electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Finally!!! Nord Modular G2 OS & G2 Editor 1.62 (UPDATED)
Page 5 of 7 [161 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 Next
Static Motion

G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

cl516 wrote:
i'm about to pickup a G2 engine:

so what's the word,

Use 1.40 for the Synth OS

and use the 1.62 Editor?

The computers I'll be using it with will be:
Mac Pro and White Macbook,
will not be plugging into any Hubs.

Yup, until the 1.62 editor is updated (and 100% working), that the way to go.
The 1.62 editor is working fine with the 1.40 OS here, on an Intel-Mac OSX 10.4.11.
But I asume this works fine for 10.5 also...

Happy patching Wink
purusha

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Did anyone ever say what mods might have actually been made to the G2 firmware with 1.62? I'm intrigued... Smile
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 277
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

purusha wrote:
Did anyone ever say what mods might have actually been made to the G2 firmware with 1.62? I'm intrigued... Smile

Well ... actually someone did say something Laughing

Clavia's Magnus Kjellander said that nothing was changed on the synth OS. I didn't pay too much attention when he said that, as everything works fine for me with the last OS, but my folow up question, in retrospect, should have been: only the version number was changed?

purusha

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Really!? The plot thickens then...

Smile

jksuperstar

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 18

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sounds like the DSP code didn't change, but something had to change, otherwise the 1.40 USB device would still talk with the 1.62 drivers.
purusha

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

...but, new USB driver and editor do seem to work with the older G2 firmware/OS. In fact, that's what's being suggested as the better way to work by folks in this thread.

I don't know for sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if the only difference in the firmware/OS was a new version number.

Smile

I'm going to continue using the latest OS, but am making sure I back everything up in case it all goes pear-shaped.

blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

In the OS update utility there is a large resource of 512 kB that I assume to be the synth OS. I extracted that resource for both the 1.62 and the 1.40 version and then did a file comapre on the resuls, they are equal ... so I'm not sure where the version info is kept Shocked

Edit : oops .. I did something wrong ... I copied one over the other, no wonder they were the same ... will redo this test later when at home ...

blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ok, that was nonsense what I wrote before ... the dumps are wildly different ... didn't check though if its a shift or that maybe it is encrypted, but a linear comparison indicated that almost no bytes matched.
purusha

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So far (touch wood), I haven't hit these issues.

Having said that, I have managed to lock-up my unit by sending relatively rapid program change messages over MIDI (I had MIDI out on my NL3 hooked to MIDI in on my G2).

I'm wondering if G2 can get swamped / overloaded by certain types of message - possibly either over USB or MIDI. If it were to lock up half-way through writing a patch, perhaps that would cause effective corruption?

Brain-storming I know, but I'm short on other ideas...

Wink

buzzr

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This update is so buggy, I'm not even going to upgrade.

Nord, you really need to fix these problems Shocked
Roland Kuit

Audio files: 8
G2 patch files: 127

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i can't save a pch/perf in synth. does someone experience the same problem?
doctorno

G2 patch files: 8

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

purusha wrote:
...but, new USB driver and editor do seem to work with the older G2 firmware/OS. In fact, that's what's being suggested as the better way to work by folks in this thread.

I don't know for sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if the only difference in the firmware/OS was a new version number.

If this was true, why should the G2 be more stable with OS 1.4 than OS 1.62 - and it obviously is more stable with the old OS.
ark

Audio files: 13
G2 patch files: 31

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

doctorno wrote:
If this was true, why should the G2 be more stable with OS 1.4 than OS 1.62 - and it obviously is more stable with the old OS.
Is it? I found that the G2 is more stable with 1.4 than with 1.62 when it is connected to a computer but I did not test it when it is not connected. Has someone else done so?
purusha

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That's the impression I got too.

Mind, I've so far not had any issues. I'm now using the latest nord driver - he one they've posted up for nord wave.

ark

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

purusha wrote:
Mind, I've so far not had any issues. I'm now using the latest nord driver - he one they've posted up for nord wave.

Can you try the following experiment:

1) Connect your G2 to your computer.
2) Launch the G2 editor.
3) Turn the knob to select a random patch, hit "Load patch"
4) Repeat 50 times, each time loading a new patch as soon as the old one finishes.

Does it ever hang? Or do you get tired of loading patches first?
ark

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

roland kuit wrote:
i can't save a pch/perf in synth. does someone experience the same problem?
What exactly have you tried? What happens when you try?
purusha

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've seen the lock-up you describe Ark, but I'm pretty sure that was just after the Vista drivers and new OS were released.

I've just tried it with the new drivers and I can't get it to lock-up so far.

ark

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

purusha wrote:
I've just tried it with the new drivers and I can't get it to lock-up so far.
Yes -- that's the theory I'm trying to test.

The drivers were replaced to fix a lock-up problem with another one of Nord's products, so I'm wondering whether they fix this one also.
Rivelen

Audio files: 3
G2 patch files: 12

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

to Roland :
i experienced same thing some times ago,
i could not save some patch on the machine, it caused a hang.
i sent an email to clavia and a gentleman from there replied me that the OS 1.6 has probably revealed some memory corruption on my G2.
here is the fix :

"1. Use the Editor to make a total backup of all patches and performance in your unit. You need to save everything on your computer hard drive. And do not forget to verify that these backups can actually be loaded back to the G2 after you have saved them.

2. When you are certain that you have backups and copies of all your important files, we want you to erase all the content of the G2 flash memory. Here is how to do this:

a. Shut down the G2 and then hold the Performance Mode, Display Mode and Store buttons while you power the unit up. Keep holding until the G2 Testprg is visible in the display.

b. The lower line in the display will show: MNB - PNL - EXP and SYS. Press the Keyboard Assign D button to enter the SYS tests .

c. Use the right arrow navigator button to scroll to the ERASE FFS action. This is an eraser for the flash memory, and when activated will format the entire flash. Every program, patch and performance will be erased in the G2.

d. Press the A button to "run" the eraser.
or (it depend on your g2 hardware version)
You start the process by pressing: Shift, Patch Load, Store and Patch Settings, 4 buttons at the same time.

e. When this is completed, turn off the G2 and then back on. Reload your programs and try saving again.

If this was not successful, do it again but select the ERASE ALL which is found after the ERASE FFS option. This will force you to reload the OS, I would go for the 1.6 first. If this still produces errors, downgrade to 1.4. "

This fix was ok for me. i just had a problem to re-import the perfs in the machine, i had to load each one by one, could not load by bank...

I suspect some patch from the NM->G2 conversion to be bad formed and have corrupted the memory (?), because the problem happened again just after i played with the NMG2 archive... but i'm not sure..maybe it's a clue..i don't want to blame anyone.

i hope it work for you.

cheers
ark

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

For what it's worth, I just tried loading 1.62 into my G2 with the 2.16 USB driver.

NO problems so far! In particular, I tried loading a bunch of patches into the G2 in a way that caused it to crash with the 2.14 driver, and I could not get it to crash.

Of course it may be that this memory corruption problem is widespread; but I am hoping it is not.

Why do I care, you may ask? Because if I cannot get 1.62 working in a satisfactory way, I intend to buy a netbook running Windows XP while I still can, to be sure I have a computer that I can use to edit G2 patches as long as possible. But if, on the other hand, I can be confident of using Vista and (presumably) Windows 7, I expect I'll be able to continue using my G2 for at least 5 years more than I would otherwise, and that's a big deal.
purusha

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Understood. I can't say my evidence is conclusive, but so far - no similar issues.
Roland Kuit

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hi ark and revelin,
i have 2 g2 engines not with perf knobs.
like the beta software, the 1.6 software can't save pch/perfs.
the 'save in synth' (in synth dropdown menu) is not high lighted
(grey instead of black).
so how should i clean my g2's?
one progress in comparison to the beta version is:
when i startup the editor, it makes direct contact with the g2's.
with the beta software i had to double click a pch/perf, then the editor
opened with contact to the g2's. i use vista btw.
Rivelen

Audio files: 3
G2 patch files: 12

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

oh, it seems you have a different problem than mine..
so the save option is not active.... sounds like a driver or editor problem..
maybe try reinstalling the software package (?)
Roland Kuit

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thanks for your quick replie, i'll do that when i'm at home.
ark

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

roland kuit wrote:
like the beta software, the 1.6 software can't save pch/perfs.
the 'save in synth' (in synth dropdown menu) is not high lighted
(grey instead of black).

That's odd. I have a G2 Keyboard and Windows XP, and the "save in synth" option is in black on my copy of the editor.
Page 5 of 7 [161 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Jump to: