electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
  host / artist show at your time
today> Modulator ESP Adventures In Sound
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » WREN
On Wren's interface
Page 1 of 1 [13 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
stelpa

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:40 am    Post subject:  On Wren's interface Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

First of all, thanks so much for the amazing free software! It's really impressive. Been really enjoying checking out Wren, but last night actually started to get a headache from trying to read the super-tiny controls and labels.

It doesn't help that I'm on a laptop with a kind of small display, but I see others have also requested a zoom-able interface. Are there any updates on the possibility of this?

Otherwise, as things are now, are there any workarounds people have found to being able to use Wren with a less tiny patching interface? So far I have tried using the built-in Windows magnifier (works, but everything is very blurry) and DPI scaling (which makes everything blurry + for some reason makes patch wires invisible).

Would appreciate others suggestions, thanks for reading Smile
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi stelpa, and welcome to the forum.

Yeah scaling will make things blurry, as almost everything is bitmap based (and not vector based). It would be a lot of work to change this, and also I did some experiments with vector based drawing, but the Delph FMX controls seem to be unsuitable - as in being very very slow, at least for what I did with them.

Would it help to have pop windows for inputs/outputs (and maybe displays)? they now are on controls only .. I think it would be possible to have a user settable font for the popup windows.

stelpa

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:
Hi stelpa, and welcome to the forum.

Yeah scaling will make things blurry, as almost everything is bitmap based (and not vector based). It would be a lot of work to change this, and also I did some experiments with vector based drawing, but the Delph FMX controls seem to be unsuitable - as in being very very slow, at least for what I did with them.

Would it help to have pop windows for inputs/outputs (and maybe displays)? they now are on controls only .. I think it would be possible to have a user settable font for the popup windows.

Hey, thanks so much for the quick response! Very Happy

Yeah, bitmaps are kinda limited that way - though it'd be cool if you could at least do a 2x/3x integer upscale somehow. Though like you say, vectors would be ideal but I understand that'd be a big undertaking.

Having mouseover tooltips with custom font/size would make a big difference for usability! Sounds pretty great to me Smile
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

stelpa wrote:
Having mouseover tooltips with custom font/size would make a big difference for usability! Sounds pretty great to me :)

Okay - I will look into that.

stelpa

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:
stelpa wrote:
Having mouseover tooltips with custom font/size would make a big difference for usability! Sounds pretty great to me Smile

Okay - I will look into that.

Awesome ^_^ Thanks again for being so responsive, and for the amazing software - it's so fun just to experiment and explore!
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've looked into it, and it is doable, got a proof of concept working with an elephant sized red font .. just needs some work now to make it user controllable, nothing too much it seems ... soo ... stay tuned & watch this space Exclamation

I think it is a good ideo to have .. had been pondering hints on connectors for myself a while ago already .. as I sometimes have to look into the source code to remember what some connectors do ... and getting the font user configurable just makes sense to me.

The reason for everything being so small is ... I don't want things to scroll .. so every useless pixel I can get out .. gets out ...

blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have made a pre-relase implementing the above mentioned.

For the details see https://bluehell.nl/wren/#changes around 2021-04-10.

To get the pre-release use https://bluehell.nl/wren/wren.exe

For how to use a pre-release see : https://bluehell.nl/wiekietje/pmwiki.php/Wren/PreRelease

wakyct

Audio files: 12

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cool jan, I'll check that out this weekend.

stelpa, I feel you on the tiny interface, I think I went through the same steps as you, trying the magnifer, etcetera. Eventually, I guess I got used to it. Adjusting the font size of the module text (in general setup) and thickening the wire size (in the top UI bar) helped somewhat. I might have one advantage in that my laptop's resolution is quite low, 1366x768.
stelpa

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:
I have made a pre-relase implementing the above mentioned.

For the details see https://bluehell.nl/wren/#changes around 2021-04-10.

To get the pre-release use https://bluehell.nl/wren/wren.exe

For how to use a pre-release see : https://bluehell.nl/wiekietje/pmwiki.php/Wren/PreRelease

Awesome work, this makes a huge difference in Wren's usability, thanks so much!

The only bug I've found is that the mouseover box for help with images gets cut off prematurely, see the attached image to get what I mean.

Also, TY Wak for the tip about wire size, this also helps a bit Smile

Untitled.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  40.2 KB
 Viewed:  5606 Time(s)

Untitled.png

blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ah yes .. that window has a fixed amount of pixels reserved for the text below the image .. which of course only worked for a fixed font ... made a bug report for it .. hope to fix it soon.

Thanks for reporting it.

And I'm glad it helps you use Wren Cool

stelpa

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:
Ah yes .. that window has a fixed amount of pixels reserved for the text below the image .. which of course only worked for a fixed font ... made a bug report for it .. hope to fix it soon.

Thanks for reporting it.

And I'm glad it helps you use Wren Cool

Awesome ^_^
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ok, hint window size seem to be calculated correctly now,also for very small fonts Laughing

You can re-issue the pre-release procedure as mentioned above.

stelpa

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:
Ok, hint window size seem to be calculated correctly now,also for very small fonts Laughing

You can re-issue the pre-release procedure as mentioned above.

Perfect - great work ^_^
Page 1 of 1 [13 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » WREN
Jump to: