electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » The layout factory
Ian Fritz Chaos Gen Stripboard Layout - Standalone Rungler
Page 1 of 1 [15 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
artilect99

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:56 pm    Post subject: Ian Fritz Chaos Gen Stripboard Layout - Standalone Rungler Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi all,
I'm new to laying out stripboards, and I wanted to do something simple, so along with the magic smoke 8k LFO I attempted this circuit, which is the voltage source from Ian Fritz' Super Sample & Hold.

I haven't built this one yet, but I thought I'd post my layout here and see if any of you stripboard gurus notice anything glaringly and embarrassingly wrong with it! Shocked It's literally my 2nd layout ever, so I would be shocked if it didn't.

Below is the layout and the original schematic.

Chaos Generator.png
 Description:
original schematic
 Filesize:  63.86 KB
 Viewed:  16198 Time(s)

Chaos Generator.png

IF Chaos Gen (S-SH) v2.png
 Description:
stripboard layout
 Filesize:  82.28 KB
 Viewed:  533 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

IF Chaos Gen (S-SH) v2.png

Last edited by artilect99 on Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
artilect99

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hm, I take it by the lack of reply that my stripboarding skills are beyond reproach! Cool This is glad news indeed!

just kidding, I will build it out and see if it works. If there are problems I'll update it accordingly, just in case anyone else wants to build this. Personally I was excited by this circuit, seems like a simple, low-overhead way to add a random voltage without the need for a drive signal. Maybe it is too similar to white noise to be of much use in practice? We shall see...
artilect99

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here's an attempt at a standalone Rungler. Thought I'd post it here rather than start a new thread... any corrections would be much appreciated. (I'm sure there's a way to do it in a lot less board space, but right now I just want to get it working.) Subbed a 4094 IC so it can run off +12v.

rungler_crop1.png
 Description:
original schematic
 Filesize:  91 KB
 Viewed:  669 Time(s)

rungler_crop1.png

Rungler Standalone LM358.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  114.85 KB
 Viewed:  449 Time(s)

Rungler Standalone LM358.png

Last edited by artilect99 on Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
gabbagabi

Audio files: 23

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

u need to forgive the forum members for not responding,
controlling stripboard designs that u not have done urself is not the most enjoy-able activity Smile
eventhought ur design looking quite clear.
elmegil

Audio files: 16

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Your Rungler is going to blow up.

In the original circuit the rails are +9 and -9, and the 4021 is powered from +9 to -9.

While you're running your 4094 off of 0 -> 12V so it won't have a problem there, you're running your op amp at +/-12V and that will fry the data in on the 4094 when it's low.

You *should* be able to get away with using a single-supply op amp instead of the TL072 (it will *not* work without a balanced supply). I'm not having any luck finding single op amps with single supply (I know they exist, but I can't remember, and my datasheets will take a long time to sift through), but you could use an LM358 for example and just ground the inputs of the second amp.
artilect99

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

g.gabba wrote:
controlling stripboard designs that u not have done urself is not the most enjoy-able activity Smile

For sure. I was just putting them up to get a second set of eyes, in case there was anything immediately apparent that was obviously wrong -- such as

elmegil wrote:

Shocked Shocked

good catch elmegil. I see input voltages are supposed to be between -0.5v and supply +0.5v. Could I use a diode rectifier or a similar scheme to kill the negative half of the waveform?
elmegil

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

artilect99 wrote:
elmegil wrote:

Shocked Shocked

good catch elmegil. I see input voltages are supposed to be between -0.5v and supply +0.5v. Could I use a diode rectifier or a similar scheme to kill the negative half of the waveform?

Not sure..... That sounds reasonable, but I don't know for certain, I haven't done that kind of trickiness much.
artilect99

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Am I understanding correctly that the problem is the TL072 is going to be ouptutting a negative voltage in it's "low" state instead of 0v?

In that case I was thinking something like this:

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.
elmegil

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Correct in concept, however, it's usually not just that simple.

For one example, going forward through the diode, you will lose 1 diode drop. That *should* be fine, but may not be. CMOS chips like the high value to be very close to the + rail.

For another, when you're reversed and the diode is cut off, there is not actually a "ground" signal at the input of the 4094, so that also may not work, or worse, only work intermittently. I'd consider putting a 10K to ground on that side of the diode.

But this is all just GENERAL advice, I have not tested any of it nor do I have specific expertise addressing -V into chips that can't tolerate -V.
artilect99

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Using LM358 for the op-amp seems like the easiest way then... good call!

Should the strobe pin 1 be tied high?
elmegil

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You'll still need to address the possibility of a negative going input, but it won't be as difficult with an op amp Smile There are examples of this with op amp inputs available in schematics for things like the Orgone Accumulator which is open source.

As for strobe, that's how I would read the verbiage at the start, but the timing diagram is confusing me. You'll need to look at that more, or maybe just use the 4021 like the original.
artilect99

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm a little unclear as to how the original circuit deals with negative going inputs?

for what its worth I'm not trying to make a commercial product, I just need it to work in my own setup, so if that comes with some caveats like "dont send it bipolar LFOs or you will fry it" thats fine.
artilect99

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here's one for Stereoping's Scaler/Offset utility module.

Stereoping_DIY_CV_Offset_Scaler_schematic.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  28.3 KB
 Viewed:  15451 Time(s)

Stereoping_DIY_CV_Offset_Scaler_schematic.jpg

ScalerOffset v3.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  136.34 KB
 Viewed:  589 Time(s)

ScalerOffset v3.jpg

artilect99

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

w/r/t the Rungler, here is how the data input works on Andrew F's 8-bit cipher. (Think I'm going to just build that, since it does everything I would want from a standalone Rungler!) But looks like a similar scheme could be employed on the standalone rungler using a CD4094.

(the inverting op-amp inputs are also tied to ground via a 10k resistor, that part was cut off.)

8bit cipher data input.jpg
 Description:
NLC 8-bit cipher data input scheme
 Filesize:  31.3 KB
 Viewed:  15207 Time(s)

8bit cipher data input.jpg

artilect99

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2022 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

lol building that Rungler on stripboard sent me down a long rabbit hole of shift register sequencers and LFSR noise. And somehow I ended up right back at this thread by accident.

Anyway, with the benefit of actually understanding the circuit now:

The reason the rungler doesn't "blow up" as Elmegil suggested is because the input stage is a comparator that only puts out high (+Vcc) or low (0v) states for the shift register.

The register bits are sent to an R-2R dac whose output is (on the benjolin) intended to be CV for a pair of VCOs, one clocking the shift register and the other fed into the comparator input (P1).

The result is a bewildering array of "interference patterns"

The reason I wanted a standalone rungler is to basically patch up a benjolin with pre-existing VCOs, but this got me obsessed with shift register sequencers such as the CGS gated comparator, Wiard Noisering, Turing Machine, and the mighty Klee.
Page 1 of 1 [15 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » The layout factory
Jump to: