electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » NM Classic (NM1 or G1)
Beta testers wanted for Nomad 0.4; A running build on macOS!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Moderators: Nord Modular Editors
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Airell

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:23 am    Post subject: Beta testers wanted for Nomad 0.4; A running build on macOS! Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Edit 2019-12-12 by Blue Hell :: as of this date there is a new Nomad version publicly available :: http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-71451.html :: I'm going to close this thread, for comments on the new version please start a new topic.

- - - - - - - -

Hello fellow Nord Modular (classic / G1) owners,

After a hibernation period of more than a decade, I thought it was time to revive the Nomad editor for the Nord Modular (classic). A short introduction: I created a GUI for the Nord Modular more than 15 years ago and in 2005 I gave my code to the guys who combined it with their project and created nmedit and later omad. Jan was also part of the nmedit project back then. After all this time I still feel a bit connected to those projects, but I’m aware that probably 0% of my original code is still intact. The only thing they kept was the name Nomad I came up with Wink . When I saw NM’s were sold because of more macOS issues lately, I decided to try the unthinkable, make Nomad work again!

I have forked the 12 year old Nomad project on Github and have been working on a build with the main focus of getting things working again on macOS. Together with the help of Jan, WE DID IT! We have a working version for macOS again!

Now we are looking for a few beta testers. The focus now is make it runnable on macOS, but Windows or Linux users are welcome too of course.

If you want to test builds for us, that would be great, but there are some constraints (for Mac):
- The current beta build has not been tested on macOS Catalina as we have hardware issues (no 64bit drivers for our midi hardware yes)
- You need to be willing to fiddle around with Apple’s Audio Midi Setup / MIDI Studio. A 'virtual' midi device within Nomad will be created which is used in the Editor. Instructions will follow.
- It’s not ‘click and play’, you need to open the .app package and browse to the Nomad.jar file.
- There might be other issues with the Java/macOS combination, that's where these tests are for.

Please apply with the following information in a PM to me:
- OS brand and version; i.e. Mac 10.14 or Windows 10 or even Linux (Linux is not tested at all).
- Java version; i.e. Oracle, OpenJDK, 8, 9 ... 13.
- Midi hardware brand/type and driver version (not required, but handy info).

Good to know:
- The build right now is tested on macOS and Windows Java 8, update 202 (Oracle’s commercially last free version), but others might work (i.e. OpenJDK).
- The focus of this beta period is stability on macOS, the code base is still the same as ten years ago. Enhancements or requests will be noted, but not worked on yet.
- Catalina might still be an issue...
- Some hiccups in real-time communication have been detected so far, knob rotations and lights are not always reflected in Nomad.

I hope you are as thrilled as we are!

Regards,
Airell (Ian) and Blue Hell (Jan). Very Happy
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ah there it is Exclamation Great Cool

Thank you for dusting it off Ian.

Some pics to illustrate the virtual MIDI port thingie.

midi_studio.png
 Description:
this is how my MIDI ports look in MIDI studio (Utilities/Audio MIDI setup.app)
 Filesize:  75.81 KB
 Viewed:  220 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

midi_studio.png

ports.png
 Description:
These are the virtual ports created by Nomad, watch the CoreMIDI4J prefix - those are the ones to be used
 Filesize:  93.91 KB
 Viewed:  227 Time(s)

ports.png

nomad.png
 Description:
And this has been running without loosing contact for well over a week now
 Filesize:  615.06 KB
 Viewed:  227 Time(s)

nomad.png

Bambrose

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This is excellent news !
Thank you. I am still on an old version of Mac OSX (10.10) in no small part due to the desire to keep my Nord Modular going. This allows me to consider upgrading !!
I'll PM with system details. Happy to help with Beta testing if I can
Airell

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Bambrose wrote:
This is excellent news !
Thank you. I am still on an old version of Mac OSX (10.10) in no small part due to the desire to keep my Nord Modular going. This allows me to consider upgrading !!
I'll PM with system details. Happy to help with Beta testing if I can

Hi Bambrose,

That would be great!
Don't upgrade your 10.10 yet, I will PM you a link to the new beta .app with a short instruction how to start.

Ian.
Bambrose

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Roger that. Thanks Ian
Airell

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I took Nomad 0.4 out of beta:
http://electro-music.com/forum/post-442760.html
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Moderators: Nord Modular Editors
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » NM Classic (NM1 or G1)
Jump to: