electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » electro-music.com » electro-music festivals
Kutztown U. (eastern PA) EM workshops in planetarium June?
Page 1 of 2 [32 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2 Next

Whick weekends in June 2020 work for you
All (5-7,12-14,19-21,26-28)
60%
 60%  [ 3 ]
5-7 only
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
12-14 only
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
19-21 only
20%
 20%  [ 1 ]
26-28 only
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Some other combination: Reply to post.
20%
 20%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 5

Acoustic Interloper

Audio files: 89

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:44 am    Post subject: Kutztown U. (eastern PA) EM workshops in planetarium June?
Subject description: Poll for dates, call for workshop proposals
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I am nearing retirement so, this may be the last one at KU Planetarium, but, here goes:

I want to host a series of electro-music workshops and evening performances coming out of those workshops at the Kutztown University Planetarium in June 2020. Unlike the regular EM events, this will be modeled after the workshops such as the Zero-Input Mixer workshops that I have led in the past. I am calling for proposals for workshop leaders/topics. If you want to submit a workshop proposal, submit it on this thread, or via a PM to Acoustic Interloper here, or via email to the address posted on my university page.

I need to reserve the planetarium and another room in the building for workshops to run concurrently, tentatively 10-12 for one pair of workshops, 1:30-3:30 for another pair, 4-6 for another. That's six in a day. If we schedule 50 minutes per performance, including setup/tear down, then performances would run 7-12 PM. I am thinking Saturday & Sunday, but if I get enough good workshop submissions, I might consider Friday, Saturday, & Sunday.

1. Take the poll for preferred weekend in June. I need this by end of February at the latest, so I can grab the rooms.

Code:

June 2020       
Su Mo Tu We Th Fr Sa 
    1  2  3  4  5  6 
 7  8  9 10 11 12 13 
14 15 16 17 18 19 20 
21 22 23 24 25 26 27 
28 29 30

2. If you want to propose a workshop/performance, base it on the above time constraints and your experience at EM events with workshops. Plan on announcing it here, after I accept it, and anywhere else you want. Not all need to use the planetarium or its projector, because we have some excellent visual artists who can do visuals for you if you prefer.

The workshops need to be planned & prepared well enough that a 2 hour workshop can lead to a ~40 minute performance that night. If you propose and I accept, organizing the workshop is your responsibility. Only half of of the workshops can be in the planetarium. I will have a sound system set up in the other room, and there will be a projector. All performances will be in the planetarium.

I have a new sound system to set up the days before, will use 6 1000-watt amplified PA speakers + a subwoofer. A study of that system is here PDF or here HTML. I will go with 6 rather than 8. Better spacing, keep 2 back as spares.

Specs on the planetarium projector are in this EM thread from the June 2015. Nothing has changed about the projector. The sound system in that thread is not the one we'll use.

I have had good results using Live's circular, 6-speaker surround panner with the speakers we will use. I'll have configs on a Motu box so you can feed the house 6 channels + subwoofer via 1/4" cables into a snake, or simple stereo pair 1/4" and I can route it in the Motu. Custom spatial sound requires you to give me up to 7 cables into the snake. I'll do another Motu mix to the subwoofer that's take 6 signals. The house "mixer" will be a Motu 896mk3 hybrid controlled by software on my laptop. We had clipping problems with my no-compressor analog mixer in June 2015. This will eliminate that.

In summary:

1. Tell me date constraints ASAP.
2. If you want to submit a workshop proposal, submit it on this thread, or via a PM to Acoustic Interloper here, or via email to the address posted on my university page.

I'll be looking for setup volunteers and sound system volunteers for a day before the first workshop. I'll work on getting discounted dorm rooms like June 2015, and there is a brand new Hampton Inn just down the street, actually closer than the dorms. Maybe I can get a discount out of them.

That's enough for now. head banging monitor

Dale

vertical_map.png
 Description:
Map from the June 2015 event with arrows and such.
 Filesize:  1.54 MB
 Viewed:  372 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

vertical_map.png

MusicMan11712

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sounds like a wonderful opportunity!! Since I no longer drive (except locally), I won't be able to help celebrate your pending retirement send-off electro-music fest either as a contributor or as a spectator. Your proposed plans for the event sound great!!! If you get anyone that's coming down from my part of the world, maybe I can get a ride or something.

Dr. Steve
shivasongster

Audio files: 20

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:41 am    Post subject: Workshops suggestion Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey Dale,

I'd like to suggest a VCV Rack workshop. This was well received at the last Neemfest.

As for dates, the one constraint I see on the scene is an electro-acoustic event in NY that runs the June 14-21.

Let me know what you think.

rdorsche

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

DANG, Jeremy, that conflict is a shame.
That's the same weekend (June 19-21) I would suggest.
The runner up suggestion is the 26-28, BUT I also would note that anyone taking the following week off for family reasons (which is very high and very likely) would make Friday June 26 not-cool in terms of family & work schedules.
Those are the two weekends I suggest. Any earlier, you hit a high school grad issue.

If it were two-day? Go Sat & Sun.
If it were three nights + two days, that's even better. Friday night - Sunday night.
I work all day Friday and Sat to 1230PM so I have a time conflict right there for me personally.

I could do a random workshop on midi-triggered video, or something on Ableton Live. Or specific synth/topic focus. Wide-open for a topic, if I can attend.
~Robert Dorschel
shivasongster

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:14 pm    Post subject: Possible conflict dates
Subject description: Announcing the New York City Electroacoustic Music Festival

Just for those interested...

Announcing the New York City Electroacoustic Music Festival
June 14-21, 2020
https://nycemf.org/

Keep in mind, I am just stating that this is a potential conflict for some folks from our community. I am *still* waiting for a response on a workshop submission for them, but that doesn't necessarily mean I couldn't do both. Just wanted Dale to be aware (though I am sure he was already).

Acoustic Interloper

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Bill Fox wrote on FB (I need to re-post here so I can keep track of these): "My best guess is that I'll be on vacation the 19th through the 28th, though it's too soon to know for sure. I'm available on weekends before this time period. After this this time period, I'm available 24/7 for about three weeks before I go back to work."

Howard planned to talk with Bill last night.

I cannot do after June. Likely travel in July, other priorities in August.

That would put it at June 13th - 14th OR 6th - 7th, assuming two days.

Jeremy, when will you know about NYC, and what days you'll be going?

One other issue: I had several comments about "Do better marketing" in the feedback after the June 2015 event. Nobody comes to Kutztown in the summer. Students won't even come back to play their pieces. You need bonus points to get significant student attendance, and I have no time for this during semester. Only a few faculty who have performed there in local evening events RSVP'd that they were coming for Princeton Laptop Orchestra on December 2. (PLOrk postponed due to snow in the forecast, and they are not getting back to me on re-scheduling, so I don't think that is happening.). If somebody wants to be the marketing department, after we have the workshops listed, that's great. The event will be free, and dorm rooms will be cheap for the over-nighters. I guess I will have to create a FB event at some point, for marketing. But, I would not expect a big audience.

shivasongster

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:08 am    Post subject: Scheduling Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Dale,

Please select a date that is the best for the group - regardless of NYCEMF. I wrote to them to get an update and they said they won't be responding to their potential participants until early March.

As for marketing, I can get the word out to some of the Philly niche artist groups that are not typically part of the EM crew. If there is a flyer or post card, I'd be willing to put up some around the city in some key places.

pyxl8r

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:43 am    Post subject: June 13th is the Cosmic Streamfest Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The new Cosmic Streamfest (a live streaming 12-hour e-m concert) is Saturday, June 12th, so you’ll lose a bit of participation if it’s the same weekend.
OmbientMike

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:14 pm    Post subject: I'm in
Subject description: I'll do a workshop even

I'm in.... and I can do a workshop on "Advanced Sequencing techniques on modular synths"

Listen to my weekly FM radio show called Music With Space on 103.3FM in NJ or on the web at www.wprb.com each week on Friday's fromt 11pm EST to 2am EST
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'll come on any date; I took the poll. I'll do a workshop but the title still is allusive. To celebrate your retirement beer I'd like to do an electro-banjo duet with you.

banana party time! banana

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
shivasongster

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:16 am    Post subject: Update from Dale Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

FYI - I followed up with Dale last week to see if this was still on, and he said due to a number of factors, it is not happening.
Acoustic Interloper

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Update from Dale Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

shivasongster wrote:
FYI - I followed up with Dale last week to see if this was still on, and he said due to a number of factors, it is not happening.

Jeremy, as the saying goes, I need to sh*t or get off the pot. There hasn't been a lot of response, so I am leaning towards a low key, "Let's hang out in the planetarium for two days, work out some stuff in the afternoons, and play in the evenings", mostly for us, not for anybody else. Doors will be open and free, but I am thinking more along the lines of just hanging out & playing. Give me a week to pick a weekend.

Also, Jeremy, has your NYC event driven any preference for you?

laura woodswalker

Audio files: 18

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Scheduling Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

shivasongster wrote:
Dale,

Please select a date that is the best for the group - regardless of NYCEMF. I wrote to them to get an update and they said they won't be responding to their potential participants until early March.

As for marketing, I can get the word out to some of the Philly niche artist groups that are not typically part of the EM crew. If there is a flyer or post card, I'd be willing to put up some around the city in some key places.

Are you looking for people to do workshops, sets, or just come & attend?
I'm doing the Cosmic Streamfest on the 13th...might be Ok with coming out for a day later in June. I couldn't give a workshop though, unless people wanted to learn Visuals/Resolume 101.

shivasongster

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:05 pm    Post subject: Week preference Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Dale, based on our email dialog I had already taken this off my calendar. It can go back on, but of course timing is everything.

Porchfest in Philly is now on the radar for June 6, so that will likely be a conflict for me.

The rest of the month is open, and I have still not hear back from the NYC event. They said it might not be until March.

PS: The EM forum is very hard to read on mobile, and not a great way to reach me for critical scheduling. Email always much better and immediate.

Voskhod02

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I live on another continent so coming is sort of unrealistic for me, but I do hope it'll be possible to watch replays and videos of that festival!
Acoustic Interloper

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Am shooting for June 20 & 21, will post in detail after I get confirmation on the rooms. I have re-sent the request to the director, will stay on top of it. Will post more here when I know.
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That weekend is fine for me and hanging out is cool too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Acoustic Interloper

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:26 pm    Post subject:
Subject description: June 20 & 21 are ON!

June 20 & 21 it is! I have the room reserved. Will post details soon. For now I'll say that the plan is to have informal workshops by whomever wants to run one during the morning / afternoon, and then sit around and play them out until perhaps midnight. So, this is not a conventional electro-music "bring your own band / tunes" arrangement. The intent is loosely guided ensemble improvisation, where the "guides" are figured out in workshops that day.

I guess we should try to nail down "what day is what workshop?" for people who can make only 1 day, but unlike June 2015's tight schedule, I want to keep this fluid.

I am going to try to get a second room in the same building with white board projector & the Roland keyboard amps that I brought to many EM jam room setups, for workshops that don't need the dome.

My workshops:
Live's/Max's Surround panner for the 6 1000 watt amplified speakers on the first day.
No-input Mixer in that second room on the second day (doesn't need dome)

I'll promote this somewhat on FB, feel free to pass the word. It's all free, and evening performances will be free & open to public, but I am not counting on high attendance from the Kutztown community. This is basically a chance to hang out & play music in this space with these new speakers. If I can get a sabbatical in spring 2022, I probably won't retire until May 2023. If not, perhaps sooner.

Oh, I'll work on getting cheap dorm rooms. Rooms won't be free this time. That $900 grant is paying for a replacement bulb for the projector this year. Will post more later.

Dale
Cool

blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

june 20 seems a likely solstice streaming event candi-date - maybe we can combine things radio wise?
shivasongster

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:17 am    Post subject: VCV Rack Workshop Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've set aside the dates and still plan to attend to do a VCV Rack workshop. I'm still pretty excited about this platform and have continued to learn and expand what I'm doing.

The format will be informal, similar to NEEM last year. If you want to come with a laptop to follow along with examples, that's cool. I'll have plenty of patches/techniques to review. Who knows... buy then version 2.0 might be out, so anything's possible.

If you aren't already familiar with VCV Rack, download it free here:

https://vcvrack.com/

Acoustic Interloper

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:
june 20 seems a likely solstice streaming event candi-date - maybe we can combine things radio wise?

Been thinking about that, Jan. The wireless connection in the room goes through a couple levels of address translation, but I think we've done it before. I'll test out my 8088 port well in advance, also will need to mix the spatial audio down to stereo. Thanks, Jan!

I'll record & post the whole weekend as well.

Also, I am adding this to my plans
Workshop on processed acoustic instruments
I have been doing such things for a long time, and am recruiting some locals who are not electro-music veterans, but do play acoustic instruments. If we get too many workshops for the schedule, I'll combine the spatial thingy with the ZIM or this one.

Acoustic Interloper

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Voskhod02 wrote:
I live on another continent so coming is sort of unrealistic for me, but I do hope it'll be possible to watch replays and videos of that festival!

We'll record and possibly live stream some of the sets on EM radio, but I don't have the gear or bandwidth to record video myself, and the videos tend to be rather dark.

Acoustic Interloper

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: I'm in
Subject description: I'll do a workshop even

OmbientMike wrote:
I'm in.... and I can do a workshop on "Advanced Sequencing techniques on modular synths"

Workshop noted. thanks

Acoustic Interloper

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: June 13th is the Cosmic Streamfest Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

pyxl8r wrote:
The new Cosmic Streamfest (a live streaming 12-hour e-m concert) is Saturday, June 12th, so you’ll lose a bit of participation if it’s the same weekend.

Ken wrote over on FB:
Quote:

cool! On my calendar! Maybe I’ll think about doing a DIY visuals workshop, if there’s any interest in that.

and I replied
Quote:

Ken, there is interest! Also, at this point I am the only person signed up to do viz accompaniment, and I certainly don't have enough material or bandwidth for 2 days. Do you want to sign up for some of that? Also, as I recall, Laura Woodswalker has done some viz accompaniment in the past. Laura? The projector specs are sprinkled in here. Nothing has changed:
http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-63955.html

Am tied up in course prep, hope to spend part of spring break after March 11 making a draft schedule of workshops. Some people may want to come for only 1 day, so at least I need to sort out the dates.

Acoustic Interloper

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: Scheduling Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

laura woodswalker wrote:

Are you looking for people to do workshops, sets, or just come & attend?
I'm doing the Cosmic Streamfest on the 13th...might be Ok with coming out for a day later in June. I couldn't give a workshop though, unless people wanted to learn Visuals/Resolume 101.

Laura, see previous reply to Ken. In addition to performing, do you want to do some visual accompaniment for sets?

As noted above, I am hoping for a relaxed weekend, with the workshops being setting up ideas/themes/mechanisms for themed improvisation sets in the evenings.

Back to school work. head banging monitor

Page 1 of 2 [32 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » electro-music.com » electro-music festivals
Jump to: