electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Discussion » Schmooze
The Garden
Page 11 of 23 [557 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, ..., 21, 22, 23 Next
PHOBoS

Audio files: 705

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Very Happy

I almost left it at that but got one more plant. I have some space inside for another plant as long as it doesn't get too big and after looking around
for a bit I got a Haworthia limifolia. I just found out it is also called ' Fairy Washboard' dwarf
It's a succulent so it might survive a couple of years before I manage to kill it. Initially I picked a small single one but I noticed they had a couple
of larger ones which also had some new shoots and they were hardly more expensive. So I got one of those. I could probably seperate them and
plant them all out in individual pots.

2019 - Haworthia limifolia - 01.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  205.8 KB
 Viewed:  440 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

2019 - Haworthia limifolia - 01.jpg

2019 - Haworthia limifolia - 02.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  198.57 KB
 Viewed:  402 Time(s)

2019 - Haworthia limifolia - 02.jpg

Last edited by PHOBoS on Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
JovianPyx

Audio files: 224

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wow, those are very common here and I never knew the name, I always just called it a "striped cactus", though I think it's not a cactus, I think it's a succulent. It will shoot out a long thin stem and make little white flowers at the end.

Time flies like a banana.
Fruit flies when you're having fun.
BTW, Do these genes make my ass look fat?
corruptio optimi pessima
PHOBoS

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

common as in growing in the wild or as a house plant ?

There is a variety that has white ridges also know as zebra cactus, although it is indeed a succulent. I was intially looking at those
as they are very pretty but my eyes kept getting pulled to the green ones. Somehow they gave me a bit of a prehistoric jungle vibe.
Also a bit alien but succulents often have that. It also looks similar to aloe btw. but that can get a lot larger. I'd love to have a spiral
Aloe (Aloe polyphylla)
but haven't come across one yet and they can get pretty big.

I usually don't know the latin names either but if it's not properly labeled (the smaller plants usually aren't) I try to look it up. Makes
it easier to find information about it than using a common name which can vary a lot depending on the language.

I just seperated and repotted them. I don't know if they will all survive but they all had some roots so I think it's worth a shot.

btw. Scott, how are those magical beans doing ?

2019 - Haworthia limifolia - 03.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  425.06 KB
 Viewed:  417 Time(s)

2019 - Haworthia limifolia - 03.jpg

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
JovianPyx

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I doubt they are indigenous, but they are common outside garden plants. Since it never freezes here, there are a lot of succulents in peoples' gardens. Tons of jade plant. We have several that are 3 or more feet tall.

corruptio optimi pessima
PHOBoS

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

first flower on the Viola cornuta 'Yellow Perfection' and some photobombing aphids.
(I didn't resize it so you can look them right in the eyes)

2019 - Viola cornuta 'Yellow Perfection' - 01.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  3.25 MB
 Viewed:  433 Time(s)

2019 - Viola cornuta 'Yellow Perfection' - 01.jpg

JovianPyx

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You need some ladybugs Smile

corruptio optimi pessima
PHOBoS

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

yeah, ladybugs or parasitic wasps will probably appear at some time. I don't mind the aphids that much as long as they aren't decimating
my plants. Afterall they have to eat too to become food just like how bacon has to eat pig

The Belladonna seeds haven't been germinating yet and it might take some time but it's also a bit tricky. Apparently they need light to
germinate so I placed them on top of the soil but the top layer dries out pretty quickly even when covered with plastic. I still had a bunch
of seeds in my fridge though so I thought I might aswell take those out and see if they germinate placed between the damp coffeefilters
in a warmer spot. Well, I got a nice surprise as a bunch of them already have germinated Razz I picked 12 of each variety and placed
them on top of some soil and sprinkled a bit of dirt on top. Maybe I am finally going to get some deadly nightshades this year. (I can probably
only keep one of each though).

The Henbane seeds, which had already germninated, are doing good so far. Two of them didn't make it but that leaves 18 which is more than enough.

2019 - Atropa belladonna Lutea - 01.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  232.19 KB
 Viewed:  407 Time(s)

2019 - Atropa belladonna Lutea - 01.jpg

2019 - Atropa belladonna Turkmenistan - 01.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  229.81 KB
 Viewed:  410 Time(s)

2019 - Atropa belladonna Turkmenistan - 01.jpg

2019 - Hyoscyamus niger - 02.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  427.36 KB
 Viewed:  412 Time(s)

2019 - Hyoscyamus niger - 02.jpg

PHOBoS

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Some birds decided to grow a sunflower, at least I think that's what it is,
in the container with my Passiflora (not sure if that one is still alive btw),
so I repotted it. I wish they chose something smaller but I might have
a spot for it.

2019 - Sunflower - 01.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  215.64 KB
 Viewed:  410 Time(s)

2019 - Sunflower - 01.jpg

JovianPyx

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:46 pm    Post subject:
Subject description: Part of my Pot Garden
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here is a shot of part of my pot garden.

The 3 large plants are asparagus beans, also called yard long beans. The names come from the fact that the beans, cooked and eaten like any kind of "green bean" have a slight asparagus flavor and the pods can be literally almost a meter in length. They are pole beans which is why there is at the center top of the image you see string with a stone tied to it. The string is hanging from the top of a bamboo tripod with extensions that are about 3 meters tall. The beans will climb up the string and then climb up the extender bamboo poles. In the foreground is a semicircle of cilantro seedlings and behind the bean plants is a semicircle of radishes.

Pot garden... Smile

Not shown are the peppers because the picture was unusable. I have a jalapeno plant that survived over the winter and is sprouting new leaves and I've also a seedling pepper and while I know it's a spicy variety, I can't remember what it is called - but I will eat it. I also have another jalapeno seedling, but it is having trouble getting rid of the seed husk, so I may perform some kind of surgery to hopefully help it - but I know that's pretty iffy. Next time I should post an image of the orange tree which is in bloom now and about 1/2 of the blooms have formed pea size fruits. This year because of the rain, there are way more blooms and small fruit than in the past few years which was during a drought.

IMG_20190418_143128754.jpg
 Description:
One collection in my pot garden.
 Filesize:  5.32 MB
 Viewed:  383 Time(s)

IMG_20190418_143128754.jpg

corruptio optimi pessima
Cfish

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:48 pm    Post subject: Garden Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This is something I do sometimes over winter. It’s the end cuts from carrots and celery sprouted. The carrots really don’t regrow a carot, but carot greens are good to eat. The celery grows small stocks, but I also use the greens in salads. They are both just store bought variety’s from the grocery store.

And to PhoBos. Yes that is my small greenhouse. I use it to get my seeds started for my garden. I’m pretty much an eatable plant gardener.

D9989650-9680-4832-874F-10BDCF243C17.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.75 MB
 Viewed:  284 Time(s)

D9989650-9680-4832-874F-10BDCF243C17.jpeg

JovianPyx

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

From first to last:

An open blossom waiting for a bee and 2 newly formed oranges.

Several blossoms open and several blossoms not yet open and 2 new formed oranges.

Six new formed oranges.

A flowering branch of my avocado tree. Some flowers are open. These aren't very pretty flowers, but the fruit (which is technically a berry) is delicious. This is a hass avocado, the creamy kind (not stringy).

All of the green orange fruits shown are about 1/2 the size of a pea. These are navel seedless oranges.

IMG_20190418_152345654.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.28 MB
 Viewed:  260 Time(s)

IMG_20190418_152345654.jpg

IMG_20190418_152423653.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.04 MB
 Viewed:  247 Time(s)

IMG_20190418_152423653.jpg

IMG_20190418_152450667_TOP.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  874.8 KB
 Viewed:  241 Time(s)

IMG_20190418_152450667_TOP.jpg

IMG_20190418_152544797.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  793.42 KB
 Viewed:  270 Time(s)

IMG_20190418_152544797.jpg

corruptio optimi pessima
PHOBoS

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

@scott: ah there are those magic beans, looking good Very Happy
I don't think I've ever seen it done with a rock on a string, nice idea. Usually the strings seems to be secured to either the pot or
something else. Nice blossoms, do they have an orange smell ? Never saw them when the fruits are just forming.

@Chris: nice healthy looking greens. Didn't know you could eat the greens of a carrot, but I generally dont eat them to begin with.
There's a lot you can regrow from vegetable 'waste', apparently even potato peelings can work.

I've just sown some morning glories (Ipomoea lobata & Convolvulus tricolor) and the rest of the Passiflora incarnata seeds I had left
as a backup in case the plants didn't survive. Now that we are getting some warmer temperatures they might start growing again.
I just noticed that some of the Belladonna seeds I had sown earlier are also starting to sprout now and I've spotted some very tiny
seedlings appearing in the planter in which I've sown the Nicotiana 'Tinkerbell F2 Hybrid'.

JovianPyx

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The blossoms have a strong enough scent that one can smell it several feet away from the tree. It's a typical orange blossom smell which I find pretty. Around these parts there is orange blossom honey sold which is quite delicious. We had a butterfly swarm here a few weeks ago and the tree seemed to always have 15 to 20 or so on it getting nectar and pollinating along with honey bees. Can't wait to get mature oranges this year since the drought is over I expect the oranges to be juicier and hopefully also sweeter. Sure looks like there will be a lot of them.

The string idea is a new one I thunked up (but might not be an original new idea), I had to wrap the string up high when it was super windy. Since the beans will essentially pull on it for support, it should remain straight and with three plants, it should become a central "stalk" support as the bean plants grow and strengthen. When I get bean pods, I will post images of those. The only giant will be me...

Also trying to start some cherry tomato seedlings. I love those little snack fruits. Since I use no poisons, this should all be healthy.

corruptio optimi pessima
AlanP

Audio files: 41

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If you like butterflies, I suggest growing some swan plants Smile The only problem then is too many monarch butterflies!
JovianPyx

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

AlanP wrote:
If you like butterflies, I suggest growing some swan plants Smile The only problem then is too many monarch butterflies!

I live in a major Monarch butterfly pathway. They come here every year on their way north from Mexico. We also get a lot of swallowtails.

corruptio optimi pessima
PHOBoS

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

just some photos flower

2019 - bird & bee corner - 03.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  315.17 KB
 Viewed:  214 Time(s)

2019 - bird & bee corner - 03.jpg

2019 - Digitalis - 03.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  282.01 KB
 Viewed:  232 Time(s)

2019 - Digitalis - 03.jpg

2019 - Convallaris majalis - 02.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  239.53 KB
 Viewed:  239 Time(s)

2019 - Convallaris majalis - 02.jpg

2019 - Fuchsia - 03.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  261.5 KB
 Viewed:  223 Time(s)

2019 - Fuchsia - 03.jpg

2019 - Aquilegia 'Silver Queen' - 01.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  162.65 KB
 Viewed:  225 Time(s)

2019 - Aquilegia 'Silver Queen' - 01.jpg

Cfish

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wow. Looking awesome. It’s still a little cold here at night so things aren’t taking off yet.
PHOBoS

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Very Happy

2019 - Aquilegia 'Silver Queen' - 02.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  208.01 KB
 Viewed:  220 Time(s)

2019 - Aquilegia 'Silver Queen' - 02.jpg

2019 - Lamiastrum galeobdolon 'Herman's Pride' - 01.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  257.63 KB
 Viewed:  198 Time(s)

2019 - Lamiastrum galeobdolon 'Herman's Pride' - 01.jpg

2019 - Convallaris majalis - 03.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  138.36 KB
 Viewed:  199 Time(s)

2019 - Convallaris majalis - 03.jpg

2019 - woodlands - 04.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  366.95 KB
 Viewed:  205 Time(s)

2019 - woodlands - 04.jpg

2019 - Sempervivum - 08.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  442.79 KB
 Viewed:  197 Time(s)

2019 - Sempervivum - 08.jpg

blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Lily of the valey :-)

All them plants look pretty happy!

JovianPyx

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This morning I took my dog out at 04:30, but I took a flashlight and a pair of diagonal wire cutters with me. I went over to my bean, radish and cilantro pot which has been shredded by what I believed to be earwigs and sure enough, I found and cut in half about 6 earwigs. I looked on the internet about how to get rid of or defend against these plant maulers and there were some ways that used soapy water, some with vinegar, some with isopropanol and one with boric acid (toxic to pets). I didn't like any of that. Then I found someone who said that smearing patroleum jelly on the outside of the container can prevent earwigs from crawling up the side. I will try that since it's non toxic. I'll use a good amount, not super thin as the poster didn't say how much/thick it should be. I figure too much would work and there's no downside.

Wish me luck...

corruptio optimi pessima
PHOBoS

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Good luck scott!
I don't think I've ever had a problem with earwigs, it's just aphids over here. (waiting for the cavalry to arrive)

Blue Hell wrote:
All them plants look pretty happy!

oh I have some not so happy plants too, but they don't make for pretty pictures Embarassed
And although I am used to plants dying it is always a bit depressing but I think I am getting a bit better at keeping them alive.

It's mostly in the 2 large planters that have the Zinnias, Dahlias, African Daisies and some other plants. Actually I think the Zinnias are all dead
now,. they dried to a crisp and I don't know why, probably something with the soil. One that I hadn't transplanted flowered on my moms birthday
so I gave her that one and it is still looking nice (I think I have a photo on my phone). I did sow some new one though, maybe they do better.
The Snapdragons in one of the planters which was looking great earlier this year isn't looking so great anymore. It's weird because it has been
growing in it for over a year now and was apparently happy. I am not sure if I added any fertilizer, I think I did but after it was starting to look less
healthy to see if that would help. Also some of the morning glories that were happy with the sunny weather are clearly not enjoying the lower
temperatures but considering I planted quite a lot of seeds more might sprout later and I do have more seeds left.

Speaking of sprouting,. Daturas are sprouting everywhere Twisted Evil They always do but it seems to be a lot more than usual this year.
No luck yet with the purple ones but the Belladonnas seem to be doing ok.

Here's another plant that seems to be happy (just spotted some datura seedlings on the photo).
I still have no clue what it is although the leafs look somewhat familiar. (let's see if I can find out)

2019 - whatareyou - 01.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  351.19 KB
 Viewed:  200 Time(s)

2019 - whatareyou - 01.jpg

PHOBoS

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hmm maybe it's a Geranium robertianum (Herb-Robert geranium)
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

it made me think of a geranium yes ...
JovianPyx

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This morning I found one earwig on the dirt (killed it) and one on the side of the pot trying to get past the vaseline (killed it). I used up almost all of what I had to make a 2 inch wide band around the pot. This seems better (one in the dirt instead of 6) though that might be just randomness, but I think I'll buy I big jar and try to cover a lot more of the pot. It looked like the new growth on the beans is less damaged, so perhaps it really did help. Another solution I thought of is to get an oil change pan and sit the pot in that and partially fill it with motor oil - as a motor oil moat. I'd bet they can't get past that. I just read that they have "rarely used wings" and I have not seen them fly, but since they are nocturnal, that's hard to do.

corruptio optimi pessima
Grumble

Audio files: 30

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Why would you want to get rid of earwigs?

Quote:
Earwigs are nocturnal feeders that dine on other insects, as well as vegetation like moss, fungi and lichens. Additionally, they do eat decaying organic material — think mulch or piles of leaves — and may also feed on greasy food items that may be left out in the kitchen.

They look like useful insects to me...

Page 11 of 23 [557 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, ..., 21, 22, 23 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Discussion » Schmooze
Jump to: