electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
'sequencer record' function?
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Unfed

Audio files: 4
G2 patch files: 11

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 9:37 pm    Post subject: 'sequencer record' function? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

not sure what i'm doing wrong, but when using the keyboard module connected to the sequencer record inputs it doesn't input the gate/trigger when i play the keys. i haven't spent too much time with this due to it not working for me. i hooked the 'note' output to the 'rec' input and it records the notes that i play, but hooking the yellow 'gate' output to the yellow 'rec' input on the SeqNote module doesn't seem to have any effect. what i've had to do so far is record the notes then manually activate the proper steps on the bottom row. is this something that was explained wrong in the manual like having to connect the 'clk active' output to the 'park' input when linking sequencers? not sure what i'm missing. any help with this would be greatly appreciated.
3phase

Audio files: 13
G2 patch files: 141

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 4:03 am    Post subject: Re: 'sequencer record' function? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Unfed wrote:
not sure what i'm doing wrong, but when using the keyboard module connected to the sequencer record inputs it doesn't input the gate/trigger when i play the keys. i haven't spent too much time with this due to it not working for me. i hooked the 'note' output to the 'rec' input and it records the notes that i play, but hooking the yellow 'gate' output to the yellow 'rec' input on the SeqNote module doesn't seem to have any effect. what i've had to do so far is record the notes then manually activate the proper steps on the bottom row. is this something that was explained wrong in the manual like having to connect the 'clk active' output to the 'park' input when linking sequencers? not sure what i'm missing. any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Polyphon or monophon patch? its often necessary to use the mono keyb out module to give monophon sequencers within a polyphon patch gurantied rec input. In certain configurations you need a S/H module before the rec input to get the rec in the accurate order.
If it still is causing trouble post a part of your patch that is causing the problem and i might fix it... I became pretty familar with the notesequencers by now and they are sometimes a bit tricky when using the rec function..nevertheless i was able to reach my goals with them yet.
Itßs however an area that can be improoved in future updates.
Unfed

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ok, here's a very simple patch that demonstrates what i'm running into. according to the manual (and the old Wizoo NM book i've got) hitting a key should input the note that is played, along with advancing to the next step if the clock isn't running. it detects which note i've hit on the first step, but doesn't activate the gate for the step or advance to the next. i can't understand why this simple function doesn't work, if some people here could check it out and shed some light on the problem it'd be very helpful. i think i'm still running 1.24 if it helps at all...

seq rec test.pch2
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  seq rec test.pch2
 Filesize:  1.36 KB
 Downloaded:  1242 Time(s)

ian-s

Audio files: 42
G2 patch files: 626

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Your problem is the yellow input next to the record input isn’t the ‘gate record input’, I also incorrectly assumed that. It is a record mode enable signal. The latest online help entry for that module explains it better.
Unfed

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ok, i patched in the proper 'sw2-1' and logic 'gate' modules as outlined in the Help section. seems to work a bit better when the clock isn't running, but it still doesn't record the keyboard gate for the notes i'm playing. these have to be edited by hand after i enter the notes. their example doesn't even show the gate/trigger row hooked into the envelope which makes entering rests impossible. i ended up keeping the g/t row hooked to the 'env trig' input as their example doesn't seem like the best way to go. any other ways to go about this? i guess there's no way for it to literally record what/when you're playing?
3phase

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Unfed wrote:
ok, i patched in the proper 'sw2-1' and logic 'gate' modules as outlined in the Help section. seems to work a bit better when the clock isn't running, but it still doesn't record the keyboard gate for the notes i'm playing. these have to be edited by hand after i enter the notes. their example doesn't even show the gate/trigger row hooked into the envelope which makes entering rests impossible. i ended up keeping the g/t row hooked to the 'env trig' input as their example doesn't seem like the best way to go. any other ways to go about this? i guess there's no way for it to literally record what/when you're playing?

The rec activate just enables the recording..The clock still needs to be applied to advance the sequencer.
You have to switch clock and sync source during recording. see attached patch.

seq_rec_test 2.2.pch2
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  seq_rec_test 2.2.pch2
 Filesize:  1.68 KB
 Downloaded:  1419 Time(s)

Unfed

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thank you for your help 3phase, much appreciated. your example is a slightly different take on Clavia's, but is actually further away from what i'm looking to do (though looks to be good for different uses). Very Happy it's interesting how in your example every step will play unless you activate certain gate steps which then makes it behave differently. for what i'm trying to do it's easier to use their method and leave the steps that i don't want to trigger blank. it seems neither technique will actually allow you to record exactly *when* the key is pressed? for example, if i'm playing along to a metronome and depress a key on the start of the bar and hold it for 8 steps, i want it to record that single note (which it does) while inputting the gate info at the same time and leaving the last 8 steps blank. to do this i need to manually activate which steps (1-8 in this example) that i actually want to sound. playing the keys while in record mode seems to have no effect on the t/g steps on the bottom row. i apologize if i'm not explaining this well enough for everyone to understand. at the moment i'm absolutely horrible with logic and switch modules but it's starting to make a bit more sense as to how they work.
3phase

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It´s gatetime sequencing what you are after... to bad that this is not really possible with the G2... or lets say its too expensiv.
I once did a version that worked with overscanning but found it too expensiv to make a monster patch for a single bar sequence.
IMO its very necessary that clavia brings a dedicated module for that.

The workaround i patches was a sequencer that genertates the lenghth information within the recordable note area of the sequencer. But this way multiple 16th notes on the same pitch are interpretated as one long note Crying or Very sad ...its however better than nothing.

This version contains maybe to much functions but i found it convinient...
You can copy one sequence to another...
there is a halfbar sequence..a 1 bar motiv and 2 main patterns that can be combined to make a 4 bar sequence.

GateTimeSeq.prf2
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  GateTimeSeq.prf2
 Filesize:  10.08 KB
 Downloaded:  1437 Time(s)

Unfed

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

cool, thanks! i'll try this out tomorrow. i did find your 'overdub' function in the other patch pretty useful. i guess i should've checked out some more of the sequence recording patches that are posted here before making this thread (though it's not too convenient for me to download patches as i don't use this pc for editing the G2), i think Tim/Shoshin posted something like that a while back. thanks again.
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Jump to: