electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Articles  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links  |  Store
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Patch Volume vs Perf Volume (starting all over again)
Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
cappy2112

Audio files: 2
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:27 pm    Post subject: Patch Volume vs Perf Volume (starting all over again) Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

After loading a perf which had the volume up pretty high, I had frantically tried turning down the volume in the editor, but nothing happened.

After looking through the G2 manual, I couldn't find a reasonable explanation for this.

Is there a logical reason why this is, other than "that's the way it was designed"?

Wouldn't it be trivial for Clavia to add a perf volume knob in the editor, or make the patch volume work for perfs as well?
Afro88

Audio files: 12
G2 patch files: 79

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

There are a few basic functions missing from the engine. Global variation changes and global volume are among them unfortunately.
cappy2112

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Afro88 wrote:
There are a few basic functions missing from the engine. Global variation changes and global volume are among them unfortunately.

Are you saying the editor works differently on the KB version, or are you referring to the HW volume control on the KB?
jksuperstar

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 18

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Functions that the keyboard can do, are not available in the editor (whether it be an engine or keyboard connected, the engine is the same).
gomidas

G2 patch files: 6

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Functions that the keyboard can do, are not available in the editor (whether it be an engine or keyboard connected, the engine is the same).

So there is no cc# to do that? Sad
dasz

Audio files: 29
G2 patch files: 56

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

gomidas is pointing to the solution.

Use a set of mult modules (for stereo outs) before each out module and use a CCRecv to modulate the volumes (level). Now when you switch variations the last recieved cc sets the volume thus you have no sudden jumps in volume (as it was programmed for each variation).

Repeat accross other slots (even use the same cc# and midi channel for one overall volume control. It's a hack, but works.

Here's a prf2 to illustrate. Slot 2 changes the Overall volume of slot a (yes it is affected/multiplied by the variation volume, but the 2nd volume control is not affected by variation changes). I included a variation switch so you can see that your volume is taken into account.

In order for this arragement, i had to change my approach to patch volume during patching. IE i keep it cranked across every patch and variation (in other words I do not use CC7 to control volumes at all). The patch inner/contained instrument) volumes are controlled by mixers within each patch. the master volume (as illustred in the prf2 controlled by cc#8 ), keeps volume consistent across varations.

I use an extrnal midi controller as my G2 slot "mixer" - i use the g2 knobs for fun stuff Wink. Hope this helps.
/Dasz

MasterVol_DZ.prf2
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  MasterVol_DZ.prf2
 Filesize:  10.98 KB
 Downloaded:  1109 Time(s)

cappy2112

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

gomidas wrote:
Quote:

So there is no cc# to do that? Sad

Yes of course. But do you want to go in and modify all the perfs you downloaded?
cappy2112

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

dasz wrote:
gomidas is pointing to the solution.

Use a set of mult modules (for stereo outs) before each out module and use a CCRecv to modulate the volumes (level). Now when you switch variations the last recieved cc sets the volume thus you have no sudden jumps in volume (as it was programmed for each variation).

Repeat accross other slots (even use the same cc# and midi channel for one overall volume control. It's a hack, but works.

Here's a prf2 to illustrate. Slot 2 changes the Overall volume of slot a (yes it is affected/multiplied by the variation volume, but the 2nd volume control is not affected by variation changes). I included a variation switch so you can see that your volume is taken into account.

In order for this arragement, i had to change my approach to patch volume during patching. IE i keep it cranked across every patch and variation (in other words I do not use CC7 to control volumes at all). The patch inner/contained instrument) volumes are controlled by mixers within each patch. the master volume (as illustred in the prf2 controlled by cc#8 ), keeps volume consistent across varations.

I use an extrnal midi controller as my G2 slot "mixer" - i use the g2 knobs for fun stuff Wink. Hope this helps.
/Dasz

Yes this obviuosly would work, but if it's not already in everyones mind to add these to their perfs, it's not practical, and it doesn't help the thousands of perfs already in existence.

A centralized way to control perf volume in the editor would be ideal, to eliminate having to go back and edit all your perfs. And as Jan pointed out, an individual patch volume control (knob) would also be helpfull.

These are mainly for Engine users.
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 163
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

On the KBD models, there is no global volume control either except for the volume knob on the front panel. I use this a lot in just auditioning patches and in live performance. If I had an engine, I would run it through a mixer and use the faders.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
gomidas

G2 patch files: 6

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Or you can also MORPH ASSIGN ( morph 8 ) the 4 Patch Level knobs of your perf to the 2d Modwheel (morph 8 ) and use a midi controller (bcr2000 Cool ) with a dedicated cc# 97 knob on the global midi channel of your G2.
But you'll also have to modify all your patchs, maybe do it one by one as you use them...
Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Jump to: