electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » G2 Patches - Completed » Audio In
Therisynth
Page 1 of 1 [12 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
richardnixon

G2 patch files: 4

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:54 am    Post subject: Therisynth
Subject description: Theremin control of G2 synth patch
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here's a pretty simple 3 osc patch, but controlled by a theremin (audio input into G2).

The theremin's audio output is tracked by a zero counter module which then feeds pitch control signal to the 3 oscillators in the patch. An envelope follower also tracks the amplitude of the theremin signal so you can still control the volume of the synth from the Theremin.

There is also a switchable "autotune" circuit with adjustable key and glide (between quantized pitches) for those of us thereminists-in-training.

Finally, the Control Pedal morph group has been patched to the filter cutoff so you can control filter sweeps from your foot while your 2 hands work the theremin (Hey Darwin, where's that 3rd hand I always seem to need!?).

*for best pitch tracking, experiment with the waveform settings on your theremin. In theory a sine wave should work the best. (eg. On my Moog Etherwave, having both the waveform and brightness knobs fully counter-clockwise produces the best pitch tracking)

Therisynth.pch2
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Therisynth.pch2
 Filesize:  2.45 KB
 Downloaded:  1664 Time(s)

Gordon Charlton

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm a thereminist seriously considering getting a G2 engine with the specific intention of driving it with my moog etherwave.

Could you comment on how well the pitch and amplitude tracking work with your patch?

Ideally, would it be possible to provide an audio file with the audio output of the theremin on the left, and the output of your patch on the right, please?

Also could you take a screen snapshot of the patch please, as I would like to see what it looks like but cannot load it into the demo software.

Thank you.
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 277
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Welcome Gordon.

To see the patch you could download the real editor at http://www.clavia.se/products/nordmodular/software.htm and open the patch in that one. It will not play the patch then of course, without the hardware.

When you install it you might want to not let it take the pch2 file extension, so that by default patches will still open in the demo software.

Gordon Charlton

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Jan, that was a very helpful suggestion. Thanks.

And richardnixon, if you're still around, that's a lovely patch - I'm a complete beginner, but I can see how it works and it looks like an ideal starting point for when my finances allow me to actually buy a Nord. In fact it looks like a good patch to take with me to a shop along with my etherwave for a test drive.

Smile
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Gordon, there might even live some helpful g2 owning forum member near you, but you'd have to be a bit more specific on your location then I guess Very Happy
Gordon Charlton

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm sitting on the sofa by the window in the living room.

Is that specific enough?

Oh.

Er.

Ah, I see.

Near Watford, Herts. I've put the kettle on.
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Laughing
richardnixon

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Gordon,
The pitch tracking on the G2 works extremely well, much better than I had thought it would. I do sometimes get a bit of what sounds like hi-freq aliasing when the theremin's pitch is near zero beat, however, since one rarely actually plays at that frequency, other than for effect, it isn't a bother. There can also be some odd noises when you go from barely touching the pitch antenna to actually touching it. Again, this isn't done very often so it doesn't become a problem (although we did use this sound on a friends record as an effect with great results!) Also, as I mentioned in the original post, set both the waveform and brightness controls fully counter-clockwise for the best tracking results.

The Amplitude tracking is also spot on, it's very responsive, almost exactly like the unprocessed theremin.

The autotune section is a bit of a joke and not very useful. There is a glide module to make the transitions between "quantized" notes a bit less abrupt, but that only helps so much. It's original intention was to be able to also convert the pitch tracked theremin to a MIDI signal (which would obviously have to be quantized to specific MIDI notes + pitchbend), but that didn't work out either.

The patch certainly does allow for some great tonal variations with the theremin. You can't help but smile when doing a long glissando and sweeping the filter with a foot pedal Very Happy

Gordon Charlton

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

richardnixon wrote:
Hi Gordon,
The pitch tracking on the G2 works extremely well, much better than I had thought it would
[...]
The Amplitude tracking is also spot on, it's very responsive, almost exactly like the unprocessed theremin.
[...]
The patch certainly does allow for some great tonal variations with the theremin.

That's very encouraging to hear. I wasn't looking forward to spending extra money just to get the audio output into CV, or having someone do the outrageously complicated mod in the hotrodding manual. It brings my owning a red slab just that bit closer. :-)

(Incidentally, did you know there are a couple of dedicated Theremin to CV/MIDI converters available that do all the pitch-bendy stuff for MIDI. Here, in the US and here in the UK.)
richardnixon

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Gordon Charlton wrote:
richardnixon wrote:
Hi Gordon,
The pitch tracking on the G2 works extremely well, much better than I had thought it would
[...]
[...]
The patch certainly does allow for some great tonal variations with the theremin.

That's very encouraging to hear. I wasn't looking forward to spending extra money just to get the audio output into CV, or having someone do the outrageously complicated mod in the hotrodding manual. It brings my owning a red slab just that bit closer. Smile

(Incidentally, did you know there are a couple of dedicated Theremin to CV/MIDI converters available that do all the pitch-bendy stuff for MIDI. Here, in the US and here in the UK.)

I felt the same way, and with the power that the G2 has, I figured I might be able to do it. I probably could, but would require more time than I was willing to devote to it.

I am now debating the attempt at modding the etherwave for pitch CV (volume CV is pretty easy) so I can control my recently purchased voyager. Either that or save up for the Etherwave pro.

Gordon Charlton

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Excuse me while I air my ignorance for a moment.

My first thought was - well you could use the nord to do the audio->CV, but I noticed it doesn't have CV out.

But then I noticed the demo lets you connect CV lines to the audio out. I didn't post this because I realised CV out and audio out were at different levels etc. so not compatible.

Then I saw a link to this: http://synthesizers.com/q125.html in a posting over on thereminworld.com so now I'm wondering if you could use the nord to do the conversion and send the result to its audio outs, then tweak the audio outs of the nord so they fitted the CV ins on your voyager.

Probably there's some good tech reason why not, but it's a thought.
varice

Audio files: 29
G2 patch files: 54

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Gordon Charlton wrote:
...I'm wondering if you could use the nord to do the conversion and send the result to its audio outs, then tweak the audio outs of the nord so they fitted the CV ins on your voyager.

Probably there's some good tech reason why not, but it's a thought.

The G2 has DC blocking capacitors on the audio outputs which prevent DC control voltages from being present at the output jacks. I modified my G2X to get a CV output for my moogerfooger LPF. Check this out:

http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-12266.html

Page 1 of 1 [12 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » G2 Patches - Completed » Audio In
Jump to: