electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
lunetta sound samples
Page 3 of 13 [311 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, ..., 11, 12, 13 Next
RF

Audio files: 28

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wow - That's a really nice one Slacker. What are you using in that patch?

bruce

"I want to make these sounds that go wooo-wooo-ah-woo-woo.”
(Herb Deutsch to Bob Moog ~1963)
slacker

Audio files: 11
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks

For that patch I was using the little melody generator I mentioned in my other post, with a 4024 clocking the ABC inputs, and an audio rate clock into the clock input. The output from that was then fed into the clock input of a 4089 set up like this, and this was clocked with different pins from the 4024.

In the second half of the clip I fed a second audio rate clock into the Clock enable pin of the 4017 to get the ringmod type sounds. The different melody is from using a different combination of 4024 outputs to clock the chips.

Here's a quick schematic of the melody generator, like I said I can't take any credit it for it I just took it from voks's schematic. I think I'll hardwire one when I build my Lunetta but you could just patch it up if you already have the chips in yours.
You can take the output from any of the 4017 outputs and get different patterns.

melodygenerator.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  8.26 KB
 Viewed:  1498 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

melodygenerator.png

Last edited by slacker on Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:22 pm; edited 4 times in total
stolenfat

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

that melody generator makes some cool sounds, would you mind explaining how the 4052 and the 4017 interact together to produce those sounds?
slacker

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Basically, the length of the pulses on the 4017 pin 3 (Out) in relation to the clock pulses on pin 14 (In) depend on which number it's counting up to. If it counts to 2 it's twice as long so half the frequency of the clock, if it counts to 3 it's 3 times as long so a third of the frequency and so on.

The outputs of the 4017 connect to the inputs on the 4051, and the output connects back to the 4017's reset pin. The signals on the A,B and C pins set which output gets connected to reset and this sets the number the 4017 will count up to, and therefore what note it will produce.

To make it play tunes you feed an audio speed signal into the 4017 clock Input and feed different clock signals into the ABC inputs. Changing the combination of signals on those pins gives you the different notes and patterns.

The 4017 clock enable (pin13) adds modulation, at slow speeds you get tremolo effects and higher speeds give ring mod type sounds.

Hope that makes sense.
stolenfat

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thanks for the explanation, big help!
slacker

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here's another couple of little pieces. I've been listening to the great stuff in the Klee musics thread so these inspired by that.
I whacked the output through a delay pedal into an amp and then recorded that so there's a bit of hum and the odd crackle.
The first one gets a bit loud at the end, so watch your speakers Very Happy

blocks.jpg
 Description:
Lunetta doing its thing.
 Filesize:  133.61 KB
 Viewed:  713 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

blocks.jpg

sequence.mp3
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  sequence.mp3
 Filesize:  2.14 MB
 Downloaded:  1845 Time(s)

growl.mp3
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  growl.mp3
 Filesize:  728.2 KB
 Downloaded:  1639 Time(s)

cthulu

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

stolenfat wrote:
so with this schematic, you could technically set up 2 ring mods, with 4 inputs using pins 1,2,5,6,8,9,12,13?

If so, best ring mod schematic i've found yet.

This one is my favourite ring modulator. It's the same one used in the MS20 except that one is realised with
NAND gates. With a 4070 you get 4 (quasi)ring modulators...
Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

ps. these are all nice samples... Smile
RF

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Very nice sounds Slacker!

How much knob twisting are you doing on the first one?

slacker

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks.
In the first one the basic pattern's driven by a counter, but the pitch slides to a new pattern are done with a knob. Then the tempo and pitch changes and the filtery sound at the end are knob twiddling.

I need to get some shift registers and gates built to add some more variation and randomness and try some more noisy things.
telstarmagikistferrari

Audio files: 43

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

awesome thread, awesome stuff being documented! keep it up slacker..
slacker

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Lunetta does happy hardcore Very Happy

hardcore.mp3
 Description:
Lunetta does Happy Hardcore

Download
 Filename:  hardcore.mp3
 Filesize:  793.91 KB
 Downloaded:  1798 Time(s)

telstarmagikistferrari

Audio files: 43

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

very nice slacker! I've been getting some similar jams using RF's 4051 Pattern Generator.. it's a whiz for modifying sequences with the flip of a (choice of eight) switch(es). I love it, thanks (again) RF! REALLY useful module everyone.
Mark
slacker

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cool I'll have to try it.

Here's another clip, bit different this one, sort of an ambient thing. Just the lunetta with a load of reverb. It's a bit long and it doesn't really go anywhere. I might try overdubbing something over it to make it more interesting.

Soundscape.mp3
Rykhaard

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

slacker wrote:
Cool I'll have to try it.

Here's another clip, bit different this one, sort of an ambient thing. Just the lunetta with a load of reverb. It's a bit long and it doesn't really go anywhere. I might try overdubbing something over it to make it more interesting.

Soundscape.mp3

WHOA! Surprised That is one of the best Lunetta tracks I've heard yet! Hat's off to ya! Surprised Very Happy
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 277
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That's some nice Lunetta stuff Slacker, keep 'm coming !
droffset

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Please enjoy this meager sample of my kick ass supercharged hot-n-spicy Lunetta.
http://droffset.com/sound/birthOfALunetta.mp3

No effects, just some editing and fading in and out. I used Audacity for recording.

Thanks everyone for helping me get started in this. Smile
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 211
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

These are all excellent sound examples. I wish I could comment on all of them. I love these sounds for some reason.

For my taste, no effects is the best. Just a matter of taste though of course.

Droffset, nice one. it has the feel of a musical composition as its sound evolves.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Rykhaard

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
These are all excellent sound examples. I wish I could comment on all of them. I love these sounds for some reason.

Droffset, nice one. it has the feel of a musical composition as its sound evolves.

That, as you said Howard, is what had impressed me so much about Droffset's 'tune'. More organized than random - mood evoking through the entire piece. How it were done though, brought me to the point of deciding on it being a 'keeper'. Smile

Why don't you bring your wonderful looking machine back to life, Howard? I'd imagine everything in it is still functioning. Hook'er up and record away for all of us! Very Happy
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Rykhaard wrote:

Why don't you bring your wonderful looking machine back to life, Howard? I'd imagine everything in it is still functioning. Hook'er up and record away for all of us! Very Happy

Thanks for the encouragement. My life is a vessel constantly being filled with things undone. Still, I would really like to get it going again.

I feel, in some way, that all the wonderful instruments and music being generated by you and the others in this community are somehow descendants of my Lunetta.

Still, there's nothing sadder than an instrument in disrepair.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Rykhaard

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:

Thanks for the encouragement. My life is a vessel constantly being filled with things undone. Still, I would really like to get it going again.

I feel, in some way, that all the wonderful instruments and music being generated by you and the others in this community are somehow descendants of my Lunetta.

Still, there's nothing sadder than an instrument in disrepair.

Then all together, as I see it, that's all the more encouragement to bring the beast out, give a good going over. After making sure everyone inside her is ok, just flipping on the recorder and joining as! Very Happy

Afterall, thanks to you intially Howard, this huge interest has taken off! It'd be cool to hear your knob twiddlings as well. Smile Smile

Off I am now with my RCA CMOS Databook, to shop in the CMOS isle at my local supplier. Twisted Evil
RF

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:

Indeed they are, mosc!

bruce

Rykhaard

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

RF wrote:
mosc wrote:

Indeed they are, mosc!

bruce

Oooo. I forgot to reply to that part.

Definitely Howard. In that aspect: great thanks and respect for it, to yourself as well as Stanley Lunetta, as well as the originator from the earlier 1900s that I have a photo of, with his machines that he'd built then. (Still trying to find his name. Sad )
Rykhaard

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Otay boys and girls! (The latter, I THINK! LOL)

Here's my 2nd mp3 from my Lunetta machine that I'm building. I took a new photo of it, whilst I were recording the 4:44 long piece as well.

The modules that were used for this mp3 were:

- 40106 Osc. #1 (47 to roughly 4700HZ) that's hooked up to the input of 1 of my 3 Voltage Controllable / Manually Controllable SPDT switches

- 40106 Osc. #4 (47 to roughly 4700HZ) that's hooked up to the 1 of 3, 3 input audio mixers that I completed tonight

- 40106 Osc. #6 (2 to roughly 250HZ) that's first hooked up to a multiple. From there it feeds the Clock Input of 1 of my 2 4015 4 bit Shift Registers. The other multiple connection is going to the Voltage Control of the SPDT switch

- 4023 Pulse Width Osc. #1's output is being fed into the 3 input audio mixer; Modulation Input #1 is coming from Shift Register Output #3; Modulation Input #2 is coming from Shift Register Output #2

- VC SPDT Switch #1: Output A is going to the 3rd input of the 3 Input Audio Mixer; Output B is going to the Data Input of the Shift Register

And that, is the entire patch. Smile (I have another photo of it that I can include if anyone's curious.) I hope y'all enjoy the track! Very Happy I myself after listening to it at least 10 times, wished that I had continued recording! Surprised

Oh yeah - it's recorded in Mono, and the ONLY effect, is a long reverb time, from my 8 bit Korg reverb unit.
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

TheModularDeathlehemMachineNumber8-BackIn1965-Mar0509
That's a very catchy title. Smile
I like it.

droffset

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks Mosc, having a very good time with the project. It's meant to feel like a composition, but it was a bit more 'wrangled' than composed. Smile

mosc wrote:

Page 3 of 13 [311 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, ..., 11, 12, 13 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
Jump to: