electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Thomas Henry designs
Thomas Henry's SN76477 Super Controller Module
Page 1 of 10 [232 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2, 3, ..., 8, 9, 10 Next

Is there an interest in Super Controller PCBs?
Yes, by all means.
95%
 95%  [ 23 ]
No, it just doesn't cut the mustard, i think.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
I don't know. I mean, i... er...
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 24

fonik

Audio files: 23

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:50 am    Post subject: Thomas Henry's SN76477 Super Controller Module
Subject description: PCBs are SOLD OUT
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hi all,
there was a lot of talk about the SN76477 lately and there are a lots these ICs waiting for salvation, i guess.

i got thomas henry's permission to do a PCB run for his Super Controller design, published in "polyphony" and his book "build a better music synthesizer" (many thanks to our broadminded mr henry!).

boards are now available. the PCBoards size is 4.65x3.1in (118x79mm) and provides +5V onboard source and MTA.100 connectors for almost all switches, potentiometers & sockets. it will take both wide and narrow body ICs.
all who placed an advance-order will have received a PM now. if you changed your mind PM me to cancel your advance-order, please!

EDIT: documentation uploaded. hope that's sufficient. if not, comment please.
documentation r3

prices:
PCB 18.-USD/13EUR each
1x S&H 7.-USD worldwide/3EUR europe

SOLD OUT

It utilizes the SN76477 to build a versatile CV source unit:
one gated/delayed LFO (with hold function!) providing triangle and square, trigger and gate outputs.
one noise source with selectable frequency range and sweep
one sample & hold with portamento and attenuation

a great companion to the SN76477 Voice!?

short description:

there is the LFO section to the left. you will choose mode of operation with a switch selecting delay, gate or switch. in delay mode the LFO will start when triggered depending on the delay time - so you can create delayed modulation. in gate mode the lfo is alway on until you plug a cord in (switching jack socket). from now on the LFO is on when a gate signal is present. in switch mode you can perform a "hold". the LFO stops as soon as you close the connected (foot?)switch. a status LED above the mode selector indicates the LFO working. there is a selector for the LFO range, a rate control and a LED indicating the speed of the LFO. there are four outputs: triangle and square wave, the gate and the trigger outputs a derived from the LFO. the gate is derived from the square wave output but going from 0V to approx 10V (or whatever, depending on a resistor value). the trigger is derived from the triangle and delivers a 1ms pulse. don't forget: the output is gateable or controlled by delay or switch!

the S/H section in the middle: the S/H is clocked from the LFO trigger and provides a portamento (lag) and depth control.

the noise section is to the right: the frequency range of the noise source is selectable by a switch. furthermore there is a filter control (known from the SN voice) and a attenuated cv in for the sweep, which base is set by the initial control. you can select external or internal (LFO) sweep modulation.

hope i got it right.

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by fonik on Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:46 am; edited 14 times in total
The Alison Project

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'll take two

Chris
andrewF

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

two for me too
cheers
mono-poly

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm in Smile
fluxmonkey

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i'd be up for one, please...

b
krisp14u

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I got a copy of that book 2 weeks ago and was thinking a Super Controller would make a nice addition to the modular
put me down for 2 Smile
alfiollett

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm interested in one
bubblechamber

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i'll take at least 1
bugbrand

G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yup, one for me! Cheers!
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OMG!!!!

Another board?!?!?

Will someone do a board for the Paia Ribbon controller? They seem to have 'dropped' that project Evil or Very Mad

I suppose I should say YES, but I've still got to pay for the last one Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Shocked

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
goodrevdoc

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Can't say I'm not interested, but my sole SN is taking up residence in me SN-voice. Also I have only heard about the supercontroller, never having seen the documentation for it. Posting it here or anywhere is out of the question, but maybe a panel mock-up could display the general idea, beyond Fonik's description. Just 2 cents in the pot...
-justin
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I wouldn't mind seeing the Supercontroller mk2- which doesn't contain an SN Question
IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 24

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sure, I will take 2 for myself !!

Thanks !!!

Bill
ickystay

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm interested!

Can you design with something other than the 4136? I loved your resonator board, but wonder if there could be wider cap spacing to fit little AVX box caps.

No big deal as 4136's are still around and I have a variety of caps. Just a thought...

Edit- Something onboard to regulate +5vdc off the +15 rail would be cool.

Last edited by ickystay on Tue Apr 17, 2007 4:10 pm; edited 2 times in total
shawn

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'd consider 2 boards.
Thomas Henry

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Thomas Henry's SN76477 Super Controller
Subject description: is there an interest in professional manufactured PCBs?
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

fonik wrote:
hi all,

a great companion to the SN76477 Voice!?

Matthias makes an interesting point here. Just imagine if we lived in the halcyon days of cheap SN76477 chips at Radio Shack again. With a pair of these and not too many extra parts we could have come up with a very complete synth voice on an extremely small foot print. Apart from the missing VCF, such a combination would have been the equivalent of the Octave Plateau Kitten synth whose PCB was easily 10 times as big! I'm not kidding, either, having ripping into those those things quite a bit to tweak and tune them.
Thomas Henry

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

goodrevdoc wrote:
Can't say I'm not interested, but my sole SN is taking up residence in me SN-voice. Also I have only heard about the supercontroller, never having seen the documentation for it. Posting it here or anywhere is out of the question, but maybe a panel mock-up could display the general idea, beyond Fonik's description. Just 2 cents in the pot...
-justin

Actually, it's not out of the question. As I've mentioned before, a person need only ask and I almost always give permission (unless I'm planning on doing something with the circuit myself).

So, if someone actually asks me if it's okay to post SuperController stuff, I'll probably say yes, as long as it doesn't conflict with Matthias's plans to run off a PCB and cut into his hard work designing it.
chonald

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I would like one or two.
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thomas Henry wrote:

So, if someone actually asks me if it's okay to post SuperController stuff, I'll probably say yes, as long as it doesn't conflict with Matthias's plans to run off a PCB and cut into his hard work designing it.

As the DIY moderator at electro-music.com, I grant you full permission to post your SuperController stuff Very Happy

I'm sure the kind folks here would be more than pleased Thomas Cool

(I'll also okay it with Mosc- seeing that this is his forum)

Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 96

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Apart from the missing VCF, such a combination would have been the equivalent of the Octave Plateau Kitten synth

I would be willing to bet the missing VCF would be another small footprint hiding up the sleeve of Thomas Henry Very Happy

Put me down for one, Matthias.

Cheers,
Scott
Wild Zebra

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Will someone do a board for the Paia Ribbon controller? They seem to have 'dropped' that project
Yeh thated be cool it's too bad they don't have a kit

I voted but didn't post. So yeh, and I still need to muster up some scratch for a resonator pcb

State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 24

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Thomas Henry wrote:

As the DIY moderator at electro-music.com, I grant you full permission to post your SuperController stuff

I'm sure the kind folks here would be more than pleased Thomas

(I'll also okay it with Mosc- seeing that this is his forum)

Great guys !!! Thanks !

Bill
Thomas Henry

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:

As the DIY moderator at electro-music.com, I grant you full permission to post your SuperController stuff Very Happy

I'm sure the kind folks here would be more than pleased Thomas Cool

Well, actually, I don't have any SuperController stuff anymore. What I was getting at is that if anyone wants to post what they have here, it wouldn't bother me. The main thing is, don't post anything that would interfere with Matthias being able to make a PCB run worth his while.

Thomas Henry
CJ Miller

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wow, Thomas Henry's SN76477 frenzy continues!

Please do put me down for two PCBs.

A couple of suggestions - pads for both the regular DIP and shrink-DIP versions of the 76477 would be very helpful, most of only have one or the other. Also, replacing the 4136 with an op amp using a more standard TL074 type pinout would help most people out.

Huge respect and gratitude to Thomas and Matthias!
fonik

Audio files: 23

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

EDIT:
info moved to 1st post...

Last edited by fonik on Fri Apr 20, 2007 2:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Page 1 of 10 [232 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2, 3, ..., 8, 9, 10 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Thomas Henry designs
Jump to: