electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » General Discussion
Request: Review of E-mu 1616 (or 1820)
Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
jksuperstar

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 18

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 8:13 am    Post subject: Request: Review of E-mu 1616 (or 1820) Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Always trying to make my rig more portable, and in my current round of consolidation, I've been moving even more from external samplers to laptop-based construction. So I was looking at my audio system, and seeing what's been updated out there. Currrently, I have an Echo Layla24, which is very clean, 8ins & outs, and has a PCMCIA card, not USB or Firewire, for very low latencies.

But I saw this: the E-Mu 1616 & 1616m systems. Also PCMCIA based, but they have a DSP on board which can handle compressors, EQ, and effects with no CPU load. Also, it can dynamically create ASIO ports, so it will act as a hardware mixer. The DSP-based FX can be used as VST plugins also. And one very cool feature, it can port out audio to an external device, making you device a VST plugin...and it is possible to deal with the latencies associated with this, to make everything line up. Very nice.

Does anyone have this system (or the 1820(m), which is supposedly almost identical, though PCI card based)?? I looks like a greate performance oriented audio system...2x MIDI ports, digital & analog I/O, even turn-table inputs (no need for me, but I can see myself with a DJ using it).

Does it allow MIDI control (or some type of automation) of the PatchMix system? (Can I use a hardware MIDI slider to control faders in it?) How does it SOUND? I noticed the "m" versions have the same ADC's that the ProTools racks have...but are they as clean? I imagine the power supplies arrent as well kept as the ProTools systems. Does it sound like a good system, or like another soundblaster on steroids?

thnx, -- jk*

http://www.emu.com/products/product.asp?product=2302&category=754&maincategory=754&nav=spec
cebec

Audio files: 3
G2 patch files: 31

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've been using the EMU-1820m for about a year and I'll tell you what I can.

Previously, I used the Layla24 and was very satisfied with it's soundquality, stability and latency. However, I wanted to go to a mixerless (hardware, that is) setup and the Layla didn't really make this terribly easy. In that regard, the EMU is ideal. The PatchMix allows flexible routing with zero latency and with 67 bit processing, apparently (64 bit with 3 bit accumulator, according to an EMU rep). I haven't used the effects that much but from what I've heard, myself, and read, they're, at the very least, better than what you get bundled with a lot of sequencers and they don't impose any CPU overhead. Unfortunately, the PatchMix application is not MIDI controllable but that's a popular wishlist item and on my list, as well. I don't think there's anything technically preventing it; it may just be a matter of priority.

The sound quality is impressive on both the A/D and D/A. It's definitely not a Soundblaster on steroids. The DACs were AKM and Crystal's flasghips at release-time, and the opamps are of known good quality. There's more information on this, if you want to know more. The 11 page thread at RightMark's forum covers a lot of the technical details.

The TFPro preamps really aren't anything to write home about but they get the job done and have plenty of headroom and a low noise floor. One caveat: flipping the phantom power switch effects both preamps.

Again, the sound quality throughout is exceptional and I could hear, what I believe, is a marked improvement when I moved from the Layla to the EMU. RightMark's forum has various converter test results at various sample rates and Sound on Sound magazine has a very positive review available.

On the negative side, the drivers aren't quite as mature as they ought to be. There are a couple big, known bugs which have apparently been fixed in the upcoming 1.8 driver release. They mainly involves changing latencies on the fly. Also, and this is not a bug: you have to quit an application and restart it if you intend to go from 44.1 or 48 to 96 or 192 kHz. A small niggle that may or may not be addressed in future updates. Finally, the effects do no work at sample rates other than 44.1 or 48 kHz and channel strips cannot currently be configured as solely Mono channels, yet, with the exception of the two Hi-Z/Mic inputs.

I don't have a use for digital I/O right now but they're there if I need them and in relative abundance and a variety of standards. Analog I/O is software switchable from consumer to pro, by the way.

The RIAA preamped TT inputs have come in handy on a few occasions and the MIDI I/O works as advertised.

The build quality is very good. It's solid and attractive and knobs and jacks have a nice feel. The headphone amp is a nice bonus, too. Power is supplied via the PCs PSU internally, on the 1820m, though some DIYers have found a way to fashion a wall wart power supply to provide the 12v.

I really believe overall package provides excellent value and performance for the small outlay and, despite initially flaky drivers, I've stuck with it and have gotten a lot of enjoyment from it.

The user community is pretty large and there are some knowledgable people who frequent the unofficial forum. In addition, if you don't like the default PatchMix skin (who does!?) some users have created attractive alternatives that are easy to install.

I've thrown a lot at this soundcard in the last year and it's served me well. I have no substantial complaints other than those I already mentioned. I believe EMU is truly behind this line and they even have a couple of reps in the unofficial forum who respond to all the difficult questions that've been lobbed since last year. They do seem committed to cementing the line's reputation for being amazing bang for the buck without it making significant sacrifices.

Let me know if you have any other specific questions. I'll be happy to answer them.
jksuperstar

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Previously, I used the Layla24 and was very satisfied with it's soundquality, stability and latency. However, I wanted to go to a mixerless (hardware, that is) setup and the Layla didn't really make this terribly easy. In that regard, the EMU is ideal.

That is my exact situation. Having the "Hardware Mixer" in there is key, and makes this very performance friendly. I think of the DSP PowerFX, Proteus X, and Emulator X as just bonuses for the setup.

One specific question: Can the PatchMix be controlled via MIDI? ie- I'd like to use the Nord G2 interface to control the mixer if possible. This brings my portable rig down to a Nord G2, and a laptop w/ this interface. And, I won't have to reach for the mouse, yet still use the DSP (non-CPU) mixer! At the very least, I think ASIO2.0 allows for a program to control a mixer's settings (ie- Cubase or Live could grab control over those mixer settings), but I've never used that part of it.
cebec

Audio files: 3
G2 patch files: 31

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Unfortunately, the PatchMix doesn't yet allow MIDI control and I'm not sure of any workaround at the moment. It's high on many users' lists, including mine, and I hope we see this feature soon -- coupled with better metering and Mono channel configuration, it could be world class. As it stands, though, I can't really complain. It's helped cultivate a freedom and flexibility I've yet to exhaust.
jksuperstar

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks a bunch for all the info. I found the "unoffical emu" website, which has more of the info I've been looking for (most reviews are canned marketing ads from E-mu, or by some kid whose first sound card was USB).

So, thanks again. I'll have to meditate on this for a week before I decide to part with my Layla24 though. It's never faultered during my 4+ years with it, and it still sounds fantastic. I wonder what the sonic difference is between the "m" and the normal version, but I imagine it's subtle anyway, and the devil is in the details. So it might be worth the stretch.
Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » General Discussion
Jump to: