electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » How-tos » Visualizations - VJ etc
Which camera to use...
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
DES

Audio files: 8

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:05 am    Post subject: Which camera to use... Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm curious as to what cameras people are using to create videos for use on YouTube, Vimeo, etc. I know you can spend $1000's of dollars on movie studio quality but that is far from what I'm looking to purchase.... I know some people use their smart phones too. I have an iPhone 5 but only have 16 gig of memory most of which is taken up with pictures of the grandkids Smile Would like to keep under $500 if possible.

What I'm thinking of doing is instructional and performance videos up to 30 minutes. I have Vegas for editing. HD would be nice as well as the standard video formats like MOV, MP4 (MPEG4), AVI, WMV, FLV, 3GP, etc. As for audio I could record the audio to the DAW and camera then sync them up during editing.

Thoughts?

AlanP

Audio files: 41

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've been thinking about this, too -- my GoPro is high-res, but there's no viewfinder, so I only find out if things were in shot after all is said and done :/
LFLab

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thought about this too, and figured I could just get a cheap digicam. But alas, you need a pretty serious one for it to be equipped with a line input.
In the end, I also needed a proper still camera, so I went with a Fujifilm X30, which can record 1080p film, and has a an mic input. That is on 2.5mm jack, and obviously it is for a dynamic microphone, not linelevel, so that's something I still need to arrange. So haven't done a video with it (hell of a camera though).

There's also an Alesis unit, and I recently came across a Tascam unit, both have simpler optics, but line level inputs, so pretty convenient.
Curious as to what other people are using.

PS. bought my X30 second hand, and it was something like 250 euros, so below 500$.
Grumble

Audio files: 30

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I am using my Samsung Mobile phone, capable of HD recording (1920x1080)
The only complaint is the sound quality (well.. the lack of it)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26_WCDsnTv8
For stability I use a goose neck holder like this?

holder.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  13.86 KB
 Viewed:  10661 Time(s)

holder.JPG

blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

And also I think you can buy external memory for iThingies?
DES

Audio files: 8

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think it was either Samson or Zoom had a video recorder iirc...I'll need to check into it. I thought about the phone option but mine doesn't have the memory (I think ) to do it right. The audio it would record - or that recorded by a different camera - would be sync'd to the DAW audio, so camera audio quality is not a concern. I found out a coworker is a real photography enthusiast...he showed be a Panasonic Lumix GX7 and it was awesome (as far as being a camera...we didn't talk video much). Its discontinued now being replaced by the GX8 (at nearly $1k !) but used the GX7 seems to be around $400 +/- . That gooseneck holder looks pretty cool. I probably should start playing around with the iStuff so I can get a better feel for what I need.
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » How-tos » Visualizations - VJ etc
Jump to: