electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » G2 FAQ
Is the meaning of life really 42?
Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
lefev

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 1:35 am    Post subject: Is the meaning of life really 42?
Subject description: new user, lots of questions
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello to all

I have been browsing patches on this forum with a G2 engine.
The sound creations I have seen & heard in this community w/ the G2 is stunning, thanks to all who have shared their hard work and talent. I am looking forward to getting to know how to work with this fabulous tool. Of course, studying Ian-s' performances isn't the simplest place to start but it is certainly an inspiring body of work. If I had a spare engine, it would be sent air mail to NZ.

Thanks to all who have contributed here, it really is what persuaded me to buy the box. This machine begs for involvement, hard to just get the feet wet. Hope I'll have the time to really dive in. This is a new hobby for me, I play and teach on the classical guitar as my main musical endeavor.

I had a question, but figured it out... I'm sure I'll have more along the way.

Kind Regards,
Michael
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

There are 42 principles of Ma'at1 and that's an omission in the manual ... however it's easily (re)discovered by experimentation Exclamation

Oh, and it's in the hitchhikers thingy too of course, and as the king explained to Alice it's the oldest rule in the book (all persons more than a mile high leave the court).

But I don't think 42 really is the meaning of life, as all good answers are "three", sometimes "two", but no matter what the exact answer is it's always something about cleaning up the mess it seems.

Anyway, things are hard to "prove" here (personal as well probably), but I made a small patch demonstrating the issues, hope it helps ... see attachment (best listened with headphones).

Oh, and Embarassed forgive me my impoliteness: welcome

1 Ma'at: the Ancient Egyptian personification of physical and moral law, order and truth (source)

3vs42.pch2
 Description:
3 vs 42, demoing some issue about the meaning of life

Download
 Filename:  3vs42.pch2
 Filesize:  1.29 KB
 Downloaded:  2315 Time(s)

lefev

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for the intriguing reply. I've noticed that you're not quite the "four on the floor" kinda guy Laughing

I look forward to checking out your patch after work!
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

welcome

four on the floor? Hmm... I havenĀ“t seen the floor for years. Shocked Too much gear and shit.. Shocked

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
mtvic

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

No
It's 420.
m

iPassenger

Audio files: 5
G2 patch files: 78

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Don't know so much about the meaning of life but someone said that, you can measure a man's success by how many toys he has. Now if that isn't an excuse to keep buying kit I don't know what it is. Smile Also I think in the realms of toys the Nord Mod is a kin to Transformers or maybe Lego.. which were my two favourite toys. Never had Mecano but lusted after that too.

Greetings Lefev.

Smile

lefev

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah, toys are surely addictive. After years of happily honing interpretations of music on the classical guitar, I suddenly got the urge to pursue the path I had left off in my college electronic music course. I remember discovering some ghosts in the machine there (a DX7 w/ Unisyn? software) when using s&h lfos and some random triggers. Loads of fun.

I stumbled on Nord modulars accidentally- I was searching for a cheap flamenco guitar on Craig's List (has this travelled across the pond?) and came upon a micro modular for $200. After getting into that for a year or so, I was increasingly unhappy w/ the Mac editor. This pulled me into the synth world. I sold the micro, bought a Kawai K5000 (very cool synth for those ghosts, ya know), but sold it later, and then a Virus TI Keyboard (selling, great sound but not too interesting to me), and now the engine. To the dismay of my wife, I purchased a G2X before selling the virus (on its way), but that virus is plenty popular for resale.

Serious toy for sure, this G2!
Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » G2 FAQ
Jump to: