electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Clock generator multiplier ? basic question
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
heid'

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:40 am    Post subject: Clock generator multiplier ? basic question Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

An other basic question Embarassed :
My patch has two sequencers; one goes two times faster as the other; I can use the module "clock divider" to divide the frequence. But can we increasse a clock signal ? For example :
From a clock signal at 90, I would like to obtain a first signal at 45 (with the clock divider, it's ok); and on other one at 135.
We can use several clock generators, one for each sequencer. But I just would like to know if we can get it with only one clock generator wich receive mathematical operations Wink
Sorry for my bad english, I am french Wink

After this, I have an other basic question : how to chain 2 sequencers to obtains 32 steps ... But it's for later Wink

Thank you for your help, and hello from Avignon where the weather is sunny Cool
Antimon

Audio files: 371
G2 patch files: 100

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think you need some kind of module to extract the beats for each sequencer. When you want it to go faster than your master ClkGen, use a second ClkGen as in the grey modules in the attached patch, make sure it is set to "internal". If you don't need the sequencers to be synchronized, just skip the master (red).

I made the slow sequencer 32 steps to show how that works.

Again, this is made without the hardware, so I may not have gotten everything right, correting my mistakes is left as an excercise for the reader. Wink

/Stefan

seq var bpm.pch2
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  seq var bpm.pch2
 Filesize:  1.85 KB
 Downloaded:  2103 Time(s)

heid'

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thank you antimon Wink
The chain of the sequencers is difficult for me to understand; I am going to study it. For example, I don't know how to use "pulse" module. And I don't understand the difference between 1/16 output and click active output; but it's very interisting. I begin to understand that "loop" and "link" go together to chain the sequencers ...
Each day, I learn about G2 Wink
Thanks again antimon Smile
dasz

Audio files: 29
G2 patch files: 56

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i don't have my g2 with me at the moment, but perhaps at pitch detector module might work to extract the pitch of the clock and then you can xpose that (essentially multiply it) and feed that as the pitch mod input of a square osc which then becomes the clockgen.
/Dasz
Antimon

Audio files: 371
G2 patch files: 100

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

heid' wrote:
Thank you antimon Wink
The chain of the sequencers is difficult for me to understand; I am going to study it. For example, I don't know how to use "pulse" module. And I don't understand the difference between 1/16 output and click active output; but it's very interisting. I begin to understand that "loop" and "link" go together to chain the sequencers ...
Each day, I learn about G2 Wink
Thanks again antimon Smile

I used the pulse module because the "Clk Active" output is (I think) high constantly while the clock is running, and when you turn the clock off it goes low. If you feed a constant high signal into "park" on a sequencer, it won't ever run. The pulse module will output a short pulse when the input goes high. The idea is that when you start up the first chained will start running, but the second is turned off. When the Link->Loop goes high (as the first sequencer ends) the second starts.

This is how I think it works, but as I said I can't check it right now.

Also note that I changed the arrow button thingie at the top of the sequencers, so that the chained sequencers are one-shot while the solitary sequencer is looping automatically.

/Stefan

heid'

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thank you dasz, your idea is interesting. If we use a LFO square wave, it's a control signal, then we can multiply it. I am going to look for a patch of this structure Wink

antimon, thanks a lot four your explanation. I know now how to chain 2 sequencers Wink
iPassenger

Audio files: 5
G2 patch files: 78

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I appreciate that this is done using clock dividers but that is what they are for. Is there some specific reason you don't want to use them?

Tempo Patch.pch2
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Tempo Patch.pch2
 Filesize:  3.18 KB
 Downloaded:  1810 Time(s)

dasz

Audio files: 29
G2 patch files: 56

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

iPassenger, he's looking to multiply the tempo too.
/Dasz
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Jump to: