electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Elektor Oscillographics
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 3 [61 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2, 3 Next
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 5:28 am    Post subject:  Elektor Oscillographics
Subject description: THE oscilloscope visualiser for your Modular
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

People,

I'm pleased to announce Oscillographics. A DIY analogue visualiser for all those redundant oscilloscopes out there.

I first found this circuit back in 1978 when the original article was released. I mentioned it on the old NordModular@code404 forum a few years back- but nobody believed me that it actually existed (especially the Dutch! Laughing ) Crying or Very sad Evil or Very Mad

So all you disbelievers out there, I now have full permission from Jan Buiting, Editor of Elektor Magazine to reproduce the article as a World Wide Web exclusive here on electro-music.com Very Happy

I'm still scanning and organising the article but until that's ready (sometime this evening), here's a taster of some screenshots Cool

Here is a brief description how the circuit works;

"Oscillographics" connects to an oscilloscope via the x and y inputs. By creating signals produced by two identical dampened sinusoidal oscillators, a infinite amount of highly complex 3D wireframe-type Lissajous patterns can be obtained. The patterns are then further manipulated by altering the phase of their output. This can be done either manually, or by introducing an external signal as a modulation source. In a nutshell, it's a lot of fun, and your DIY modular will love you for it Cool

First some legal blurb;

Reproduced from Elektor magazine, with written permission from Segment
BV publishers. Ref. QW-665629l-PS/JB. Publishers website at

www.elektor-electronics.co.uk

IMO Elektor were the kings for DIY electro-music back in the 70's. Their groovy and inventive graphic design too was also an inspiration to me.

Oscillographics.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  177.96 KB
 Viewed:  23206 Time(s)

Oscillographics.png

blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 277
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: Elektor Oscillographics

v-un-v wrote:
(especially the Dutch! Laughing )

Bloody nonsense Very Happy The device is called "spiroskoop" in the dutch edition, but it has the same images in the articles that you posted - except that in my "elektuur" they are white on black, well nearly black, the black was never black enough for diy pcb making.
Quote:

IMO Elektor were the kings for DIY electro-music back in the 70's. Their groovy and inventive graphic design too was also an inspiration to me.

Yes they had a lot of music related stuf in those days, 1978 saw the last articles of the formant series, the sept. issue (where the oscillographics are in) also features a piano, a top octave synthesizer, and a 24 dB VCF - not bad at all. And the PCB's still look good, even these days.

Saw a nice little addie in the issue as well for matrox "video ram", which must have been there first video cards, including a 512 x 512 b/w graphics version for just about 1750 €.

Anyway, great you got permission to publish this nice little gem Very Happy

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: Elektor Oscillographics

Blue Hell wrote:
v-un-v wrote:

Bloody nonsense Very Happy

Laughing

I knew this statement would annoy you Jan Very Happy
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: Elektor Oscillographics

Blue Hell wrote:
in my "elektuur" they are white on black, well nearly black, the black was never black enough for diy pcb making.

Well mine too were white on black. I just had to make it a little more realistic with some Photoshop trickery Cool

I've been going over the PCB making it nice and Lith so a good copy can be made. It may have to be resized as I scanned it at 1200dpi ( Shocked ) to make sure I got a good transfer. Elektor in those days made the coolest looking boards in the planet. If only they would write a piece of software which produced boards in the same manner Cool Cool Cool
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here's the front cover.

Hopefully I can get the permission to post the 24dB filter. It's a superb design Smile

elektor front cover.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  669.73 KB
 Viewed:  22968 Time(s)

elektor front cover.png

blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: Elektor Oscillographics

v-un-v wrote:
Blue Hell wrote:
v-un-v wrote:

Bloody nonsense Very Happy

Laughing

I knew this statement would annoy you Jan Very Happy

I knew it was meant to annoy me Laughing

A few months ago I dumped most of my elektors BTW, but kept a few volumes (77 and 78) for nostalgic reasons.

Last edited by blue hell on Sun Jan 07, 2007 7:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Wout Blommers

Audio files: 123
G2 patch files: 12

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: Elektor Oscillographics

v-un-v wrote:
Blue Hell wrote:
in my "elektuur" they are white on black, well nearly black, the black was never black enough for diy pcb making.

Well mine too were white on black. I just had to make it a little more realistic with some Photoshop trickery Cool

I'm Dutch, so I don't believe it at all... Wink
In The Netherlands the synth was called 'Formant'.

Anyway, lets keep information clear and honest. If something is changed, in any way, and is published, please write a note about this. It makes the information more valuable.

Wout
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Elektor Oscillographics

Wout Blommers wrote:

In The Netherlands the synth was called 'Formant'.

Yes, here too the Formant was known as the ....."Formant" Very Happy

Do you also remember the "Formant II"? I seem to remember it being made by someone called Peter Baumann. Somehow I don't think it was the same Peter Baumann!!

Perhaps I am wrong? Shocked
Wout Blommers

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I thought Peter Baumann build the BME Axiom?

Wout

BTW aren't you the same guy who once was interested in the work of Tom Disselvelt?
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wout Blommers wrote:
aren't you the same guy who once was interested in the work of Tom Disselvelt?

I am Very Happy

Who wants to know? hehe

IMHO, I think Henk Baddings was a far better composer though, although the story about Dissevelt trying to get a job at the BBC Radiophonic Workshop is a very sad one, especially after knowing that Brian Hodgson took the credit for Dissevelt's Vibration piece- which was used on the BBC's Alchemists of Sound documentary a few years back.

And before you suggest Basta's superb box-set of Dissevelt, Baddings and Raiilmaker's original music, can I remind you that the reason why all the EP's were separated into individual audio tracks on the CD was probably because I phoned up Basta 2 years previous to its release asking if they fancied doing a remix EP snob

Unfortunately Basta weren't into it Crying or Very sad (but I reckon they were toying with the idea? Rolling Eyes Twisted Evil )
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Elektor Oscillographics

v-un-v wrote:
Do you also remember the "Formant II"?

I should have a copy of the book or some articles from it maybe, somewhere, but can't find it, but thought it were just some additions to the formant. I got it when I bought the Formant I now have.

What I can find is a polyphonic version of the formant (Elektor 1982), that one seems to be done by U. Götz and R. Mester. I bult just the CPU card from that one, it would be my first self built computer, but I didn't really use it for music then but as a development thing to build even more computers - somw for musical purposes.

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

No it wasn't a polyphonic version.....hmm perhaps it was an article on the series of chips put out by Curtis?

I had stopped buying elektor by then. I'd picked it up in a newsagent reading it in a casual manner (without buying it!), didn't buy it because I thought the Digisound 80 featured in ETI was a better, more versatile design.
Wout Blommers

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:
And before you suggest Basta's superb box-set of Dissevelt, Baddings and Raiilmaker's original music, can I remind you that the reason why all the EP's were separated into individual audio tracks on the CD was probably because I phoned up Basta 2 years previous to its release asking if they fancied doing a remix EP snob
Unfortunately Basta weren't into it Crying or Very sad (but I reckon they were toying with the idea? Rolling Eyes Twisted Evil )

Basta has nothing to do with it, I can tell you.
If you want to do something with it, you have to contact Kees Tazelaar, head of the electronic music department of the Royal Conservatorium in The Hague, although he doesn't posses the right either, but he knows the children of Tom Dissevelt, who have it all. Kees conceived the Basta CD, BTW.

Of course is Badings a much better composer then the two others. He was a serious modern composer in his days, but due to his co-operation with the Germans during the occupation '40-'45 he wasn't allowed to compose 'normal' musical pieces anymore, so he turned to electronic music instead. He wasn't a Nazi and he even was able to keep most jewish students and teachers of the conservatorium away from deportation, although they weren't allowed to teach and study anymore. The fact most Germans had very high respect of musicians was a help to him, which he really knew how to use...

Wout
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Almost a Dutch Schindler then?

I'd love to hear more of his work.
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I hope these haven't posted in the wrong list order? Embarassed

Osc article A.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  218.97 KB
 Viewed:  23031 Time(s)

Osc article A.png

Osc article B.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  110.82 KB
 Viewed:  22993 Time(s)

Osc article B.png

Osc article C.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  226.69 KB
 Viewed:  22931 Time(s)

Osc article C.png

Osc parts list.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  25.67 KB
 Viewed:  22927 Time(s)

Osc parts list.png

Osc PCB.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  94.99 KB
 Viewed:  22918 Time(s)

Osc PCB.png

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nope Very Happy

But one more to come.....
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

here;

Oscillo PCB layout.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  127.22 KB
 Viewed:  22931 Time(s)

Oscillo PCB layout.png

blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Now someone should make a nice blue PCB for it Laughing
toppobrillo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

here is an article i came across while back... "Oscilloscope Art"

oh i bought a 5" B&W TV to use..

DSCF0400.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  564.46 KB
 Viewed:  22888 Time(s)

DSCF0400.JPG

ScopeArt.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  ScopeArt.pdf
 Filesize:  3.78 MB
 Downloaded:  724 Time(s)

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thankyou for posting that one topp, but it was the one we've all seen countless times before. I was trying to avoid that one as much as I could! Laughing

There's an excellent series of articles on circuit bending your TV elsewhere on the forum;

http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-7010.html
toppobrillo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

oh didnt know that
Quote:
but it was the one we've all seen countless times before.

yeah the TV thing is pretty easy. i have come up with a pretty good drive circuit for the deflection coils- nothing special- uses power op-amps with "snubbers" and schottkys on the outputs to protect them from a voltage surge that occurs when the magnetic field breaks down in the coils.

next i need to drive the "z" axis or intensity- this is done in an LSI chip so i gotta figure it out. but yeah it will be cool. this circuit yopu posted looks good. and yes, those elektor PCBs are tha bizniss.

josh
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Elektor Oscillographics

Blue Hell wrote:
the sept. issue (where the oscillographics are in) also features a piano, a top octave synthesizer, and a 24 dB VCF - not bad at all. And the PCB's still look good, even these days.

AND I may add, a 2-page "Applikator" feature spread just before the filter, on the SN76477! Cool Cool

Elektor's PCB's were works of art Cool Cool Cool

Perhaps I'm turning into a retro-magazine nerd? Embarassed Very Happy
bugbrand

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey, I've been chomping to make this circuit -- I had thought about using the basic idea but modify it to run at less strange voltage supplies.. But then I got lost in trying to make a pcb... (was trying to use 40106 for clocking and SM2404 quad switch (free samples from analog.com) for switching -- that'd allow more standard synth power)

I also got pointed to another similar project here:::
http://www.crowncity.net/ratcave/Electro/ScopeArt/ScopeArt.html
(also with PCB)
(I'm gonna try making this one...)

Edit -- ah-balls just realised the opamps in that project have a wierdy pinout -- they're RC4136s ... guess I'll have to cludge it somehow..

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah, again, that's the one that has been doing the rounds for a while. However, I think Elektor's one is more interesting. I bet it could also be knocked up using a Clavia Nord Modular. I don't have a working oscilloscope any more so I can't say- but I know that 'asteroids' has been written on the Nord Cool
bugbrand

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey, so I made this up over the weekend...
(The elektor design rather than the ScopeArt one)

Slight confusion to start with 'cos there are some extra parts on the pcb layout that aren't on the schematic. I've done a schematic of these extra - image below.

Oh damn the images are amazing.
& you can hear the sounds too - all sorts of harmonics.
Plus modulation.
I'm sure there's a lot of tweaks possible to mess with it.
(actually, its not 100% yet 'cos I haven't yet done the right power supply for it -- 'cos its for my modular I will have to drop the +/- 12v supply) -- but its working already so...

Ok --- you've seen screenshots already, but you've got to see it moving...
So here's a youtube video I did - there's sound in the 2nd half of it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mig4oDcu2qQ

The video starts off with images produced just by using the standard controls. The 2nd part introduces lfo modulation - varishape triange wave lfo. And then there are the sounds.
Mmmmm loose yourself in those patterns!

... here's what the module looks like:
Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

Top to bottom -

X Section -- Modulation input with depth control
Osc Level, Osc Damping, X Output

Y Section -- Same again..

Ground connection, Z Output

(I haven't actually used the Z output yet - its working without.)

And here's the schematic of the extra parts (I think its correct, but maybe...):
(note - I left off D1 & D4 & supplied +/-12v -- should be more like +/-6v so you'd then have proper +/-5v after the regulation etc)

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 3 [61 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2, 3 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: