electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » G2 Patches - Completed » Sequencer - automatic (noodles)
Sleeping G2
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Afro88

Audio files: 12
G2 patch files: 79

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 12:03 am    Post subject: Sleeping G2 Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This is what your G2 does in it's sleep Wink

The patch has no sound generation modules at all. Its sound comes from the noise in the inputs. The patch started off as some sound design stuff for uni but when I stopped feeding stuff to the inputs it kept making sound so I tweaked it a little and played around a bit.

There are 3 variations (1 2 and 3) that correspond to the alpha, delta and theta sleep states of the G2 Wink

SleepingG2.pch2
 Description:
When the G2 sleeps it has dreams too... bitcrushed ones ;)

Download
 Filename:  SleepingG2.pch2
 Filesize:  2.2 KB
 Downloaded:  2150 Time(s)

mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It snores! Electro-snores Laughing

Cool

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The patch is nice, but how happy should we be with this ?

Did a little test, see attached. There is quite some noise and when I fully open the patch level it starts to oscillate sometimes. Set the switch to position one for this.

For comparison I added a noise module, switch at position two for that, it's different.

Could the inputs be a source for 'real' random maybe ?

Jan.

noise.pch2
 Description:
experiment with input noise

Download
 Filename:  noise.pch2
 Filesize:  1.2 KB
 Downloaded:  2554 Time(s)

Afro88

Audio files: 12
G2 patch files: 79

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

They do indeed sound different. I kinda like the idea of using something truly random for random generation, it might add some sort of realism or true natural chaos to mathematical patches. Oh, and as long as you're not using the inputs for anything else, you've got 4 different sources Smile.

I'm not unhappy with this noise. One should expect a certain amount of noise to go with the analog inputs and outputs of any device. I've never noticed the noise before (and at times I run my speakers quite loudly) which means it's low enough for most uses. IMO the noise floor is more than adequate.

The test for me was gaining one of the bus inputs as far as I could be bothered and there wasn't any noise at all (as it should be, as it is simply multiplying the number 0). Some old samplers used to have gain noise - you would apply gain multiple times to a new blank sample and you'd end up with digital noise from shoddy programming.
Fozzie

Audio files: 8
G2 patch files: 49

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The gain in BH's patch is 4096x, so imho opinion it isn't that strange that you pickup something there. Maybe the new G2 converters are even better at being a random source than the classic ones with fewer bits. I reckon that, even as they have a better s/n ratio, the noise floor noise might actually be more random noise (better noise? is there such a thing?) but with more 'real signal headroom' above it. I guess the first couple of bits in a 24 bit AD conv are more sensitive to be affected by anything than the AD conv's with lower bit specs. Or is this pure nonsense?
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

To pick up something, yes. But 4096 amounts to about 36 dB and I get an output signal that almost hits the clip level, something I did not quite expect.

The measurement should have been done with inputs connected to some impedance, which would have given less noise probably. I remember having done this experiment with the NM classic as well, and that one was not very suitable as a noise generator.

It's not that input noise had been bothering me, but the numbers surprised me a bit.

Jan.
Fozzie

Audio files: 8
G2 patch files: 49

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Jan, I had also calculated the 36 dB value after I posted my previous message, and wondered whether I had done something wrong or missed something. Indeed, that doesn't sound good. However, plugging in my bass (I do that a lot) after the preamp stage works better in the G2 than in my old MM, as I don't hear any obviously added noise (either of them), but I do have far more headroom before the input clips in my G2.

A bit OT: there is one thing I seem to notice about the AD's and DA's on the G2. If I run my bass through the engine, with no processing other than in/out and some mixer things, the signal seems to be brighter than origal. Possibly a bit less 'deep lows'. Anyone notice this too?
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2004 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The noise discussion is continued at http://electro-music.com/forum/post-22528.html

Jan.
cappy2112

Audio files: 2
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Sleeping G2 Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Afro88 wrote:
This is what your G2 does in it's sleep Wink

The patch has no sound generation modules at all. Its sound comes from the noise in the inputs. The patch started off as some sound design stuff for uni but when I stopped feeding stuff to the inputs it kept making sound so I tweaked it a little and played around a bit.

There are 3 variations (1 2 and 3) that correspond to the alpha, delta and theta sleep states of the G2 Wink

Did you have the inputs connected to the other gear, which was turned off at the time, or the volume was truend all the way down on the external gear, or were there no cables physically connected to the inputs at all?
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » G2 Patches - Completed » Sequencer - automatic (noodles)
Jump to: