electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
MXR Phase 100 Repair
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [19 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Uncle Krunkus

Audio files: 52
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:11 pm    Post subject: MXR Phase 100 Repair Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've got this MXR Phase 100 which I'm fixing for a client, (yes, I'm tempted to say "Oh,.... parts ar bastard, can't be fixed" Wink ) But one of the most important things in business, as far as I'm concerned, is honesty.
So,
There's no phasing effect, but power etc. checks out good. It's driven by 3 * VTL5C3/2s, and powered up, I've got the voltage across two of the LEDs floating around 1V, and the third is pretty static up at about 5V.
The third one is cactus hey?
Can I test it by putting a standard LED into that position and get a partial effect happening?
You can find the schem here:-
http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/pdf/ggg_p100_sc.pdf
But I'm figuring there are a couple of people around here who know a thing or two about VTLs Wink
How hard are they to get? I can't get them here in Australia at all.
Thanks all for any help I can get.
Andrew

Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 96

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Can I test it by putting a standard LED into that position and get a partial effect happening?

I would think it would at least tell you something. Can you tell if the LFO is working?

Quote:
I can't get them here in Australia at all.

Yes you can. Wink

moran514

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

you might want to try to ask about this on http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum
Uncle Krunkus

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Scott Stites wrote:
I would think it would at least tell you something. Can you tell if the LFO is working?

I'm pretty sure the LFO is working, because the 1V across the other two slides up and down by about 0.3V when I set the speed to slowest, and sits steady at half that when the speed is up.

Are you inferring that I might be able to get them added to my MPS proto package Mr Stites? For a pre-determined sum this time I hope. Very Happy

I'll try the LED substitution and see what happens. I could always roll my own Vactrol I s'pose. I'm sure I've got a rough one around here somewhere.

Uncle Krunkus

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I put the LED in, and it just glowed consistently. No sign of any phasing effect. Then I touched the trimpot, and noticed the LED dim somewhat, and, yes, it was pulsing! I had a listen, and there was phasing. I re-installed the vactrol, and,......... nothing.

So, the moral of the story is. Don't go looking for a fault. Explore, and be prepared to find two. Wink

Yes, I think I need some vactrols Scotty! I'll be in touch. Smile

Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Righto.
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: MXR Phase 100 Repair Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Uncle Krunkus wrote:
It's driven by 3 * VTL5C3/2s,

These are the 'double type' vactrols right? 2x LDR in a single case? Because I too have had terrible trouble trying to get my hands on these in the UK. I assume it's just as bad in Aussie?

anyone got any suggestions?

You Americans have it so cushy! Evil or Very Mad Wink

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
StephenGiles

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

http://www.4shared.com/file/32516286/22128833/mxr110.html

This is the factory schematic for the MXR 110 which was apparently a revised model that never reached the factory, but not much different from the MXR 100.
Uncle Krunkus

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks Stephen.
I'm thinking about building one now.

Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It only takes 16 VTL5C3/2s to do this kind of stuff to a purposely dull DW6000 voice. All modulation, gooey stretching, warbling, and other mayhem in this sample is done by the Multiphase - remember that? The boards are patiently waiting a home behind a rack panel.

You're tempting me to go get back to it.... Laughing

xgen_snippets.mp3
 Description:
Memories from the Multiphase

Download
 Filename:  xgen_snippets.mp3
 Filesize:  3.46 MB
 Downloaded:  1146 Time(s)

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I take it then that you can lay your hands on these types then Scott?

Next time you order some, can you order some for us- and I'll paypal you or whatever?

:grovel: !

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
germaniac

Audio files: 7

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Private STITES! Front and center! What do you think you're doing lollygagging around here? Get back to work on the Multiphase PDQ! That's a DIRECT ORDER! salut

(Thanks for the snippets, I had forgotten how really incredible that thing sounds. . . . )
Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yessir! I'd all but forgotten about it, and I happened across some samples on the hard drive.

I've got two of these boards built - it'd be a shame to waste so many VTL5C3/2s!

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

Tom - my purchasing power has been curtailed for the immediate future (right at the time all of these awesome JH boards are coming out Evil or Very Mad ), but when things pick up, I'll be sure to grab you some. I have a few in my larder; those I should send to Andy so he can get that Phase 100 up and running.

Cheerios,
Scott

TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: MXR Phase 100 Repair Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:
Uncle Krunkus wrote:
It's driven by 3 * VTL5C3/2s,

These are the 'double type' vactrols right? 2x LDR in a single case? Because I too have had terrible trouble trying to get my hands on these in the UK. I assume it's just as bad in Aussie?

anyone got any suggestions?

You Americans have it so cushy! Evil or Very Mad Wink

Bridechamber sell them, are quite fast and a good price - I got the standard ones for my wogglebugs from them.

http://www.bridechamber.com/

In the UK, Pacer are the distributers. I bought my first batch there.

http://www.pacer.co.uk/jkcm/default.aspx?pg=116&path=213

They have a minimum order of £15 plus VAT.

If you only need one or two, pm me.

Mike

Clack

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: MXR Phase 100 Repair Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Maybe its time for another group order of them for people in the uk? I certainly would like to get my hands on a few more - I managed to get 2 of the last person who group bought cos I missed it - forgot his name. Lots of great vactorial projects out there

i'll sort it out

EdisonRex
Site Admin

Audio files: 172

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: MXR Phase 100 Repair Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Mr Clack wrote:
Maybe its time for another group order of them for people in the uk? I certainly would like to get my hands on a few more - I managed to get 2 of the last person who group bought cos I missed it - forgot his name. Lots of great vactorial projects out there

i'll sort it out

I would participate in a group buy. Are you volunteering to coordinate? Idea

Home,My Studio,and another view
Uncle Krunkus

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Scott Stites wrote:
I have a few in my larder; those I should send to Andy so he can get that Phase 100 up and running.

No, don't worry Scott. I'm already in the middle of a bit of home surgery on this one, and I think she's gonna pull through! Laughing

However, I might be interested in the future. How many are there in a multiphase? Laughing

I actually ordered a load of high brightness yellow LEDs so I could start rolling my own. I've been collecting a big pile of LDRs too. Now I've seen inside this Vactrol I'm quite sure I can make (almost) exact copies.

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 5:53 am    Post subject: Re: MXR Phase 100 Repair Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

TheProf wrote:

Bridechamber sell them, are quite fast and a good price - I got the standard ones for my wogglebugs from them.

http://www.bridechamber.com/

In the UK, Pacer are the distributers. I bought my first batch there.

http://www.pacer.co.uk/jkcm/default.aspx?pg=116&path=213

They have a minimum order of £15 plus VAT.

If you only need one or two, pm me.

You decent chap! Thanks Mike Very Happy

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Scott Stites wrote:

Tom - my purchasing power has been curtailed for the immediate future (right at the time all of these awesome JH boards are coming out Evil or Very Mad ), but when things pick up, I'll be sure to grab you some. I have a few in my larder; those I should send to Andy so he can get that Phase 100 up and running.

cheers as well Scott Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [19 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: