electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Q&D VCF Filter - Tim Escobedo -- cut off frequency
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
wax+wire

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 12:00 am    Post subject: Q&D VCF Filter - Tim Escobedo -- cut off frequency
Subject description: controlling the frequency range
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi all

I have built multiple (maybe 13 in total!) Voltage Controlled Filters based on Tim Escobedo and G Meredith's version of the Q&D filter design for a bunch of different modified and circuit bent CASIO SKs. Anyway, I always find the range not quite what I want. What part(s) of the circuit should I look at to increase the frequency range - both how low the cut off goes, and how high the frequencies are that are let through at the upper extreme.

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'd try to lower the 100 k CV related resistors to get more range (but leave some resistance, say 10 k minimal). When it won't go low enough anymore after that you could make the 0.01 µF (or 0.02 µF, depending on version) filter caps larger. Not sure if it would work, but it is what I would try.
elektrouwe

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

the LED is used as a voltage controlled "resistor" here.
the best range spreading of this "R_led" would be to drive it from a voltage source. Then R_led would change exponentially over many decades which is
what we want. BUT:
the CV series resistor of the LED drive is parallel to R_led for signals !
so reducing the 100k to small values will not help.
The solution is to replace the LED by 2 LEDs in series and connect the center of the LEDs to the center of the C's.
Now you can reduce the 100k CV-resistors to very small values and get
a wide almost expo. sweep range.
2 LEDs in series need a lot of CV. if you replace them by 1N4148 you can bring down CV
Cfish

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have used the filters you listed a few times my self.

Have used this one too. For an easy filter it isn't too bad.

Pretty much a PAIA 4700 low pass filter with a couple of mods

The 100k pot on the left is nice for manual control.

I used the 500k trim on the opamp feedback loop to get the gain right where I wanted it.

You can leave the opamp out and just use the voltage controlled low pass filter. Higher value caps lower the cutoff.

IMG_0542.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.11 MB
 Viewed:  483 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

IMG_0542.JPG

elektrouwe

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cfish wrote:

Have used this one too. For an easy filter it isn't too bad.

??? from interpreting the schematics, it can't sound too good :
- no resonance at all
- cut off frequency is fixed by 47k resistors and 6n8 caps
- CV is just "mixing in" a fixed cut off LP by slowly grounding the caps

I really would like to hear a sound demo, bcause I admit judging a filter just by schematics might not be a good idea Smile
Cfish

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Pretty much sounds like sweeping the tone knob on a guitar.

I however use it a lot. Usually with 3 octaves of square wave mixed, then sweep it with an inverted AD envelope signal.
elektrouwe

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cfish wrote:
Pretty much sounds like sweeping the tone knob on a guitar.

that's exactly what I've expected. For me it is not "moogish" enough to call it a VCLPF. I did a simulation meanwhile, also with some other simple filters, and will start a new thread about
Cfish

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think that's a great idea Elektrouwe. Can never have too many basic circuits to experiment with. Basic VCF schematics have not been as easy for me to find as some circuits are
sourcery

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:09 am    Post subject:  What a difference the two 1N4148 does instead of the LED! Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just wanted to say thank you for the tip on the 2 1N4148 diodes! I built it all three ways (the two on the schematics and then the lower schematics with the 2 1N4148s instead) and the result went from "meh" to "wow" Smile

Here is a video if you want to hear what it sounds like in the three different configurations: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLR1B6JqyNA

Thanks for sharing this information, the video refers/links to this post for any viewer who is interested in the subject.
elektrouwe

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:04 am    Post subject: Re: What a difference the two 1N4148 does instead of the LED! Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

sourcery wrote:
Just wanted to say thank you for the tip on the 2 1N4148 diodes!

you are welcome! Your feedback is the first and only one - funny, how long it takes for a simple "1 diode" improvement idea to make it into real world designs. Thanks for sharing the idea on youtube - I like your " DIY Modular in a week" series on your channel !
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: