electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Articles  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links  |  Store
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
Live streaming at radio.electro-music.com

host / artist show at your time
  Rob Adventures in Sound
Please visit the chat
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Synbal
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [15 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
THeff

Audio files: 30

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 6:58 pm    Post subject: Synbal Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

All,

This same basic circuit is in the Synbal a project from E&MM Feb. 1983:

There is a Synbal (and Syntom) PCB floating around the web. I have built up one PCB for this and have another waiting to populate. With the filter on board it works very well. I will say that the overall pitch of the oscillators is rather unstable if there are any power supply glitches.

I can post the PCB if anybody wants it.

Regards,

Tim

[Note Blue Hell: this was split off from http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-20622.html where it started as a striking similarity, now turning into a project ]

synbal.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  40.48 KB
 Viewed:  505 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

synbal.gif

Nosferatu

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 5:26 am    Post subject: Re: Synbal noise / cymbal circuit Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Synbal, syntom, syndrum.

Edit: Many thanks to bluhell for maintaining thread consistency.

Last edited by Nosferatu on Thu Oct 18, 2007 1:07 pm; edited 2 times in total
fluxmonkey

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

THeff,

thanks for posting this... as i posted before, there's plenty of precidence for mixing multiple oscs together via gates, nice to see another example in the context of this discussion. including a filter has obvious advantages, a'la MFOS's WeirdSoundGenerator... would be great to get the PCB layout if you don't mind.

and gratitutde extends to anyone who goes out of their way to post information to add to the collective knowbase... your generosity deserves only praise, not public scolding...

b
THeff

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 3:30 pm    Post subject: Synbal...more info Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi bbob,

Thanks for noticing the similarity!

Hmmm...let me see 6 cmos oscillators using 40106 inverters, mixed with 4070 xor gates, and a pitch adjustment by setting the oscillator B+ voltage. Seems rather similar to the schematic at the top of this thread!

The Synbal is only a percussion device if you use it that way. Change the feedback resistors in the cmos oscillators with potentiometers and you will get amazing "machine sounds". You also get a white noise generator, nice voltage controlled filter, trigger circuit, and stereo panning.

I only mentioned it on this thread to let people know that the pcb from this article is on the web and might make it a lot easier to build.

I was going to remove it until I noticed that it had been viewed 12 times, so I guess there is some interest out there.

Anyway, the pcb is attached and I will add the rest of the article to show the parts placement on the pcb. The article was scanned by a guy that goes by the name "Synth Ollie" so he gets all the credit! Laughing

Enjoy,

Tim

Synbal PCB Layout.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  418.48 KB
 Viewed:  518 Time(s)

Synbal PCB Layout.jpg

sy1.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  678.19 KB
 Viewed:  375 Time(s)

sy1.gif

sy2.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  709.41 KB
 Viewed:  365 Time(s)

sy2.gif

sy3.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  809.14 KB
 Viewed:  469 Time(s)

sy3.gif

Blue Hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 147
G2 patch files: 318

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Synbal...more info Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

THeff wrote:
Seems rather similar to the schematic at the top of this thread!

Yup, I think so. Still this is developing into a new project that deserves a thread of it's own. So I'll be splitting off some posts to a new topic "Synbal".

factus10

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Awesome! I've been thinking about the EM&M drum circuits of late. So... what about the Syntom, etc Wink
THeff

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:10 pm    Post subject: Syntom II, also... Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi factus10,

The Syntom II article is here:

http://www.experimentalistsanonymous.com/diy/forums.html?subdir=Schematics%2FFull%20Synths%20Drum%20Synths%20and%20Misc%20Synth&sortby=name

The PCB is attached. Once again the credit for the PCB scan goes to Synth Ollie.

Enjoy,

Tim

Syntom II PCB Layout.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  343.69 KB
 Viewed:  405 Time(s)

Syntom II PCB Layout.jpg

synth_ollie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Synbal...more info Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

THeff wrote:
The article was scanned by a guy that goes by the name "Synth Ollie" so he gets all the credit! Laughing

I guess that must be me then! Very Happy
23isgood

Audio files: 13

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This circuit is almost exactly like Ken Stone's, Cynare. I would like to build one of these.
THeff

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:02 am    Post subject:  Greetings to Synth Ollie Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Synth Ollie!

We have never spoken before, but thank you for scanning these pages. I have made several of the Synbal and Syntom II pcbs as a result of your efforts and they work great. I perfboarded the MIDI/Trigger section from Trevor Pages's 9090 and it works very well as the controller for Synbal, Syntom II and other misc. percussion circuits floating around. I have also triggered these guys from the Klee 2 sequencer and that was fun. I want to setup a complete percussion section similar to the Russian link that was on YouTube. It looks like the web link for the Russian sight has been removed.

Thanks again!

Regards,

Tim
Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 96

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
your generosity deserves only praise,

Especially in light of the fact you're the only guy I know who could perf the thing up in the time it took to write the post Laughing

THeff

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:08 pm    Post subject:  Perfboards... Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks Scott, but I must of told you a million times not ro exaggerate! Laughing

Tim
ickystay

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Big thanks to synth_ollie!
San

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Anyone with music samples?
n.d

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Not my channel, but here are some useful videos, soundwise..

https://www.youtube.com/user/tecbugdemos?feature=watch
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [15 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: