electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Articles  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links  |  Store
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Do variations buttons send out midi on kbd versions of G2
Page 1 of 1 [22 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
carlitos1

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 3:18 am    Post subject:  Do variations buttons send out midi on kbd versions of G2
Subject description: Want to record variations changes as midi
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have only the G2 engine and as such no buttons! I really want to record my 1-8 variations into my sequencer. I know CC#70 is the one and can edit manually, but how to record?

Do the buttons on the keyboard version send out midi? How would I set up an external midi controller to send variations of CC#70? Also is there a reference anywhere to what ranges CC#70 works in i.e what variable would variation 5 be for example.
If this is a FAQ sorry!

BTW
Just got past the part where you just noodle 24/7 for a while after first owning a G2 and started to make some ACTUAL music.
monobass

G2 patch files: 12

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm not with my G2 right now.. but even if they didn't you could map the 8 buttons under the knobs to change the variations instead and record them.
carlitos1

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I only have the G2 engine, and it has no knobs! Or do you mean I can do this in a patch. Can I map stuff to the variations with the editor? Has anybody done this? If I get a MIDI controller with buttons how do I map the variable CC#70s to 1-8 variatons?
monobass

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oh I see, sorry I didn't read you mail properly Embarassed

You could just map some notes to trigger certain values of cc#70.. the 8 variations are evenly spread across the range of 0-127

carlitos1

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oh yeah 128 '/. 8 = 16 god i'm so slow.

You say I can use notes to trigger variations. Wow that would be so cool for what I am doing right now.

I am a bit stuck though as how to map notes to CC#70 in the editor.
monobass

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Voila

note2cc70.pch2
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  note2cc70.pch2
 Filesize:  771 Bytes
 Downloaded:  1036 Time(s)

carlitos1

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Steve thankyou so much!
Will check this out tonight.
My poor poor neighbours will like this less than me!
carlitos1

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Embarassed Thats the best patch I have ever seen! No really, I should have seen this possibility. I have done this sort of thing in MAX/MSP so many times. What is wrong with my brain today?
I promise to post some links to my music stuff soon. Just finishing my first G2 track after owning it for a month. This patch will be central!
monobass

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

carlitos1 wrote:
Embarassed Thats the best patch I have ever seen! No really, I should have seen this possibility. I have done this sort of thing in MAX/MSP so many times. What is wrong with my brain today?
I promise to post some links to my music stuff soon. Just finishing my first G2 track after owning it for a month. This patch will be central!

heheh. the G2 and Max are very different, I find there are things I can do easily in either that leaving me scratching my head in the other... It's easier to blag an inefficient solution to things in Max I find. Which is good in some ways and bad in others Smile

Unfed

Audio files: 4
G2 patch files: 11

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

actually, i almost think they do send out and are able to be recorded into a sequencer. i think i remember doing this by accident one time when i forgot to punch out of midi overdub.
carlitos1

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 4:41 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

As promised, the track using midi to control variations. Just a very simple 1 bar loop of audio into the Nord G2. Most of this is in real time! Just a little post editing. 2 slots were used ending in two tracks of audio. The patch basically is a gate envelope with delay lines lfos filters and stuff

Not to everyones taste I know Wink

Feel free to pass this around though and let me know what you think

Thanks to Steve Sauce for pointing out the blindingly obvious

link>>

http://zappa.tvu.ac.uk/~crohumaa/demos/forums.html
dasz

Audio files: 29
G2 patch files: 56

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i have had to do this too... since i want to quanitize my variation changes and define them in a x0x sequencer.

http://electro-music.com/forum/viewtopic.php?highlight=rs7000&t=8165

/Dasz

carlitos1

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Very Happy Dasz that thread is the one. You are right this is just too much fun. I have only set up a basic thing with 2 remixing gate env time manglers. One is for the main track and the second is fed the first for a sort of unhinged chopped up regenerated reverb or delay or whatever is in the patch variations. Most of the sections really are real time in the mp3. I did not even need to compensate for MIDI delay. It just obeys!

As I get more confident I will check out the last patch on your thread. I had a good read and even understood some of it I think.

Not even used a sequencer module yet!
Not even used a morph group yet either!

For now my mind is blown, I am so happy with my track, my mates just stood in the studio in total disbelief laughing and shouting WTF. I ended up the same way. Cheers for the help guys it really dose have a profound effect on stuff in the real world.
dasz

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

no problem. always happy to help. the last patch (default_DZ.prf2 i think) is a great starting point for new patches ...

mind you the cc#70 is sent, and so is the MIDI note when you change the variations. your sequencer should avoid recording cc#70.

/Dasz
ps.: now if you could add an avatar then i can put a "face" with the alias Wink.
ps#2.: this is really me in the back of a 2000W 535i tweaking away.

monobass

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

carlitos1 wrote:
For now my mind is blown, I am so happy with my track, my mates just stood in the studio in total disbelief laughing and shouting WTF. I ended up the same way. Cheers for the help guys it really dose have a profound effect on stuff in the real world.

Nice.. I like your track Smile I used to make music like this in about 1997.. but you had to do edits by hand in sound forge or get your 16mb akai sampler to nearly blow up.. it damn near killed me and these days I do sparser stuff cos of the brain damage.

carlitos1

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I do solemnly promise to get an avatar
I do solemnly promise to do a nice track

oh a profile thing I can see it up there to the top right next to............ Very Happy
mininanowave

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

do variation buttons in editor send midi cc then? i am still trying to get engine, or keyboard version if i can sell my dp/4 and some more boxes.

mininano
carlitos1

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

check this http://electro-music.com/forum/viewtopic.php?highlight=rs7000&t=8165 seems a much better way than using the keys on my laptop. I cant see any midi come out by default just using the number keys, which is why I started this thread. I may be wrong? There may be a way to record variation number keys, but using a keyboard is way more fun.
carlitos1

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oh and Mininanowave do get an Engine they are the synth bargain of the centutry. I scanned ebay for weeks and then got mine for £430 +p+p. I still look and that seems a low price.

Be aware though that you will like it so much you will get a uncontrollable lust for the G2X Wink

BTW my sever has been taken down for the day as one of my users has done somthing rather naughty and the fuzz are investigating. So my music links will not work! Gerrrrrrrr theres allways one

dasz

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hey, cool avatar ... i was being a bit silly about putting a "face", but i'm glad you did!

/Dasz

carlitos1

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Strange, some peoples faces look like synths and "stuff" Wink I might change mine into a hub cap

ps
how the hell do you power a G2 in the back of a car! Were you mobile? Had a go at this with my laptop with my JL Audio set-up (its a competition level amp n sub) I never no what gear I'm in. Hey I could rack mount the G2 engine in the dash!

Don't let anyone tell you different>

Huge car audio systems with stupid power are big and are clever Very Happy

dasz

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I did not mean it that way ... I'm glad you put your face or anything else on it (i forget his alias, but there is a cat-duck around here) vs nothing!

Quote:
how the hell do you power a G2 in the back of a car! Were you mobile? Had a go at this with my laptop with my JL Audio set-up (its a competition level amp n sub) I never no what gear I'm in. Hey I could rack mount the G2 engine in the dash!

We got a dc to ac (wiht 3 prong jack) inverter (150W) unit from Canadian Tire connected to the lighter jack and voila mobile (quite fast moving mobile!) G2 session. There are other ways, I have seen portable batteries with AC outlets which could give you power for a long time (the G2 does not eat up a lot of Watts).

Quote:
Don't let anyone tell you different

I wouldn't dream it. I have played my G2 on a ferry, on a train, but not on a plane (only the demo version). These are sources of inspiration for me.

Quote:
Huge car audio systems with stupid power are big and are clever Very Happy

My friend's system is only 50% installed. When he is done it will be around 5KW (I can't list all the components, but there is a lot of shiny and heavy items). Mind you I use earplugs in such environments while he does not.

His system rocked or rather kicked (literally) butt and chest. I could/evem tho I tried to break his system with the G2 (he has protective filters all over the place to avoid disasters). The subs were clean as a whistle until around -42 semitones (from E3). Which should be around 30Hz.

What was the purpose of such a whacky afternoon? Years of both of us talking about doing this (but his system was only recently installed). Also, I could never experience such audio power in a condo living downtown.

Conclusion? The Nord oscs are extremely tight and responsive in the lower registers and true in other frequencies.

/Dasz

Page 1 of 1 [22 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Jump to: