electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
  host / artist show at your time
today> Sorry, postponed until next week Chez Mosc
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » WREN
No Audio, Invalid number of channels, wren crashes
Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
philly

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2023 7:51 am    Post subject: No Audio, Invalid number of channels, wren crashes
Subject description: error opening PA stream: Invalid number of channels.
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi everyone,

I just discovered Wren and it appears to be such a nice tool, I really want to try it out. However it simply will not work for some reason (version 2023.2.8.0). The error is always error opening PA stream: Invalid number of channels. There was a similar post in this forum which did not help me either sadly.

The last couple of hours I tried getting sound but no option (WASAPI, DirectWave,...) works, that means there I can choose DirectSound as the API and then my Realtek Speakers under output device. below this bar there then appears a (2), but in the eight bars under that there are no options which I could choose. If I hit OK then I do not get errors, but of course still no sound. If I click on test sound the above error appears (which makes sense since I cannot select channels).

I use FL Studio regularly so I have ASIO, but this option behaves even weirder. I select for example the following

starting PA [api: "ASIO", in: "ASIO4ALL v2" ch: 2, out: "ASIO4ALL v2" ch: 2], patch "2023-12-20 15-33-56 01" at 88.2 ks/s with buffer size 0 frames
0005:22 660 [AUDIO ] ASIO mask: input 1 -> 1
0005:22 667 [AUDIO ] ASIO mask: input 2 -> 2
0005:22 676 [AUDIO ] ASIO mask: output 1 -> 1
0005:22 682 [AUDIO ] ASIO mask: output 2 -> 2

and then wren simply crashes. Nothing in the logs. The same goes for clicking on the "show ASIO panel" - whenever I click it wren crashes.

So far I tried pretty much every combination of audio settings possible including the <nothing> options and rebooting, reinstalling wren in many different places on different hard drives and reinstalling asio a couple of times.

My PC is from 2018 but runs Windows 11 fine. Never had any audio issues with it and I can run FL Studio and ableton and audacity in parallel for example.

any help is greatly appreciated, cheers!
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 277
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2023 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hmm, and you do not have the file wren.log in the folder / directory where wren.exe resides?

Also - in what directory / folder did you put Wren?

If that is a windows owned folder logs can not be written without manually changing folder rights - and it's better to not do that.

philly

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2023 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thank you for the very quick reply, you are awesome! Smile

No I followed every suggestion and did install wren far from any µsoft folders.

HOWEVER I now found a way such that it works consistently, but that is a little bothersome.

first i need to deinstall asio4all.
then i go to the audio settings and must choose mme with nothing as input and speakers as output, nothing else. buffer size to 4096 as recommended.

BUT! if i close wren it crashes on restart. the last log entry is "starting portaudio". the solution to this again is to delete the wren.ini after each use of the app.

hope this also helps anyone encountering the same problem.

if there is any better known way please let me (us) know!

Thank you again for the awesome software and happy holidays to everyone!
philly

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2023 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

(sorry for double posting I'm new here Smile )

EDIT: I checked again, deinstalling asio is not needed but on my machine exactly this approach wokrs:

Delete wren.ini before launch
Open audio settings (MME API, speakers as output, a buffer > 0 to avoid crackling) and then hitting "test tone" enables the sound output finally for some reason. I just checked with a basic output / osc combo that left and right speaker (headphones) then work.
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 277
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2023 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Looked at this again and here are some thoughts that came up.

when you select DirectSound or MME you select output channels direcly under "Output devices" the 8 channelbars under it will stay empty then - this is as planned and Wren should still produce sound on the selected device and the implicit channels.

For ASIO- and I'm not quite sure about WASAPI and KS - it is possible to select eight ouput channels .. well .. maximally .. the sound card may implement less.

However please note that under ASIO you can not have multiple sound producing programs on the sam .. chanels at least .. or was it card .. i forgot .. and since I have this cheapish audio interface instead of the RME that broke downmy ASIO does not work properly. So this may be the reason for a crash at startup .. but I'm not sure.

Then .. I don not have win11 so I can not test that.

An option could be to find another PortAudio DLL and rename the Wrenone (soit will not be found ...) .. there have been PA issues with some sound cards on some windows versions ... but it has been a while since I read about that.

Oh, and myself, I tend to confuse inputs and outputs ..so that i donot configure outs but ins and then it will not make sound leaving me utterly surprised .. tils I realise that outs are onthe right Embarassed

Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » WREN
Jump to: