electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Articles  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links  |  Store
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
problems with memory use
Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
sirsicksik

G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:38 am    Post subject: problems with memory use
Subject description: Tried to make a drum-patch for short, bleeping sounds, but ran into memory shortage really too soon
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi all, I'm completely new with the G2, as I just bought it. I firstly began building synths using synthedit and while I know the G2 is a complete different thing to work with, there are still some things that make me wonder...

I tried to make a percussive drum synth which should make all kinds of noise-sounds, bleeps, plops etc. etc. As I want to be able to make an almost complete set of sounds to work with while on a project (drums, weird percussion sounds and 2 synths) it has to be made within a single patch.

I wanted to be able to trigger all the sounds from different key-numbers from an external midi input (computer/laptop using a midi/vst-host) so I used receive-note modules for each sound I wanted to produce. But doing this I already ran into serious memory problems without even beginning with the soundmodules.....

So my question is:
1. is there another, more memory-efficient way to keep track of all incoming notes, routing them to the right soundmodules, to be able to play a different sound for each played note?
2. is it possible to make variations within a single variation of a patch? Like being able to set different knob-settings for each note.. I know I could use the morph-group knobs for adjusting these knobs, but this only works within a certain range and lineairly, not that each note number has it's own outcome independent of the one below or above.. for example that note E4 has value 60, note F4 has value 87 and note F#4 36.. (if I could do this, I probably don't need as many note-receive modules, thus saving a lot of memory overthere...

if anyone knows of an already made patch which I could use as an example for myself, it would be great..

SirSickSik

Last edited by sirsicksik on Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Blue Hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 262
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Don't know how many sounds you have in mind, but you could try to use a demultiplexer driven by the note output of a keyboard module - probably with some offset added to get it mapped to the right keys and multiplied by four to have no gaps between the keys. That would give you eight sounds, it could be cascaded but then likely the %-es will ad up again quickly.

Re. the morphs you could run the morph signal through one or more control sequencers (which behave as a look up tables really), and then some MIDI CC send modules to move the morph knobs - that would get rid of the linearity issue.

When this is not clear enough I can try to patch something tonight.

sirsicksik

G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:30 am    Post subject: thanks! Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ah, look, I didn't see the ctrl input of the cntrl sequencer, this is indeed a very useful one for setting presets!
hehe, in a couple of minutes I've already fixed the offset-problem.. But I still wonder if I've got enough memory left for a lot of different sounds.. well, I guess I just shouldn't ask too much sounds in one single variation. 16X8 is still 128 different sounds.. hehe
I've added the patch in which I've put the set-up, for if any newbie as myself would run into the same problems..

sirsicksik

bleeps, plops and noises.prf2
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  bleeps, plops and noises.prf2
 Filesize:  5.41 KB
 Downloaded:  962 Time(s)

stinkebeest

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

sirsicksik !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i could have known you were a member here ! lol

LEIDEN !!!

cheers,

Rudi
Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Jump to: