may be interesting to have that optional Smile

When there is some delay and the ingoing pitch changes it gives a bit of an onset effect on the new tone .. that was with a delay in the 20-30 ms range ... going out of the ' subtle area' a bit anyway.

Quote:
Another interesting add-on would be feedback of the output to the modulator path. Idea

Will try that too!

Tim Kleinert

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:
Yes it made sense to me as well when I saw it, just had not thought about it ...

How do you deal with incoming negative signal amplitudes if you don't have some kind of offset?
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

by converting the filter out signal from pos/neg to positive only .. level shifting .. which may not work when it resonates but then I attenuate the filter input.
W.T.

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 11

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

and yes it sounds great great for experimenting with al kinds of material running trough
Tim Kleinert

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yesterday I knocked it together in Reaktor for use in our productions (with some extra goodies thrown in Smile ).
And yes, I have to agree, it's a very nice and very useful processing tool, as it adds harmonics without compromising transients.
Page 1 of 1 [11 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » G2 Patches - Completed » Audio In
Jump to: