electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Wavolver II
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [20 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
drapdap

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:11 pm    Post subject: Wavolver II Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Does everyone else know about this? Did i miss out?

http://www.elby-designs.com/panther/ed117-wavolver/ed117.htm

Thanks Ian!
I was soo waiting for this one, its on the top of my wishlist!
Will a board be available through Bridechamber, or should i save up for an order from Elby?
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

What an extraordinary sounding waveshaper! Wonderful sounds! Very Happy
IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
frijitz

Audio files: 54

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Wavolver II Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

drapdap wrote:
Will a board be available through Bridechamber, or should i save up for an order from Elby?

There are no current plans for a Bridechamber version, unfortunately. Scott is still behind on everything. I'll try for it when he gets settled.

You can buy just the board from Elby, I believe, if that's what you're after.

Very Happy

Ian
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Will there be a kit available? If so, how much?
IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
frijitz

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:
Will there be a kit available? If so, how much?

There will be. Laurie is sending me a kit to put together and test. After that he will need to have board and panels runs done. I don't know when and how much.

Very Happy

Ian
drapdap

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Wavolver II Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

frijitz wrote:

You can buy just the board from Elby, I believe, if that's what you're after.

Thanks Ian!
Yes, i usually get your boards from Scott, and i'm not Frac, but .com size, so
i really have no use for a full kit, nice as it is...

Just wrote to Laurie, so we'll see.
Schematics only with a board right? No peeking?

jerk+pulser.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  215.76 KB
 Viewed:  389 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

jerk+pulser.JPG

frijitz

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Wavolver II Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

drapdap wrote:
Schematics only with a board right? No peeking?

Actually, I don't mind having this one public (close enough to the old version.)

Edit: schematic updated 4/28/11

Very Happy

Ian

WavolverII_003.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  32.08 KB
 Viewed:  708 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

WavolverII_003.gif

Last edited by frijitz on Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
reve

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Any considerations for us +/- 15v heretics? Or should it operate happily as is?
frijitz

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

reve wrote:

Edit: Please see updated schematic, which includes changes for 15V power.

Very Happy

Ian

Last edited by frijitz on Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:57 pm; edited 2 times in total
jordroid

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wow, that's a great sounding demonstration, very lovely, thanks for posting the schematic, i think i'll give it a go before too long. I've recently built a few of your ramp core VCOs from the EM thread and i am extremely pleased with them, along with a 5 pulser, teezer and threeler built and tested but without panels yet. Thanks for all the circuits you share, I've been getting a lot of mileage out of them!
frijitz

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

jordroid wrote:
Wow, that's a great sounding demonstration, very lovely, thanks for posting the schematic, i think i'll give it a go before too long. I've recently built a few of your ramp core VCOs from the EM thread and i am extremely pleased with them, along with a 5 pulser, teezer and threeler built and tested but without panels yet. Thanks for all the circuits you share, I've been getting a lot of mileage out of them!

jordroid --

Thanks for the kind words. I really do appreciate the feedback.

You ever talk to Bernie?

Very Happy

Ian
jordroid

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

frijitz wrote:

Thanks for the kind words. I really do appreciate the feedback.

You ever talk to Bernie?

Very Happy

Ian

I just met Bernie recently, when purchasing some electronotes materials from him. I am fairly new to this hobby and was pretty exited to find that electronotes HQ was right in my backyard. Bernie was super nice to meet, and he threw in a Cornell dumpster breadboard with the materials i bought, along with some extra EN issues Smile . We chatted for a minute about what i was currently working on, which was some of your stuff, and he said something like "you can count on Ian's circuits to be veeeeeeery carefully thought out".

Jordan
de_engineered

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Howdy there Ian,

Presuming space and extra parts/cost/complexity is mostly no object, any estimates on how soon I'd get diminishing returns by adding more stages (as seen circled in green)?

Maybe rephrase that as "When would it stop having an audible effect?"

And I suppose the answer is to build it and see/hear, but I figured it couldn't hurt to ask first anyway Smile

Also, would matching the diodes (say either the pairs in series, or all of them) have any benefit?

stage.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  75.28 KB
 Viewed:  20443 Time(s)

stage.jpg

frijitz

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

de_engineered wrote:
Presuming space and extra parts/cost/complexity is mostly no object, any estimates on how soon I'd get diminishing returns by adding more stages (as seen circled in green)?

Thanks for your interest! There are lots of experiments you could do with the folder section. As it's designed, it spans 7 diode drops, or ~5V, so it matches up with the CV range. It's also reasonably symmetric with respect to the range. Since it makes triangular sections its sound comes in quite smoothly. So if you add more stages, you'll want to think about those aspects. I did some initial experiments with six stages and single diode drops between the stages. You certainly get more harmonic content that way!

Another way to experiment is to change the gain of the differential amps (R39 R42, etc.) Higher gain will give trapezoidal folder waves. Since the circuit was developed with Tri drive in mind, the smoother sounds are better to my ear. Of course, you can drive with any waveform you like, so that's another way to vary the module's sound.

Quote:
Also, would matching the diodes (say either the pairs in series, or all of them) have any benefit?

Not really. It's just a waveshaper, so precision doesn't buy you much.

Very Happy

Ian
de_engineered

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

frijitz wrote:

Thanks for your interest!

Welcome sir, and thanks for responding!

Hmm. If the voltage drops are the limiting factor, maybe some Germanium diodes might yield interesting results, or at least allow for more stages. A stage select switch to dial down (or up Very Happy) the hairyness might be called for too then.

I'll be sure to give the other hints a try too. More when I hit the breadboard...!

frijitz

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

reve wrote:

Edit: Please see updated schematic above.

Very Happy

Ian

Last edited by frijitz on Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
adambee7

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thats a really cool waveshaper. cheers ian. I think i'll do a stripboard version for myself as i'm impatient. Very Happy Very Happy
frijitz

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Bump. To be sure everyone notes the revised schematic.

Very Happy

Ian
fonik

Audio files: 23

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thanks for sharing, ian. geat!
Sethkaine

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 11:50 pm    Post subject: Wavolver with 4000 serie Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi there,

Ian your website is Awesome! so much clever information on every page. the graal for me.

I have a question about the Wavolver years after last post but... I'll try.

TODO on my Breadboard :
Wavolver I from Ian Fritz to evolve to Wavolver II, but I want to know if I could use the 4000 serie for the AND gates like 4081 ic and a FET from 4007? or if I could build an alternative circuit to this switch FET in the Wavolver schematic ?
I have some MOSFET N-Channel Enhancement 2n7000 or ic 4007 three n-channel and three p-channel enhancement-type and I don't want to buy more I want to use what I have in stock.

here my original post about my system :
http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-65152.html

see ya

Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [20 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: